Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sigurdsson will be fine, he'll score a few and assist a few. He's a good player in his own right and I'm not sure his own performances will really be affected too much by our striking situation to be honest, but it just seems like a total waste of money paying £45m for anyone when you've got such gaping holes in the rest of your squad. He's the sort of player you sign when you've got your house generally in order and want to get marginal improvements in certain areas, not the sort of player you sign as a priority.
I'm not sure on the logic here mate.
So hypothetically say you've got 75m for Giroud and Sig'. You go into negotiations for both.
You get Sig all sown up but because Giroud doesn't want to come, you turn down Sig too?

I'm not sure on the logic here mate.
So hypothetically say you've got 75m for Giroud and Sig'. You go into negotiations for both.
You get Sig all sown up but because Giroud doesn't want to come, you turn down Sig too?
Well that's not quite what I mean.

To me, the role Sigurdsson plays is not one which desperately needed improving. It seems an odd use of resources to break (smash, if you prefer) your transfer record for a player who doesn't solve any of your most pressing issues. I think most people would be surprised if we finish higher than 7th this year, so what exactly was the point in signing a £45m player? It seems an unnecessary extravagance to me.

If we had kept Lukaku, convinced Barkley to stay, and either had a fit Funes Mori or had upgraded in his role, I would have thought Sigurdsson was a sensible signing. He'd have offered us something slightly different, and would hopefully have helped us score more goals. As it is, I'm looking at the squad thinking we're badly lacking a striker, a ball carrier, and pace/options at the back, but have paid £45m for somebody who fulfils a similar role to some players we already had.

As I said, I think he's a good player and will do just fine. It's just that with the squad make up as it is at the moment, I don't see how he really makes us a substantially better side.

"He's a world class set piece taker"

*Davies, Rooney, Baines take all the set pieces last week*

btw, not disputing him being ace at those at all, just found it so baffling we spent £45m on a "world class set piece taker" then had others take them.
He contracted firstmanitis against Chelsea.

Well that's not quite what I mean.

To me, the role Sigurdsson plays is not one which desperately needed improving. It seems an odd use of resources to break (smash, if you prefer) your transfer record for a player who doesn't solve any of your most pressing issues. I think most people would be surprised if we finish higher than 7th this year, so what exactly was the point in signing a £45m player? It seems an unnecessary extravagance to me.

If we had kept Lukaku, convinced Barkley to stay, and either had a fit Funes Mori or had upgraded in his role, I would have thought Sigurdsson was a sensible signing. He'd have offered us something slightly different, and would hopefully have helped us score more goals. As it is, I'm looking at the squad thinking we're badly lacking a striker, a ball carrier, and pace/options at the back, but have paid £45m for somebody who fulfils a similar role to some players we already had.

As I said, I think he's a good player and will do just fine. It's just that with the squad make up as it is at the moment, I don't see how he really makes us a substantially better side.

I see what you mean with this. you buy a no.10 (Klassen), then you have Rooney (probably a no.10, because you were still planning to buy a striker) then you also have Vlasic, Sandro and maybe Barkley on the cards, so what are we really doing? I think the real problem is that Klassen, Rooney, Sigurdsson were all 'main men' in their team, and it's hard to build the team around them, unless we have distinctive Europa League / Cup vs Premier League teams

IMG_7400.webp

GYLFI SIGURDSSON IS NOT A WINGER

IMG_7399.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back