Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loads if skillful creative player should are slow and it's not a problem, look at David Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi etc. the problem is that Sigurdsson is not getting into the game at all. Whether it's because of bad tactics or bad performances remains to be seen tbh because it's not crazy to think Koeman and Unsworth have put him out there out of position and with tactics he's unsuited to. If we hadn't signed Rooney and made him 'the main man' I think Sigurdsson would've been a great signing.

Good point that mate, all game Niasse was running the line, running into space, making forward runs, and I'm struggling to remember if Sigurdsson actually played any decent through balls.

I really think it's a case of two many chefs spoiling the broth.

One of Rooney or Gylfi. I'd punt with Gylfi, as I think his quality from set pieces gives us a different dimension and he is a neat and tidy player who also gets up and down quicker than Rooney does.

Personally, for me he's either a left-sided central mid in a three-man midfield, or a no.10 - in both cases the players ahead of him need to be players who make runs in behind.

I think we'd see the best out of him then.

I'm not arguing he hasn't been poor so far. I just thought he was better last night.

Niasse never stops running, DCL also makes plenty of runs forward. Lookman came on and put a ball through for Niasse within minutes that he ended up scoring from. There's no excuse for Sigurdsson's lack of attempts to create anything from open play.

But in those situations yesterday Sigurdsson was stuck out wide left.

When he did get more into the game he played central and had that chance he should have scored.

Loads if skillful creative player should are slow and it's not a problem, look at David Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi etc. the problem is that Sigurdsson is not getting into the game at all. Whether it's because of bad tactics or bad performances remains to be seen tbh because it's not crazy to think Koeman and Unsworth have put him out there out of position and with tactics he's unsuited to. If we hadn't signed Rooney and made him 'the main man' I think Sigurdsson would've been a great signing.
Sigurdson isn't that type of player though, as @FTY perfectly put it yesterday, he's basically seb Larson with slightly better stats

But in those situations yesterday Sigurdsson was stuck out wide left.

When he did get more into the game he played central and had that chance he should have scored.

He popped up in central positions plenty of times yesterday, and he has done in lots of games this season, and still we wait for him to even try to slide a pass through to a striker rather than take the safe option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back