• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group A: Germany, Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland

I wouldn't completely dismiss a draw with the Germans. They'll be under huge pressure and this particular group are very flaky. I'd expect Germany to win - but so will they, and therein lies your chance...
Aye, current form aside, it's Germany in their own back garden and will always be difficult to say the least. But, you make good points there and it's almost a free hit. We're as well going for it against them as no one expects us to get a result.

Aye, current form aside, it's Germany in their own back garden and will always be difficult to say the least. But, you make good points there and it's almost a free hit. We're as well going for it against them as no one expects us to get a result.
I think if you go out there and enjoy it, the pressure is all on them. Here in Berlin, the build-up is low key, but Germany will be expected to win on Friday, and I don't think that's a given. Scotland are capable of making it very tight - and could be very awkward opponents for a side under pressure who have no real history of performance. This German group has plenty to prove.

Above all, Scotland has got to find a way of not being tragic losers - as they were against Brazil in 1998. Force the Germans to beat you with a bit of magic. You never know, these German lads might not be capable of it...

If they don't win their group - which is a serious possibility - and finish second, they will play the second-placed team in the Spain, Italy, and Croatia group. Every single one of those is a negative opponent for Germany. If they win that game, they will then face England, if England win their group and then win their last 16 match against a third-placed side.

That's not a pathway to success for this Germany, in my opinion. They might well beat England if they get that far, but that last 16 match looks perilous.

If they do win their group, their last 16 game is against the second-placed side in England's group: so, again, it could be England, Denmark, or Serbia. Win that, and the quarter-final is most likely against the winner of the Spain, Croatia, and Italy group. Again, a nasty enough route.

And, let's face it, if they only get through in third then they'll hold no fears for anyone.

I can't see them making the final four unless Gareth and co are as bad as their heaviest critics suggest...
Germany is one of the 5 or 6 most talented teams and is playing entirely home games. They're a serious threat to win the tournament even if you'd favor the overall talent of France, England and Spain over them.

Germany is one of the 5 or 6 most talented teams and is playing entirely home games. They're a serious threat to win the tournament even if you'd favor the overall talent of France, England and Spain over them.
They should be a serious threat, but they're not really. Being only among the top five or six is below par for Germany, historically. It also means they are, by defintion, a quarter-final side with prospects.

Living here in Berlin and following them closely, I wouldn't expect too much from this generation of German players. They're very ordinary by their own standards.

They should be a serious threat, but they're not really. Being only among the top five or six is below par for Germany, historically. It also means they are, by defintion, a quarter-final side with prospects.

Living here in Berlin and following them closely, I wouldn't expect too much from this generation of German players. They're very ordinary by their own standards.
Might be better that way to some extent. They can focus on who fits the best and players like Wirtz and Musiala can win any match.

It's great us Scots can have a good drink and get on great with the locals. Grown-up behaviour.
I suppose we'll have the usual bald English men in shorts grabbing the headlines and throwing furniture about the streets.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back