Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gylfi is a good player.

A striker should have been the priority. The club took too long in getting Gylfi.
I have no doubt both him and Klassen are good players.

I'm just saying that you can't look at someone's assist stat and just expect him to do the same here. Same with goals.

I'm not going to use Barkley as a stick to beat him with because unlike most I accept he is gone and it is out of our hands but it looks like Sigurdsson was bought for the left and Baines isn't capable anymore to be left on his own. Something that happens too frequently when Sigurdsson goes inside which he often does.

Walsh really is lucky to still be in a job in my eyes. I am hoping there is a serious review of what he is doing, what the hell happened in that Italy Visit? just on his jollies? whopper - sorry will take that to the other thread!

I think there is still a player in Klaassen somewhere - Gylfi I am just struggling to see what he offers to this side and how he fits in.
Probably just trying to swap Deulofeu for Niang.

If so, another thing the royally screwed up, and something else that should be flagged in an investigation into his role in this mess....

Thats if the club was competent to do an investigation into what got a manager sacked and messing up signing players...

If so, another thing the royally screwed up, and something else that should be flagged in an investigation into his role in this mess....

Thats if the club was competent to do an investigation into what got a manager sacked and messing up signing players...
We should have aimed for a director of football from a European club in the CL. Napoli, Porto etc

Someone with decent contacts with top agents. After all this is how these deals work and hiring Walsh who doesn't have this was just a mistake by the person who hired him.

We should have aimed for a director of football from a European club in the CL. Napoli, Porto etc

Someone with decent contacts with top agents. After all this is how these deals work and hiring Walsh who doesn't have this was just a mistake by the person who hired him.

We tried to get Monchi from Sevilla.

Just like we tried to get Giroud from Arsenal this summer.

Just a point I like to make when people say 'we didn't try'.

We did, we just didn't get it done. Which in a sense is the main issue throughout the club and has been for years.

@chazzle_dazzle

The Italy trip was a meeting with several different clubs to open up sustained lines of communications regarding transfers in both the short and long term.

Individual players may have been mentioned, but I don't think it was ever to do with signing/selling said certain players.

@chazzle_dazzle

The Italy trip was a meeting with several different clubs to open up sustained lines of communications regarding transfers in both the short and long term.

Individual players may have been mentioned, but I don't think it was ever to do with signing/selling said certain players.

Aye, I mean while in general I agree with this, at the right time at the right part of the season - like April/May before the season finishes - at the time we where arsing around with Swansea and spending too much time dealing with them instead of refocusing our attentions. It was just the wrong thing to do unless he was coming back with a player - preferably another number ten as we need more lollol

If am honest I wasn't overly keen on Walsh coming in anyways, if he would have unearthed some gems like his rep suggested I would have dealt with that, but his current tactics of recruitment seem more then up for discussion.

We tried to get Monchi from Sevilla.

Just like we tried to get Giroud from Arsenal this summer.

Just a point I like to make when people say 'we didn't try'.

We did, we just didn't get it done. Which in a sense is the main issue throughout the club and has been for years.
I know we tried and Monchi would have been a very good choice but look at City.

They had to go and get the football director of Barca even when they were already a good bit into their journey before they had a chance getting Pep. Monchi was out of our range but that's the problem. We seem to have good "first choice" targets who are totally unrealistic but then our 2nd choice targets are awful. We are either a club desperately trying to find our place in the football pyramid or something isn't right.

Same with the managerial choices. There's no way Simeone and Dyche should be on the same list. It doesn't matter what list it is. Those two should not be on it together.

Same with players.

There's middle ground and for some reason we seem to be avoiding it like it's got a disease.

In fairness Bacca was rubbish for them for a while. There's a reason they let him go on loan.
I've always rated him, but it does look as though he slowed down a bit last season (13 in 31, after 18 in 38 the year before).

Still would have liked him here.

Aye, I mean while in general I agree with this, at the right time at the right part of the season - like April/May before the season finishes - at the time we where arsing around with Swansea and spending too much time dealing with them instead of refocusing our attentions. It was just the wrong thing to do unless he was coming back with a player - preferably another number ten as we need more lollol

If am honest I wasn't overly keen on Walsh coming in anyways, if he would have unearthed some gems like his rep suggested I would have dealt with that, but his current tactics of recruitment seem more then up for discussion.
I doubt Sigurdsson made any difference to our other signings - it's not like they can't do anything regarding a striker and CBs while they are waiting.

Waiting on Giroud possibly but even then we knew by the middle of August.

I doubt Sigurdsson made any difference to our other signings - it's not like they can't do anything regarding a striker and CBs while they are waiting.

Waiting on Giroud possibly but even then we knew by the middle of August.

We spent far too long messing around with Swansea over Gylfi... the moment they started messing he should have been shelved and put efforts into other players... you say that its not like we couldn't do anything while waiting, but do you really give the board and Ste Walsh that much credit... its taken 3 weeks (and counting) to hire a new manager, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest everything was Gylfi and "everything will come after that".

Id be surprised if they could read the paper while taking a dump at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back