History

Never fall for - 'the enemy are running away, let's all break ranks and chase after them' trick...which, according to those who know these things is more or less how it went. Aitch more or less just had to see the game out to win.
Was he an Evertonian?

That's what hubris does for you, same for Reinhard Heydrich.

I don't know if I agree with the comparison. Sarajevo was the capital of a territory that was formally annexed to the Austrians in 1908, having been agreed by treaty in 1878 as under Austrian administration. The years following Bosnia's formal annexation were complicated, but it can be argued that Serbia was making moves to extend trading relations with the empire. It was precisely the thawing of relations between Vienna and Belgrade that spurred the nationalists into action.

Franz Ferdinand would have been aware of Serbian economic reforms, moves towards trade deals, as far as I know he wasn't made aware of ultra-nationalists perceiving his supposed moderation as a mortal threat for them.

Heydrich drove in an open topped car as a sign that he deemed German occupation of Bohemia, Moravia as complete, enduring and beyond challenge. I agree hubris on his part, performative or sincerely believed, it would cost him his life.

At best I would lay a charge of naivety at Franz Ferdinand, poor local planning and local intelligence failings. Heydrich, hubris, no question.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back