Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's done it in both for club and country.

And the idea that he's not working hard enough is absurd. He runs his arse off all game.

Again, play him with some active players that move. He'll be fine. And as BAD as he was yesterday, he still created more in the few touches he had than just about anyone on the pitch. He needs to play, but with the right players.
From open play, no he hasn't, as @Timak has constantly proven, he is bang average from open play

Honestly, when did he EVER have anyone in front of him the whole night? Davies, Rooney, Niasse in front of him. Davies isn't a winger. Rooney...I mean, I do still think Wayne has something to offer, but not at the expense of wide players that can run into space. Love Oumar, but come on.

Gylfi giving up the ball a couple times last night - he was likely fouled, but still - was not good. But otherwise, his touches were pretty darn good. To create the corner than Baines scored on, the one touch pass to give DCL the cross on the left was lovely. The pass to Lookman for him to spring Oumar was also impressive. There wasn't much of a window and he threaded the needle. There is quality there.

The Vlasic chip for the goal is exactly why we bought him, though. I love the idea of Ross on his side to the right, holding the ball, allowing Gylfi to get into space where he can spring players. That also requires a dangerous CF.

He will do better when played in the right position and with a striker in place - hopefully we'll get one or two in the Jan window
This ties into my thinking a bit. He has been back to his best on set pieces as of late. We need to be much more clinical than we have been, and a natural striker will make all the difference on that. Having said that, Oumar really impressed me yesterday.

Honestly, when did he EVER have anyone in front of him the whole night? Davies, Rooney, Niasse in front of him. Davies isn't a winger. Rooney...I mean, I do still think Wayne has something to offer, but not at the expense of wide players that can run into space. Love Oumar, but come on.

Gylfi giving up the ball a couple times last night - he was likely fouled, but still - was not good. But otherwise, his touches were pretty darn good. To create the corner than Baines scored on, the one touch pass to give DCL the cross on the left was lovely. The pass to Lookman for him to spring Oumar was also impressive. There wasn't much of a window and he threaded the needle. There is quality there.

The Vlasic chip for the goal is exactly why we bought him, though. I love the idea of Ross on his side to the right, holding the ball, allowing Gylfi to get into space where he can spring players. That also requires a dangerous CF.

Good post, see you are watching the game, others are just looking at things like the fee and where he came from but Gylfi is a real good player, we do have some good players, just dont have set up team right now, once we do players of quality will justify the fees

Totally agree with this. A link man but will come into his own when we have movement and someone who can set up a team and stick to it

Some players can take games by the scruff of the next and do it all themselves like Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Hazard but some players need something to work with. Right now he has no target up front and it's no coincidence that his best spell came with an in form target man playing for Swansea (Llorente).

From open play, no he hasn't, as @Timak has constantly proven, he is bang average from open play
He looked at one year. And he still assisted or scored almost 50% of Swansea's goals. The funniest part about it was the teams he scored against from open play in that one year. Arsenal, Man City twice, Liverpool.

Think it's worth noting that his goal rate was about the same with Tottenham when he didn't take Penalties or free kicks.

That being said, not sure why we'd bag on his abilities from free kick situations. What's embarrassing is how bad we are at converting them. They were spot on yesterday.

Beyond that, it COULD BE that he's just starting slow and adjusting. That's not crazy. He also might be a better second half player. Some stats for thought:

2016/7 - 4 of his 9 were after Xmas.
2015/6 - 9 of 11 after Xmas.
2014/5 - 5 of 7 after Xmas.

Not sure that means anything, but it's kind of interesting.

Either way, there's a pretty good track record here and think we really need to keep running him out there. But I sure would like to see him in more advanced positions behind a decent striker.

He looked at one year. And he still assisted or scored almost 50% of Swansea's goals. The funniest part about it was the teams he scored against from open play in that one year. Arsenal, Man City twice, Liverpool.

I looked at his whole career.

He isn't playing badly for us. He is playing exactly as he always has.

High shot/cross volume from very low touches of the ball.

Sometimes it comes off (like last season) and 3 years ago. Other times it doesn't like the season before last.

It is those who think (1) he is a creative playmaker (2) this is bad form and he will click once jupiter aligns with mars and he gets to play in the 30cm2 area of the pitch that is his "position", who will be disappointed.

We can certainly help him by surrounding him with passers and runners but that again begs the question as to why we signed him given we don't have them.

I think Barkley and Sig are too similar. Better have one with wingers on each side.. I do hope he stays on though ( I thought Sig, klassen, and Rooney would all be better than him but was wrong so far...)

Sometimes it comes off (like last season) and 3 years ago. Other times it doesn't like the season before last.

It is those who think (1) he is a creative playmaker (2) this is bad form and he will click once jupiter aligns with mars and he gets to play in the 30cm2 area of the pitch that is his "position", who will be disappointed.

We can certainly help him by surrounding him with passers and runners but that again begs the question as to why we signed him given we don't have them.
BOOOM! RESPOND @CRIMHEAD

Beyond that, it COULD BE that he's just starting slow and adjusting. That's not crazy. He also might be a better second half player. Some stats for thought:

2016/7 - 4 of his 9 were after Xmas.
2015/6 - 9 of 11 after Xmas.
2014/5 - 5 of 7 after Xmas.

Not sure that means anything, but it's kind of interesting.

Either way, there's a pretty good track record here and think we really need to keep running him out there. But I sure would like to see him in more advanced positions behind a decent striker.

Interesting, there are players who do that, some switch off after Christmas or after coming back from the AFCON, rare the get a player who is top of his form from the start to the end of the season

It's about being active in the game too.

It's been mentioned he averages 23 touches a game and has done for seasons. Barkley averages 43. Rooney averages more also.

He'll never run a game or dictate one. He can change a game with a setpiece or a long range shot, which is fine. But as a main creative threat, he's very average.

He's not there to be fast, he's there to make things happen. As I said at Swansea he was central and surrounded by pace, he kept them up for at least two seasons. Rooney's legs are going he should be a sub option off the bench.
You can defend him all you want pal - he hasnt shown anywhere near enough despite being played out of position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back