Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked pretty good when he was playing under Pochettino.

When i say "pretty good" I mean top class.

Depends if you like that kind of player really.

I do.
Well I agree with a fair few of your player assessments but definitely not this one.

He's extremely poor and one of those players who thinks he's far better than he is. I don't rate our midfield at all and I think he is worse than Allan, Doucoure and Dele Alli and, at best on a par with Tom Davies. It really would be a pointless signing.

Everyone was losing their minds over Gilmour and he would be a lot better if Lampard wants that kind of player (despite the fact he's far too small).

Winks would not make us better and, at 26 and with a decent fee involved, would not make us money either. As we are struggling financially and need to amortise our player costs over longer contracts, he will after 2 years be another who isn't playing, we can't shift and sitting on a huge wage.

Sometimes players look good under certain systems.

Conte plays a completely different style to Poch did and Mourinho may have wanted different things from his CM.

If Frankel wants to play a 3 man midfield going forward with one player focused on keeping possession / keeping the play tick over he could be useful.

I for one will give him a chance even if Winky is a wee bit of an underwhelming signing.

Conte plays a completely different style to Poch did and Mourinho may have wanted different things from his CM.

If Frankel wants to play a 3 man midfield going forward with one player focused on keeping possession / keeping the play tick over he could be useful.

I for one will give him a chance even if Winky is a wee bit of an underwhelming signing.
?

He looked pretty good when he was playing under Pochettino.

When i say "pretty good" I mean top class.

Depends if you like that kind of player really.

I do.
I suspect we are in a minority, perhaps a significant one , but a player like Winks who retains possession and can pass the ball is something that we don't have. Play him with a more dynamic player like Gallagher and you have the makings of a midfield.

I suspect we are in a minority, perhaps a significant one , but a player like Winks who retains possession and can pass the ball is something that we don't have. Play him with a more dynamic player like Gallagher and you have the makings of a midfield.
We absolutely need a player like that. That player absolutely shouldn't be Harry Winks.

Well I agree with a fair few of your player assessments but definitely not this one.

He's extremely poor and one of those players who thinks he's far better than he is. I don't rate our midfield at all and I think he is worse than Allan, Doucoure and Dele Alli and, at best on a par with Tom Davies. It really would be a pointless signing.

Everyone was losing their minds over Gilmour and he would be a lot better if Lampard wants that kind of player (despite the fact he's far too small).

Winks would not make us better and, at 26 and with a decent fee involved, would not make us money either. As we are struggling financially and need to amortise our player costs over longer contracts, he will after 2 years be another who isn't playing, we can't shift and sitting on a huge wage.

The way to look at this positively I think is this:

1: Lampard will know all about Winks.

2: When he played under Pochettino he really was very good. Pochettino leaving has wrecked Winks' career. People rave about the new City player Phillips. Winks was looking at least as good as him for Spurs and England a couple of years ago -- and im someone who rates Phillips.

3: If we want to play a deep lying playmaker and cant take a big risk with us being close to relegation next season then theres not many more names past Winks and Gilmour who can offer that.

4: Lampard seems to thrive on motivating players. Tarkowski was rumoured to have signed as hes convinced he can get back into the England squad...theres no reason Winks cant also if he gets back to his previous form...looks like lost confidence as hes said.

5: If the fee was £40-60mil to a ball playing team when he was under Pochettino there wouldnt be too many surprises. Id hope its a loan with an option, £20mil could be a masterstroke but I dont think that will be the deal.

My view is that Pickford, Tarkowski, Winks, Dele and DCL under Lampard could all surprise alot of people this season.

I have the opinion that English players will really perform for him.

The way to look at this positively I think is this:

1: Lampard will know all about Winks.

2: When he played under Pochettino he really was very good. Pochettino leaving has wrecked Winks' career. People rave about the new City player Phillips. Winks was looking at least as good as him for Spurs and England a couple of years ago -- and im someone who rates Phillips.

3: If we want to play a deep lying playmaker and cant take a big risk with us being close to relegation next season then theres not many more names past Winks and Gilmour who can offer that.

4: Lampard seems to thrive on motivating players. Tarkowski was rumoured to have signed as hes convinced he can get back into the England squad...theres no reason Winks cant also if he gets back to his previous form...looks like lost confidence as hes said.

5: If the fee was £40-60mil to a ball playing team when he was under Pochettino there wouldnt be too many surprises. Id hope its a loan with an option, £20mil could be a masterstroke but I dont think that will be the deal.

My view is that Pickford, Tarkowski, Winks, Dele and DCL under Lampard could all surprise alot of people this season.

I have the opinion that English players will really perform for him.
I think you've undone your own argument when bringing in Phillips. Even when Phillips was playing in the Championship, he was a much better player than Winks - night and day.

You keep referencing Spurs under Pochettino as a defence. He was surrounded by very good players (Kalvin Phillips hasn't had that, though will do now). Every good team has squad bodies who aren't very good players but can rotate in and out when surrounded by good players, these squad bodies are then shown up for how poor/average are when they eventually move on for more game time. Utd had loads of them: O'Shea, Wes Brown, Phil Neville, Darren Fletcher etc.

I think you've undone your own argument when bringing in Phillips. Even when Phillips was playing in the Championship, he was a much better player than Winks - night and day.

You keep referencing Spurs under Pochettino as a defence. He was surrounded by very good players (Kalvin Phillips hasn't had that, though will do now). Every good team has squad bodies who aren't very good players but can rotate in and out when surrounded by good players, these squad bodies are then shown up for how poor/average are when they eventually move on for more game time. Utd had loads of them: O'Shea, Wes Brown, Phil Neville, Darren Fletcher etc.

I disagree.

Phillips has looked good for Leeds and England.

But remember theyve been playing a certain style which may have showcased his talents more.

In any case I think Winks was a very good performer and (like Gilmour) was getting plaudits galore.

Out of interest and i dont have any data or knowledge on this....Id guess that both Gilmour and Winks have turned out more superior performances against the 'elite' teams for club and country than Phillips has.

These two are no joke if playing as they did in the past.

Serious question, how do you know he thinks he's better than he is? What does that actually mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.