Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Rice and even Mainoo, Palmer and dare I say it Gordon are players the team should be built around.

However, we keep trying to rely on the likes of Kane and Arnold in the team who just slow the game down massively and add next to nothing for England.

The reason we cannot is we do not see this and still try to fit certain players into a team dynamic which will never fit / work. Southgate is definitely not the person to do this, and then whoever comes in also has to make big decisions again.
Just the 64 goals in 90 odd caps not enough?

The first 9 words of your post is part of the problem, why are you a major footballing nation ? You’ve not won anything since 66, not having a pop at you personally but this whole attitude is endemic throughout English football, the fans, the players, the pundits and the press all have you as winners before a balls been kicked. The mentality needs to change.
I mean we are one of the bigger European nations. I by no means think we are some untouchable power just because we invented the game and have proven time and time again to be one of the top nations. Accolades are all well and good but they still have to perform.

In a roundabout way I agree with some of what you say, I do definitely think the media and fans put way too much expectation on the players but I am not having that they shouldn't be doing better than this.

I also think we have a world class forward line that Southgate can't get a tune out of.

How goods Luke Shaw & Kieran trippier been this season?

Rashford was excellent in the cup final. He turns up when he has too
Dreadful for Shaw, who's barely played, and Trippier was 50/50 at best. Both shouldn't have been called up.

Similar to how Rashford isn't, but there are some undroppables that Southgate has that have to play.

Just the 64 goals in 90 odd caps not enough?
6 goals in the last 3 tournaments (15 games so far). 2 goals in the group stages in those tournaments..... Smashing it....

Oh and one ballooned penalty which is still rising to this day!

He likely took more corners (yes, our only striker taking corners) in the Euros 21 than he has scored goals in these 3 tournaments.

Watkins should be given a chance.

I disagree mate. The system Southgate implements suits Sterling/Rashford/Grealish more than the likes of the newer boys.

Also all you would hear in the past few tournaments is about the moral and unity in the group, you cant underestimate characters and unity in these tournaments. Now I'm guessing here but you don't know what effect that has on other players Kane/Pickford/Stones/Trippier/Walker that these people they have been on this journey with have all of a sudden been binned off for some lad with a hybrid scouse/geordie accent and a guy who celebrates like he's freezing cold.

Maguire/Shaw/Trippier/Dunk/Stones/Guehi/Toney have all had poor seasons and been selected.
Maguire hasn't been selected. Shaw has been selected because we have no other right back. Guehi hasn't been poor, Stones hasn't been poor, Toney hasn't been poor. Dunk is useless, Trippier shouldn't have been selected. England have never functioned that well in the previous tournaments either. We've had easy groups and get beaten by the first decent team we played so that is a complete myth. Which of the attackers would you have dropped for Rashford, Grealish and Sterling?

Maguire hasn't been selected. Shaw has been selected because we have no other right back. Guehi hasn't been poor, Stones hasn't been poor, Toney hasn't been poor. Dunk is useless, Trippier shouldn't have been selected. England have never functioned that well in the previous tournaments either. We've had easy groups and get beaten by the first decent team we played so that is a complete myth. Which of the attackers would you have dropped for Rashford, Grealish and Sterling?
Bowen, Gordon, Toney

Why laughing friend? Did nothing v City over two legs and nothing in the UCL final. Scored 4 goals in the group games, none in the knockouts. After 17 league games he had 13 goals, he scored 6 in the next 21. The drop off in form is completely undisputed by anyone who watches the game rather than jumping on the hype train. Kane isn't the best striker in the world either.
I watch their games probably as much as you - you saw a midfielder playing half the season as a striker as they had no one else scoring 20 in 40 and went "nah, overhyped".

6 goals in the last 3 tournaments (15 games so far). 2 goals in the group stages in those tournaments..... Smashing it....

Oh and one ballooned penalty which is still rising to this day!

He likely took more corners (yes, our only striker taking corners) in the Euros 21 than he has scored goals in these 3 tournaments.

Watkins should be given a chance.
Almost as if it's some kind of game plan for him to take the corners, seeing as he doesn't really do it as much outside of England games.

Genuinely not gonna bother defending your own players for you - if you think Kane, Bellingham, Foden et al are hot garbage despite being fantastic players when not playing for England you're beyond saving lads.

Over 20 penalties and his presence limits how we play and makes us worse as a team. How many goals has he scored against the top teams?
Tbf to Kane...... 25% (16) of his goals have been hat-tricks against the mighty Panama (43), Albania (66), Montenegro (72), Bulgaria (82) and San Marino (210). Even 6 of these were pens.

For clarification numbers in brackets after the country is their FIFA world ranking.

Last edited: