• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group F: Turkey, Georgia, Portugal, Czech Republic

Think it's just the level of punditry/commentating that make it cringeworthy, for both the lads and the lasses.
The style changed over the years - and I'm not a fan of those changes. It's all shouting and banter now, full-on conversations. I'm old-school. Give me Brian Moore (who shouted a bit in his early years before becoming the consummate pro) and Barry Davies anyday. Motson was good, too, until he decided to "adapt" to the new world, get all shouty, and start preparing weird lines for morning matches about smashing the breakfast crockery. No wonder Davies called it a day.

The style changed over the years - and I'm not a fan of those changes. It's all shouting and banter now, full-on conversations. I'm old-school. Give me Brian Moore (who shouted a bit in his early years before becoming the consummate pro) and Barry Davies anyday. Motson was good, too, until he decided to "adapt" to the new world, get all shouty, and start preparing weird lines for morning matches about smashing the breakfast crockery. No wonder Davies called it a day.
Brian Moore's voice was boss which helped. Always enjoyed him calling games down a telephone line in the Eastern Bloc.

Archie MacPherson on Eurosport used to always make me laugh, he said about 5 words per half.

Fairly sure he called it a day because he's ancient mate.

Brian Moore's voice was boss which helped. Always enjoyed him calling games down a telephone line in the Eastern Bloc.

Archie MacPherson on Eurosport used to always make me laugh, he said about 5 words per half.
The old telephone line commentary is a much-lamented atmospheric loss. And I say this as somebody in Germany who can watch the BBC, ITV, RTE, or whatever channel on the planet with a VPN. Technology, eh?

I used to enjoy Archie in his Eurosport days. He restricted himself to lots of "Oooh, the goalkeeper!" shouts, which were always enjoyable. I also loved his apology one night when he started to choke during commentary, helpfully telling us a piece of cake had got stuck in his throat. The image of Archie with his tea and cake commentating on Auxerre versus Club Bruges always endeared him to me.

Fairly sure he called it a day because he's ancient mate.
He called it a day earlier than he would because he was constantly overlooked for the big gigs and because he did not like the stylistic changes that were demanded of him. It's in his autobiography. He is, also, ancient of course.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back