Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

I think he had a point there to be fair. You can't pontificate about other countries' racism when your own country has similar issues. He's no doubt aware of a lot of the racist abuse BAME players in the England squad receive.

I just meant that he's usually quite calm in interviews and unflustered even when something has gone badly but that didn't seem the case yesterday.

Well we clearly do not have similar issues :lol: we’re talking about actual overt face to face racist abuse and threats in a football stadium and not a couple of tweets from an anonymous bot account here. I think we can definitely “pontificate” about that.

To be fair to the England fans - and even the hooligan minority that tars the rest - I don't recall an entire block of them putting on actual black shirts and chanting fascist slogans at major tournaments. Yes, England have their headbangers and idiots (I particularly enjoyed the clots who turned up as Bomber Command in Bloemfontein for the hammering by *checks notes* Germany). But the Hungarians aren't even ashamed of their "minority". At least things have not gone that far in England.

To be fair to the England fans - and even the hooligan minority that tars the rest - I don't recall an entire block of them putting on actual black shirts and chanting fascist slogans at major tournaments. Yes, England have their headbangers and idiots (I particularly enjoyed the clots who turned up as Bomber Command in Bloemfontein for the hammering by *checks notes* Germany). But the Hungarians aren't even ashamed of their "minority". At least things have not gone that far in England.

Precisely Drics.

Well we clearly do not have similar issues :lol: we’re talking about actual overt face to face racist abuse and threats in a football stadium and not a couple of tweets from an anonymous bot account here. I think we can definitely “pontificate” about that.
It was a long time ago. It looks like his "own house in order" comments were about Russia not Hungary. All seems pretty fair enough to me.

This is what he said about Russia in the run up to the world cup there:

Racism is high among the concerns given the number of issues that have reared their head in Russian football over the years, but Southgate made the point that a light needs shining on issues at home as well as abroad.

"I don't think we should just talk about racism in Russia - we have got to get our own house in order," the England boss said.

"There is still things going on in our own country that aren't correct around racism. So, we keep pointing the finger at Russia, where we're going to be guests in the next few months, but we haven't resolved the issue in our own country."

This is what he said about racism amongst Hungary fans:

Our players can’t do anything more than they have done in the past two or three years in trying to get the right messages out, take the right stands, and it’s for other people to protect them. It’s for me to protect them in the main, but for the authorities to protect them as well.

“They shouldn’t have to be subjected to any form of racism. There’s a balance in the crowd. As we know at home not everybody causes problems. Tonight our anthem was really respected remarkably well.

“It’s not fair to criticise all the Hungarian fans. A lot were very generous and behaved extremely well. The individuals that are responsible need to be dealt with. I think there’s some evidence that people have been filmed and we’ve got to hope the authorities deal with that in the right way.”

England were booed by a section of their own supporters for taking the knee before friendlies against Romania and Austria at the Riverside Stadium in June. Southgate was asked whether last night’s abuse shows why his side have continued to perform the anti-racism gesture.

“They recognise the world is changing,” he said. “Although some people are stuck in their way of thinking and prejudices, they are going to be the dinosaurs in the end. The world is modernising. Hungary isn’t anywhere near as diverse as our population. It’s taken us a long time to get to where we need to get to. We’ll continue to try to set the right example for young people in our country.”

It was a long time ago. It looks like his "own house in order" comments were about Russia not Hungary. All seems pretty fair enough to me.

This is what he said about Russia in the run up to the world cup there:

This is what he said about racism amongst Hungary fans:

I don’t think what he’s suggesting there is fair at all. That we have a similar racist culture to Russia. I’ve been watching football long enough to know that it clearly is not the case. I have never attended a football match in this country and witnessed racist abuse from a substantial crowd of supporters in my whole life. I’d be interested to know if anyone has since the mid 80s.

I don’t think what he’s suggesting there is fair at all. That we have a similar racist culture to Russia. I’ve been watching football long enough to know that it clearly is not the case. I have never attended a football match in this country and witnessed racist abuse from a substantial crowd of supporters in my whole life. I’d be interested to know if anyone has since the mid 80s.
I don't think he says this personally.

I don't think he says this personally.

Well he’s done a great job of making it sound like it, he was the one that brought our name into the conversation. The question was specifically about racism amongst Russian supporters and had nothing to do with us until he brought us into it. So he has made the comparison. He should’ve been reprimanded for that and it’s a disgrace that he wasn’t.

Might be a bit of a melodramatic take after 2 games but wondering if Southgate might have lost the dressing room a little bit after the announcement of the final squad for this tournament. Performances have pretty much dropped off a cliff since then.

Players were looking round and looking to the bench like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing. Kane's comments sort of alluded to it after the game as well. The players have to shoulder some of the blame as well as some of the basics and passing that was on display was terrible but the game plan and tactics are non existent. Everyone looks a little lost out there. To make some of these players look like championship players is some accomplishment. It reminded me of some of our worst showings under Lampard.

I mentioned it yesterday about Pickford taking a bit of criticism for going long against Serbia but you can see why after yesterday. The defence and midfield can't play their way out of a press at all.

GQlV3hHXAAAG7Hx

I heard someone threw a banana at John Barnes once

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back