Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vlasic against Limassol, when it was literally the only option on, that's it in about 12 games. You don't pay £45m for that, I'm sorry.

But that's my point! Lookman had been on 5 minutes and took a risk with a through ball, and it paid off. Outside of a mental 60 yard volley, Sigurdsson hasn't taken a risk since he turned up, it's just the safe ball every single time.

It was a clever little flick and a good move.

We paid £40m, and no, it's not good enough. Gylfi needs to take more risks - but there's reasons why he hasn't as well.

Lack of confidence with all of them can't be overstated. Hopefully yesterday's result has injected a lot of that into the entire squad.

He's looking like a bit of an indulgence now. You can't fault him for effort. He certainly sweats more than Schneiderlin or Klaassen ever do.

But I'm sure he was expecting to be curling crosses onto some top striker's napper - not diving around the midfield or playing striker himself as last week!

I liked his heavy challenge in the first half. A lot of Icelandic angst went into that one.

Where did he have his best games for us last year C?

Wide right, freedom to cut in and join the attack or similarly dropping back into midfield, playing with Coleman behind him - well, Coleman pretty much acting as the right winger.

Ross is a dire 10. Gets caught out too much.

On the left if anything last season P. He had a weird free role where he drifted between supporting Baines and playing behind Rom.

I'd have Vlasic on the wing in that side with Barkley as the pivot between the 2 sitting. Not a 10 per say where's he directly behind the striker, but in between the lines in a free role - an 8.

Sigurdsson needs to get his head out of his arse and get on with it. Absolutely zero effort at times yesterday, moping round again.

It was quite frankly disgusting to watch.

It was a clever little flick and a good move.

We paid £40m, and no, it's not good enough. Gylfi needs to take more risks - but there's reasons why he hasn't as well.

Lack of confidence with all of them can't be overstated. Hopefully yesterday's result has injected a lot of that into the entire squad.

Mate, he did nothing at Swansea. Never controlled the games, never got right into the thick of it and be leader. He's living off stats and MOTD highlight reels, no different to Charlie Adam.

He's weak and will never be a playmaker

He's playing out of position in a shapeless team. I can't really form an opinion of him yet, though if a gun was held against my head I would say he was crap.

I've said it before Prev, if a player is played out of position then you obviously won't see the best of him, but if that player is supposedly quality, then no matter where he plays he still should put in a performance of some sort, have an effect on the game from that position, put in a shift, you just don't get any of this from Sigurdsson though.

On the left if anything last season P. He had a weird free role where he drifted between supporting Baines and playing behind Rom.

I'd have Vlasic on the wing in that side with Barkley as the pivot between the 2 sitting. Not a 10 per say where's he directly behind the striker, but in between the lines in a free role - an 8.

Sigurdsson needs to get his head out of his arse and get on with it. Absolutely zero effort at times yesterday, moping round again.

It was quite frankly disgusting to watch.

Can't really remember him playing left at all mate - at least not during that resurgence in form prior to Coleman's injury?

It was usually Kev left or we'd play a 3-4-3, with Valencia or Lookman in that other role?

As ya say, it was a weird free role. It does require a full-back bombing on though. I wouldn't dream of having Ross wide unless Coleman or Kenny were playing. They have to give the width and Ross then gets that freedom to play as pretty much an inside forward.

By saying he's dire as a 10, I don't mean technically speaking. I agree Vlasic in that wide right role could work with Ross central, but when Ross does play central, it's fair to say he gets man marked and then starts to look sloppy.

I genuinely think one of the best things Koeman did was finding that role for Ross, even if to an extent it's reliant on another player to back him up down that side so he can do the sexy stuff.

Gylfi as the pivot - or more like the second striker who has the energy to drop back into midfield - I think that'd work, purely as it'd hopefully make more space for Ross who has a bit (well, a lot) more mobility to get around than say, Rooney, whose lack of mobility leads to the central areas getting crowded.

I didn't see a lack of effort. I saw a player desperately in need of form but he never stopped running. Never stopped tracking his man. Same can't be said for Rooney who, though he did work, simply gave the ball away whenever he had it - and not even by trying risky passes, but just stupid safe passes.

Gylfi should have scored yesterday. A player with a bit of confidence tucks that away easily.

Mate, he did nothing at Swansea. Never controlled the games, never got right into the thick of it and be leader. He's living off stats and MOTD highlight reels, no different to Charlie Adam.

He's weak and will never be a playmaker

I'm not claiming he should be a playmaker.

A playmaker doesn't have to play centrally.

I'm just saying, Gylfi is better in a central role than he is out wide.

Can't really remember him playing left at all mate - at least not during that resurgence in form prior to Coleman's injury?

It was usually Kev left or we'd play a 3-4-3, with Valencia or Lookman in that other role?

As ya say, it was a weird free role. It does require a full-back bombing on though. I wouldn't dream of having Ross wide unless Coleman or Kenny were playing. They have to give the width and Ross then gets that freedom to play as pretty much an inside forward.

By saying he's dire as a 10, I don't mean technically speaking. I agree Vlasic in that wide right role could work with Ross central, but when Ross does play central, it's fair to say he gets man marked and then starts to look sloppy.

I genuinely think one of the best things Koeman did was finding that role for Ross, even if to an extent it's reliant on another player to back him up down that side so he can do the sexy stuff.

Gylfi as the pivot - or more like the second striker who has the energy to drop back into midfield - I think that'd work, purely as it'd hopefully make more space for Ross who has a bit (well, a lot) more mobility to get around than say, Rooney, whose lack of mobility leads to the central areas getting crowded.

I didn't see a lack of effort. I saw a player desperately in need of form but he never stopped running. Never stopped tracking his man. Same can't be said for Rooney who, though he did work, simply gave the ball away whenever he had it - and not even by trying risky passes, but just stupid safe passes.

Gylfi should have scored yesterday. A player with a bit of confidence tucks that away easily.

There was a spell last season where he played some of his best football and he was playing on the left. Not an out and out winger but from counters and when he had space, Barkley would be on the left to knock on to Baines before drifting back into the middle.

It was deffo a free role, I remember tonnes writing about it at the time and then coming on here and saying he just needs a free role in the team and thanks to Koeman for finally giving him one.

I watched it from the halfway line yesterday P and whilst he did run around - a lot at times, mainly aimlessly mind - there were plenty of times where we lost the ball and he wasn't in any hurry to track back. There were a few times where our attack died just inside the Watford half and he just huffed, stopped running and walked backwards.

I just think he needs a spell on the bench because he's playing well at all and he hasn't done since he's signed.

He is not and has never been a link man, he's a dead ball guy that's about it. We needed someone to do it in open play
He's done it in both for club and country.

And the idea that he's not working hard enough is absurd. He runs his arse off all game.

Again, play him with some active players that move. He'll be fine. And as BAD as he was yesterday, he still created more in the few touches he had than just about anyone on the pitch. He needs to play, but with the right players.

I honestly think more than anyone in the team at the moment, he's the one most likely to flip a switch once a couple good things happen. Like if he had scored yesterday on that chance. Or buries a free kick top corner. More than anyone, he's pressing b/c he wants to prove he can "produce" at a bigger club, and he's getting down on himself, and doubt is creeping in.

Gylfi has been at his best when he has had a flick-on by/in the box... which is the only thing he has done well in open play. I will say that his set pieces have been fantastic in his last three outings with Gylfi, which is a very good sign. We must have had 7-8 very dangerous set pieces in that span, which tells you we need to be much more clinical as a team. ATM, I wouldn't want him or Rooney near the team as they have been very poor during our 'crisis' spell. The next game in Europe is the perfect time to experiment with Vlasic in the middle as we have nothing to play for. He needs to be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back