Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

I would say we haven't had the 'right' type of manager for over 20 years. Sven lacked the bravery to drop big names. Capello lacked the communication skills. Hodgson couldn't handle managing a team with actual expectations. Now Southgate lacks any clue from a tactical POV.

Sam-Allardyce-edited1_2519771.jpg

100% record.

That was a very smart interview by Kyle Walker, by the way. He spoke very well.
He was blatantly lying as well.

I thought it was a poor interview, denying the reality that everyone watching could see.

Even if the tactics aren’t right, there is no excuse for players literally walking while in possession.

I think these are fair points.

I, however, would also add that you haven't had the "right" type of player either. You have never fielded a Pirlo, Xavi, Modric, or Kroos in central midfield. Even when you had similar players (Scholes, Hoddle, Wilkins, Brooking), that type of player was marginalised or mistrusted, considered almost un-English and treated with suspicion.

In that sense, I don't think it is simply a manager or player issue. It's a culture issue.
I mean that was always old stereotype for the English (looking from outside), crossing, crossing, crossing and physical game, never a technique or passing game. Same way Italians stereotyped for discipline and catenaccio, Germans for high tempo and mentality or Brazil for joga bonita.

Suddenly ? He won Bundesliga player of the season playing the 8 role. He only started playing as a 10 when he went to Madrid and Ancelotti made him play there at the start of the season due to injuries. He smashed it and ended up playing there the entire season.
...erm, for England.

England's fans and media react far too much to turgid group games. Always have.
You've got a point there, what with how many times they've looked crap at tournaments in group stages and gone on to win the whole thing.

Wait a minute, no, they haven't won anything for 60 years despite being labelled as one of the best teams in the world consistently.

The whole team set-up is a mess.

Trippier at left-back, albeit not played particularly badly, just offers nothing high up the pitch when Foden, predictably, comes narrow. TAA needs bombing out of the midfield obviously. Kane needs to remain higher up the pitch and central. Occupy the centre-halves and, maybe, take them for a walk deep occasionally. But there has to be runners going beyond him.
England manager messing up the entire team to accommodate average Liverpool player.

Shocking I tell you.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back