• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group A: Germany, Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland

We finished second in our group behind Spain. I don't think our magnificent qualification had anything to do with expanding tournaments.

So they qualified ahead of Norway, Georgia, and Cyprus. Quite the achievement!

Like I said, Scotland have just as much right as anyone to be there. Just don’t personally see them doing very well.

Like I said, Scotland have just as much right as anyone to be there. Just don’t personally see them doing very well.
Results since we qualified have been rubbish, but the last 2 years have seen some great results which have not only seen us qualify for the Euros, but also get promoted into the top group in the nations league thing.

Certainly don't have the conceited optimism that England do, but if they can click again the next few weeks, then they could spring a few surprises.

*or get knocked out in the group stages with zero.points 😂

Yes, we did. And we topped the group for most of the campaign, which included a win over Spain. Thanks for recognising our achievement. I'm not sure why you're being so sniffy about Scotland qualifying. We can only play the teams we get drawn against. I don't think we need to be all apologetic about it. I personally don't see us doing very well either, but that probably applies to most teams there. If tournaments were just made up of the few that have a realistic chance, the Euros, WC, CL etc would consist of a handful of teams. Scotland aren't going to win anything, but we've got a decent young team and we, generally, seems to be going in the right direction.
It could be worse, we could have a team choc full of bona fide world class players, all over the pitch, and get pumped aff Iceland....

Results since we qualified have been rubbish, but the last 2 years have seen some great results which have not only seen us qualify for the Euros, but also get promoted into the top group in the nations league thing.

Certainly don't have the conceited optimism that England do, but if they can click again the next few weeks, then they could spring a few surprises.

I've got a, small but noticeable, sense of optimism about this year. Which, as a Scot, usually means it'll be a disaster. The Germany game is probably a step too far. But I reckon we can get a result against the Swiss and Hungary.

I’m not overly optimistic about England’s chances either.

Yes, we did. And we topped the group for most of the campaign, which included a win over Spain. Thanks for recognising our achievement. I'm not sure why you're being so sniffy about Scotland qualifying. We can only play the teams we get drawn against. I don't think we need to be all apologetic about it. I personally don't see us doing very well either, but that probably applies to most teams there. If tournaments were just made up of the few that have a realistic chance, the Euros, WC, CL etc would consist of a handful of teams. Scotland aren't going to win anything, but we've got a decent young team and we, generally, seems to be going in the right direction.
It could be worse, we could have a team choc full of bona fide world class players, all over the pitch, and get pumped aff Iceland....

I’m not sniffy about their qualification, just don’t see them doing very well. Won’t be sad if I’m wrong about that, as I don’t have anything against Scotland.

Gonna be funny when you get spanked every single game.

I've got a, small but noticeable, sense of optimism about this year. Which, as a Scot, usually means it'll be a disaster. The Germany game is probably a step too far. But I reckon we can get a result against the Swiss and Hungary.
I wouldn't completely dismiss a draw with the Germans. They'll be under huge pressure and this particular group are very flaky. I'd expect Germany to win - but so will they, and therein lies your chance...

Well, ask yourself what is a "run"? In this tournament, Germany are certain to make the last 16. Three teams will come out of four groups. This is probably one of those. Beat Scotland, draw with Hungary and Switzerland and they'll likely play someone like Croatia or Italy in the last 16. They won't fancy either of those. Historically, they are among the very few countries that tend to do well against Germany. If they do win that match, is that a run? I'd say it is and it'll likely be as far as they get. Semi finalists at a stretch, but barring Wirtz or Musiala becoming the absolute stars of the tournament, that defence will let them down.

In their favour, however, is the reality that this is the first tournament since, probably, 2010 where they aren't going to be complacent. But having grown up on absolute powerhouse German sides, this one is as weak as they've been since, ooh, 2000-2004. And you'd probably need to go back to the pre-war days prior to that to find as ordinary a German squad.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they got to the semis TBH though that would likely mean a tough QF against Spain I think

Wouldn’t surprise me if they got to the semis TBH though that would likely mean a tough QF against Spain I think
They won't beat Italy and Spain in consecutive matches. Germany, at their best, steamroll the vast majority of sides, but they have always had problems against very technical, savvy, bloody-minded Latins. Historically, they have struggled against Yugoslavia, Serbia, and Croatia. Even if they managed to win some of those games, they have usually found themselves in a fight. Their record against Italy is not good. Their recent record against Spain is appalling. But, at home, these facts might work to their advantage in that they won't be complacent against either of those.

They won't beat Italy and Spain in consecutive matches. Germany, at their best, steamroll the vast majority of sides, but they have always had problems against very technical, savvy, bloody-minded Latins. Historically, they have struggled against Yugoslavia, Serbia, and Croatia. Even if they managed to win some of those games, they have usually found themselves in a fight. Their record against Italy is not good. Their recent record against Spain is appalling. But, at home, these facts might work to their advantage in that they won't be complacent against either of those.
Will they have to play Italy and Spain consecutively? I think they’ll play the runner up of Englands group in the last 16, then the winner of spains group in the QF.

Will they have to play Italy and Spain consecutively? I think they’ll play the runner up of Englands group in the last 16, then the winner of spains group in the QF.
If they don't win their group - which is a serious possibility - and finish second, they will play the second-placed team in the Spain, Italy, and Croatia group. Every single one of those is a negative opponent for Germany. If they win that game, they will then face England, if England win their group and then win their last 16 match against a third-placed side.

That's not a pathway to success for this Germany, in my opinion. They might well beat England if they get that far, but that last 16 match looks perilous.

If they do win their group, their last 16 game is against the second-placed side in England's group: so, again, it could be England, Denmark, or Serbia. Win that, and the quarter-final is most likely against the winner of the Spain, Croatia, and Italy group. Again, a nasty enough route.

And, let's face it, if they only get through in third then they'll hold no fears for anyone.

I can't see them making the final four unless Gareth and co are as bad as their heaviest critics suggest...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back