Graeme Sharp

Should Graeme Sharp be welcomed back?

• Yes

• No

• Scottish mature cheddar on barra brith

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe that was his actual opinion though?

Are we really making a pariah of a club legend for having an opinion and being on the board for a few months at the end?

I don't know how some of you hold so much hatred all the time but each to their own I guess.
Because actions and words speak louder than great performances 40 years ago.

I'm not old enough to have watched him play, same as many others, and we respect that he was a fantastic player.

As a mouthpiece he went against the fans whenever, it's not about a few months, he was always in Kenwright's pocket, and he's catching flak for this right now, which should be justified. We shouldn't run on sentimentality ever again as that's a part of our problem(s) anyway.

Are we really making a pariah of a club legend for having an opinion and being on the board for a few months at the end?

I don't know how some of you hold so much hatred all the time but each to their own I guess.
He was sniffing Kenwright's pants and towing the party line long before he got on the board.

Ask yourself why haven't we heard from him since he's had his handsome pay out?

weird defending someone who was part of a attack on the fans (you) but each to there own I guess

Because actions and words speak louder than great performances 40 years ago.

I'm not old enough to have watched him play, same as many others, and we respect that he was a fantastic player.

As a mouthpiece he went against the fans whenever, it's not about a few months, he was always in Kenwright's pocket, and he's catching flak for this right now, which should be justified. We shouldn't run on sentimentality ever again as that's a part of our problem(s) anyway.
Yeah I would imagine that the most vocal against him are the ones that were not old enough to see him play.

I don't love his opinion being swept away as being in Kenwright's pocket either. Maybe they were his genuine opinions, should he be slated for that?

Every club has some form of sentimentality. I suppose we will see if it was a problem soon enough, a good middle ground is probably the best option.

He was sniffing Kenwright's pants and towing the party line long before he got on the board.

Ask yourself why haven't we heard from him since he's had his handsome pay out?
Why would we have heard from him?

But I think you may have answered your own question, I "handsome pay out" probably comes with some sort of non disclosure clause right?

Again, rightly or wrongly could they not have just been his genuine opinions instead of some "party line" conspiracy?

To be fair he probably hates us because we started to boo him (and Reid) at the end of their career with us.

Yeah I would imagine that the most vocal against him are the ones that were not old enough to see him play.

I don't love his opinion being swept away as being in Kenwright's pocket either. Maybe they were his genuine opinions, should he be slated for that?

Every club has some form of sentimentality. I suppose we will see if it was a problem soon enough, a good middle ground is probably the best option.
Some on here are and have seen him - this is, once again, not about the football player Graeme Sharp. It's about the mouthpiece Graeme Sharp, who was very vocal against fans around Kenwright, and is now silent and hiding under a rock, likely to never come back.

If it was his genuine opinion and he wasn't a Kenwright mouthpiece he's had almost infinite opportunities to come out and either defend himself or say literally anything - he hasn't, he's doubled down in what Kenwright believes.

Every club does, true - so they sign ex-pros as ambassadors mostly. We gave him airtime and he was arguing with fans mate, then he was given a board role with a no doubt decent payout by the same person he defended, which makes it even more obvious what the agenda was as he's nowhere to be seen since Kenwright's no longer controlling anything. We're stuck on the sentimentality of "he was a great player" for too many players who are well below average at their current job, or worse (Unsworth, Ferguson, etc.), and will probably keep doing so as we cannot learn as an organisation that this is a results game, not a sentimentality game. Coleman is likely gonna get a first team coaching job here based on "he was decent 10 years ago" by the time he retires for the same reason.

Why would we have heard from him?

But I think you may have answered your own question, I "handsome pay out" probably comes with some sort of non disclosure clause right?

Again, rightly or wrongly could they not have just been his genuine opinions instead of some "party line" conspiracy?

To be fair he probably hates us because we started to boo him (and Reid) at the end of their career with us.
I respect you as a poster mate,but I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Does seem to be a bit of a divide here with people who seen him play and just want to remember him as the legend that he is for the club. I understand that the memories he gave people back then give them a inclination to forgive him or even just forget.

Then theres the people who didn't see him play whos only frame of reference in their life time is a man who was part of the board that nearly killed the club. Who attacked the fans When the club was in turmoil and needed the fans more then ever. Who instead of embracing us and holding themselves accountable for what they did. They tried to cause division in the fan base all because their egos mattered more then the survival of the club we love.

Doing nothing is the same as being complicit and i believe he was complicit. He was free to walk away from the board at any time but he didn't. He could of refused his pay off at a time when that money could of really helped the club, he didn't.

At the end of the day he was a willing stooge who happily sat there leaching as much money as he could out of the club and attacking our fan base for nothing more then to fill his own pockets.

So no i wouldnt welcome him back and there's plenty of other ex players who where exiled from everton for daring to speak out about kenwright and his faults. They should be welcomed back as soon as possible because they did the right thing and they were punished for it.

Where sharp did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. He made his bed let him lie in it, a long way from any everton stadium.

Does seem to be a bit of a divide here with people who seen him play and just want to remember him as the legend that he is for the club. I understand that the memories he gave people back then give them a inclination to forgive him or even just forget.

Then theres the people who didn't see him play whos only frame of reference in their life time is a man who was part of the board that nearly killed the club. Who attacked the fans When the club was in turmoil and needed the fans more then ever. Who instead of embracing us and holding themselves accountable for what they did. They tried to cause division in the fan base all because their egos mattered more then the survival of the club we love.

Doing nothing is the same as being complicit and i believe he was complicit. He was free to walk away from the board at any time but he didn't. He could of refused his pay off at a time when that money could of really helped the club, he didn't.

At the end of the day he was a willing stooge who happily sat there leaching as much money as he could out of the club and attacking our fan base for nothing more then to fill his own pockets.

So no i wouldnt welcome him back and there's plenty of other ex players who where exiled from everton for daring to speak out about kenwright and his faults. They should be welcomed back as soon as possible because they did the right thing and they were punished for it.

Where sharp did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. He made his bed let him lie in it, a long way from any everton stadium.

There's some of us who fall into both brackets mate, Sharp was my favourite player when I was a young lad (for reference, I was 6 when he left).

I just can't reconcile Sharp the player and Sharp the Kenwright lackey in my head.

If I saw him at Goodison I of course wouldn't direct any grief at him, in spite of what he thinks of us, but if anyone expects that myself or anyone else who has been genuinely angered by his words on several occasions should actively 'welcome' him, nah, not a chance.

He doesn't deserve a jot of it until he acknowledges his part in the near destruction of the club he claims to love.
He can keep his payoff.

Reading through all the autobiographies from the 80's and 90's, it seems Sharp was a moaning git from about 1986 onwards, and alongside Ratcliffe seemed to cause the division in the dressing room that ruined the team from about 1988 onwards. Seems he hated the fact the new players got paid a lot, and resented the fact they wouldn't go out on the lash every Tuesday.

Genuinely excellent centre forward (we actually nosedived further after he left in 1991) but not a man to bring onto the board unless you are just a floundering chairman desperate to improve your PR. Anyway, he's burnt his bridges now and I suspect he doesn't give two hoots.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.