Guardiola / Martinez similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if people read the article. I'm not even saying Martinez is in Guardiola's league. I'm just saying he took the Barcelona plan and followed it to a tee, and that martinez was in it so deep, that any changes he made he felt would have undone all the work he did up to that point. Some more stuff from the article that I couldn't help but notice similarities between Guardiola/Martinez

- Presence of a pivot/Quarterback: tick
- Charging fullbacks: tick
- Ball playing centrebacks: tick
- Inverted wingers: tick

Ill give Moyes some credit here, I don't think he ever lost the players like Martinez has this season. Even though Moyes had rough patches, he seemed to always find a way to turn it around, mostly by reverting to grinding out results. Martinez's problem has always been that he's unwilling to adjust his philosophy, and the players don't have the mental toughness at the back. Recipe for disaster.

Also while I'm posting, im also surprised by the number of people telling Roberto to walk. If anybody deserves the ire of the supporters it should be Bill Kenwright for sticking with him so long and letting him be humiliated the way he has. Martinez is probably sitting on a million pound contract, and nobody is walking from that sort of money. Bill should have sacked him long ago.

Not sure if people read the article. I'm not even saying Martinez is in Guardiola's league. I'm just saying he took the Barcelona plan and followed it to a tee, and that martinez was in it so deep, that any changes he made he felt would have undone all the work he did up to that point. Some more stuff from the article that I couldn't help but notice similarities between Guardiola/Martinez

- Presence of a pivot/Quarterback: tick
- Charging fullbacks: tick
- Ball playing centrebacks: tick
- Inverted wingers: tick

Ill give Moyes some credit here, I don't think he ever lost the players like Martinez has this season. Even though Moyes had rough patches, he seemed to always find a way to turn it around, mostly by reverting to grinding out results. Martinez's problem has always been that he's unwilling to adjust his philosophy, and the players don't have the mental toughness at the back. Recipe for disaster.

Also while I'm posting, im also surprised by the number of people telling Roberto to walk. If anybody deserves the ire of the supporters it should be Bill Kenwright for sticking with him so long and letting him be humiliated the way he has. Martinez is probably sitting on a million pound contract, and nobody is walking from that sort of money. Bill should have sacked him long ago.

Martinez did copy the floorplan of Guardiola but in terms of execution, very different, hence the distinctive difference in success.

It is telling that Guardiola, while seemingly not have Plan B by the way the team still resolve to possess the football, move the ball slightly differently and attacking from different directions, and only a well drilled defense like Athletico can hold it the way it did.

Martinez just has 1 alternative to the possession game, hoof the ball towards Lukaku. When teams know the gameplan, they struggle to move the ball through the regular channels because they are not as mobile. Very different from Guardiola's team who are very mobile.

It make deceive to look the same, but the truth comes out against quality opponents, the feel, the dynamics, very different. One is vibrant even in defeat, the other is an easy road kill when figured out.

Others point out the pressing, and that's very true, another distinction of the differences.

You can't possess the ball well when the players are not moving to give teammates options, either in the pressing game or the offensive stretch. Martinez, despite his years in the EPL, never realized that.

I love how people class losing to Atletico as "failure", its football, all teams lose football matches ffs.

I love how people class losing to Atletico as "failure", its football, all teams lose football matches ffs.

I actually bet on Atletico to qualify and if Muller scores that pen for 2-0, i'm pretty sure Bayern win comfortably and are hot favourites in the final against Madrid.

Super fine margins decide these big games, Bayern totally controlled the game and on another day could of easily won by 3 goals.

By the standards people judge Guardiola, Fergie was a failure in Europe he only won the Champions League twice in 20 years apparently he was only good domestically.

These trophies are hard to win which is why no one has ever retained the Champions League in it's current format.

Status
Not open for further replies.