• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Quite a good article this. Headline is a tad misleading, it's about both England and Austria but mostly England

Indeed. I particularly agree with:

These statements can’t all be true. A player of Foden’s capacities should be able to do more than one thing. Square pegs in round holes is a problem we keep hearing. But why are the pegs so square?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/27/england-slovakia-upset-euro-2024-last-16

Indeed. I particularly agree with:

These statements can’t all be true. A player of Foden’s capacities should be able to do more than one thing. Square pegs in round holes is a problem we keep hearing. But why are the pegs so square?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/27/england-slovakia-upset-euro-2024-last-16

Foden has been coached by Pep Guardiola all
his career and definitely can play various positions and roles. He’s played in midfield, on the right, on the left, number 10, and even as a false 9 for them.

Now that article could simply be saying in a roundabout way, that Southgate is a terrible coach, clueless tactically and has no idea how to spot patterns unfolding in front of him on the pitch. And I’d agree.

I do find the whole narrative around England quite strange though. Southgate isn't the best granted but im old enough to remember England at many tounaments and we've been crap at most of them. Euros 88. Crap. Italia 90. Played well in the semi final but were crap most of the tournament. Cameroon played us off the park. Sweden 92. Crap. Euro 96. Struggled in most games bar holland.
The list goes on.
There is a tendency to think England will roll many teams over. Bordering on arrogance.
I wouldnt even make England favourites against Switzerland.
I tend to see England as 6 or 7th choice to win at most of these tournaments.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back