Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not getting involved enough at all. Still finding his feet but I feel for him a little bit. No real striker to aim at, being played out on the wing and having to fit in with a bunch of other players trying to figure it out up front.

He was central far more than he was on the left.

Because he comes central, meaning we have no wide left sided player...

By coming centrally he crowds the other players and we cant spread the play.

He should be central and a different left midfielder (lookman) playing

When you play 3 at the back the wing backs are supposed to provide the width! He wasn't supposed to be wide left.

I'm happy for you to rename this the "Timak was right" thread any time you like.

He is playing exactly as he always has. This isn't bad form, this is how he plays.

He played central today and against Atlanta and has been shown up the twice, like he always will be when he plays there.

Worst thing about him though, he'll show himself up more if you try him top left in a front 3.

I've been following this board since he joined you and it's given me a few chuckles, I have to say. It's uncanny the things I've read here that I have moaned about him for at least the last season.

He's slow, painfully slow, he can't go past a man - I mean, like NEVER. His first touch is poor, this may seem against the grain because of all the lazy Match of the Day pundits who could never be bothered to analyse one of our games properly and who used to pick him out almost every time. He's got an awkward balance about him when the ball comes in. A bit like Bambi fresh out of the womb. He's poor in the tackle, he doesn't command games, has limited affect and an awful amount of touches, his key passes last season were in the bottom 25% of midfielders and he's a proper girl when things aren't going his way - arms flailing around the lot.

We shoehorned (a word I've read on this site a lot about him) out left, purely because we couldn't do without his long free kicks - his corners were always pretty [Poor language removed] or at best below average, but he could whip a ball in. The funny thing though, his assists from free kicks were also very average when he had Ashley Williams to aim for - 50 pence piece head had scored 1 in 5 years for us I think. Yeah, Mawson and Llorente made his free kicks look better and he got a lot of assists from them.

In open play though, a different story - 3 he had and I remember each one because his creation in this aspect of the game is dreadful.

For anyone thinking he needs to be central or your number 10, think again. Ross Barkley has ten times the zip and skill needed to be effective in opening up defences. Play a ball into Siggy back to goal 10 yards out off the 18 yard line and he wouldn't have the first idea what to do with it. You'd want a 10 to have nippy, quick feet and create just that bit of spark - you will only see that from Siggy when he's got the ball on a free kick, nicely rested just above the finely cut grass and nobody near him for 10 yards. Then he can look great.

Oh, and I am not a bitter Jack who's lost his "best" (sic) player - i've been saying this for ages, even to your fans when they've popped across to Planet Swans. Few good Siggy threads there - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/

He played central today and against Atlanta and has been shown up the twice, like he always will be when he plays there.

Worst thing about him though, he'll show himself up more if you try him top left in a front 3.

I've been following this board since he joined you and it's given me a few chuckles, I have to say. It's uncanny the things I've read here that I have moaned about him for at least the last season.

He's slow, painfully slow, he can't go past a man - I mean, like NEVER. His first touch is poor, this may seem against the grain because of all the lazy Match of the Day pundits who could never be bothered to analyse one of our games properly and who used to pick him out almost every time. He's got an awkward balance about him when the ball comes in. A bit like Bambi fresh out of the womb. He's poor in the tackle, he doesn't command games, has limited affect and an awful amount of touches, his key passes last season were in the bottom 25% of midfielders and he's a proper girl when things aren't going his way - arms flailing around the lot.

We shoehorned (a word I've read on this site a lot about him) out left, purely because we couldn't do without his long free kicks - his corners were always pretty [Poor language removed] or at best below average, but he could whip a ball in. The funny thing though, his assists from free kicks were also very average when he had Ashley Williams to aim for - 50 pence piece head had scored 1 in 5 years for us I think. Yeah, Mawson and Llorente made his free kicks look better and he got a lot of assists from them.

In open play though, a different story - 3 he had and I remember each one because his creation in this aspect of the game is dreadful.

For anyone thinking he needs to be central or your number 10, think again. Ross Barkley has ten times the zip and skill needed to be effective in opening up defences. Play a ball into Siggy back to goal 10 yards out off the 18 yard line and he wouldn't have the first idea what to do with it. You'd want a 10 to have nippy, quick feet and create just that bit of spark - you will only see that from Siggy when he's got the ball on a free kick, nicely rested just above the finely cut grass and nobody near him for 10 yards. Then he can look great.

Oh, and I am not a bitter Jack who's lost his "best" (sic) player - i've been saying this for ages, even to your fans when they've popped across to Planet Swans. Few good Siggy threads there - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/

I'd play him central midfield like he plays for Iceland. Two players of either Schneiderlin, Gana or Davies next to him and he would have protection...at the moment, I don't know what he does.

Why not go over to the Williams thread and unload on him...he's the worst centre back as a first choice ive seen since perhaps 20 years....

I'd play him central midfield like he plays for Iceland. Two players of either Schneiderlin, Gana or Davies next to him and he would have protection...at the moment, I don't know what he does.

Why not go over to the Williams thread and unload on him...he's the worst centre back as a first choice ive seen since perhaps 20 years....

I did last season as I was begging for him to go as well. He's a bar brawler and great in a dogfight but it looks like his time is coming to an end. Siggy to Williams will never be an assist you'll see I'm afraid.

Siggy is too slow for you. You need some zip in the middle, some quick feet and thinking. He's technically sound, for all his faults, being fair to him, but for a team wanting to push that bit further up the table towards the top, he's not your answer. I said in January he'd suit a Stoke or a West From. I think he could get near 20 assists in a Pullis side!! ;-)

Let’s try and let him play in his natural position and stick Rooney out wide before we criticise him.

Rooney's been our best player so everyone has to work around him.

Until a player actually influences a game, then we can talk about playing in a "natural position"

And dont forget, Siggurdson know's how to play attacking wide. He just doesn't impress on a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back