Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am no Guardiola but am seeing a lot of people saying now that Bolasie is back that the 3 behind the striker should be Sig-Rooney-Bolasie and not sure I totally agree.

I don't like Siggy wide left when Bolasie's on the pitch, I mean he'll certainly do a job and is probably our best left winger, it causes a huge lack of balance and tbh I think you need more from your record signing than for him to just do a job

When Bolasie's on the right, his game is to hug the touch line, skin his full back and run them ragged with pace, power and explosiveness, it doesn't always work but that's the idea. When Siggy's wide left, his job is to cover his full back when they've got the ball, (which he's excellent at btw), and when we've got the ball look to step inside and operate in that no man's in between the right back, the right centre back and the right centre mid, also known as Steven Pienaar-ville and create or pop a shot off

El problemo: Because of the sort of player Bolasie is, the left back is drawn across to him. The left centre back then steps across to cover the left back, the right centre back across to cover him etc. Where does this leave the right back??

All up in Sigurdsson's face in the space that should be between the full back and centre back. I do like him, but he's defo not the sort of player that does well when he's being marked, he's not quick and he can't really beat a man if the old "step in onto my right foot twice" doesn't work. He can't whip his crosses in, can't pop his shots off and doesn't have time to pick a pass out

Solution: sign a left back. One with pace and energy that can run wide and have at least one of their players on the back foot to give Siggy that space back

Either that or a time machine for Leighton Baines.

Feel free to tag Steve Walsh in this lads

Am no Guardiola but am seeing a lot of people saying now that Bolasie is back that the 3 behind the striker should be Sig-Rooney-Bolasie and not sure I totally agree.

I don't like Siggy wide left when Bolasie's on the pitch, I mean he'll certainly do a job and is probably our best left winger, it causes a huge lack of balance and tbh I think you need more from your record signing than for him to just do a job

When Bolasie's on the right, his game is to hug the touch line, skin his full back and run them ragged with pace, power and explosiveness, it doesn't always work but that's the idea. When Siggy's wide left, his job is to cover his full back when they've got the ball, (which he's excellent at btw), and when we've got the ball look to step inside and operate in that no man's in between the right back, the right centre back and the right centre mid, also known as Steven Pienaar-ville and create or pop a shot off

El problemo: Because of the sort of player Bolasie is, the left back is drawn across to him. The left centre back then steps across to cover the left back, the right centre back across to cover him etc. Where does this leave the right back??

All up in Sigurdsson's face in the space that should be between the full back and centre back. I do like him, but he's defo not the sort of player that does well when he's being marked, he's not quick and he can't really beat a man if the old "step in onto my right foot twice" doesn't work. He can't whip his crosses in, can't pop his shots off and doesn't have time to pick a pass out

Solution: sign a left back. One with pace and energy that can run wide and have at least one of their players on the back foot to give Siggy that space back

Very sensible views - Cuco is messing up Gylfi, not helped by no striker outlet either. Also Everton penchant for hoofing it out of defense up the right side too. We haven’t seen anything like the best of Gylfi yet I hope.

Very sensible views - Cuco is messing up Gylfi, not helped by no striker outlet either. Also Everton penchant for hoofing it out of defense up the right side too. We haven’t seen anything like the best of Gylfi yet I hope.
It's spot on. Constantly covering for Martina. Having another midfielder with athleticism in the middle would help provide cover, but Morgan is too slow and can't stop a counter effectively. Either way, Gylfi needs to be farther up the pitch.

Bolasie and Sigurdsson playing from the wings makes sense although Bolasie still looks a long way off.

However we need better control of possession so we can get the ball to Sigurdsson in more dangerous positions to utilise his delivery.

If we get a leftback in the team, Im sure Gylfi would be better if he didnt need to watch his back all the time, and could focus more on attacking. I think he should be played behind the striker, with Rooney in the midfield. In other words, we need another winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back