Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Groucho's Fact Hunt

The discovery of petroleum in the US threatened the livelihood of sperm whale oil chemist Robert Chesebrough.

But curious for opportunity, he travelled to the oilfields of Pennsylvania to discover workers had been soothing their cuts and burns with a residue left on the oil pumps.

Cheseborough would later extract a jelly from the residue, and patented it on May 14, 1878.

He named the product Vaseline, and was such an advocate that he would eat a spoonful of it every day.

Queen Victoria was so taken with Vaseline that she granted Cheseborough a knighthood.
Was it not called petroleum jelly first?

In 1979 there was a 150th year celebration and the ran every old steam train they could getup and down that section of Rainhill track.
I took pictures from the school field at the back of Whiston Hospital, with a shight camera, of as many as I could, I'll try and dig them out, I doubt they're all there though as Mrs degsy had a sort out ages ago and I think she biffed out all the ones that didn't have the kids in them - women.
I went to that as a kid, be great to see some photos.

I went to that as a kid, be great to see some photos.
Like I said, there are a few in a box somewhere, but mrs degsy had a clean out one time...as they do...could've been prior to a move?...and biffed out any that didn't have one or both of the kids in them...however in the distance they were.
It's on my list of things to do one day

In the movie American Psycho, when the detective (Willem Dafoe) first meets Bateman to question him about a disappearance, the director Mary Harron asked Dafoe to play it three different ways - unsuspecting, suspecting, and certain that Bateman was the murderer. Parts from each take were then spliced together to give the final scene - gives that un-real and unsettling feel that the whole film has.

In the movie American Psycho, when the detective (Willem Dafoe) first meets Bateman to question him about a disappearance, the director Mary Harron asked Dafoe to play it three different ways - unsuspecting, suspecting, and certain that Bateman was the murderer. Parts from each take were then spliced together to give the final scene - gives that un-real and unsettling feel that the whole film has.

So Christian Bale has played Bateman and Batman.

Love this info, speaking of Psycho's do you know about the choice of colour of Janet Leigh lingerie in Psycho?

She starts out in white, symbolism for purity and innocence but after her crime of stealing she wears black
black.webpwhite.webp

Same with her handbag and dress in the office, white to dark once she is a criminal

handbag.webpoffice.webp

The discovery of petroleum in the US threatened the livelihood of sperm whale oil chemist Robert Chesebrough.

But curious for opportunity, he travelled to the oilfields of Pennsylvania to discover workers had been soothing their cuts and burns with a residue left on the oil pumps.

Cheseborough would later extract a jelly from the residue, and patented it on May 14, 1878.

He named the product Vaseline, and was such an advocate that he would eat a spoonful of it every day.

Queen Victoria was so taken with Vaseline that she granted Cheseborough a knighthood.

That tight, was she?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back