History

Went to Berrow beach on the Somerset coast yesterday and came across this remarkable thing:

Shipwreck 1.jpg

Its the wreck of the Norwegian barque SS Nornen, ran aground in a storm in the 1890's.

Shipwreck 4.jpg

Hard to appreciate the size looking at the wreck, but this is a typical 3 masted barque:

USRC_Salmon_P_Chase_-_LoC_4a25817u.jpg

All crew and the dog were rescued by the Burnham lifeboat. The hull is visible at low tide and submerged otherwise. Quite a thing to see a century old wreck, and then be able to walk out and touch it.

Shipwreck 3.jpg

You ever seen this @roydo ?

Went to Berrow beach on the Somerset coast yesterday and came across this remarkable thing:

View attachment 101340

Its the wreck of the Norwegian barque SS Nornen, ran aground in a storm in the 1890's.

View attachment 101344

Hard to appreciate the size looking at the wreck, but this is a typical 3 masted barque:

View attachment 101345

All crew and the dog were rescued by the Burnham lifeboat. The hull is visible at low tide and submerged otherwise. Quite a thing to see a century old wreck, and then be able to walk out and touch it.

View attachment 101338

You ever seen this @roydo ?

Yep, years ago. Its magic isnt it? I think the mud acts as some sort of preserving agent, iirc.

Its fab so it is, we only went there as mrs d wanted a walk on the beach, we could see a couple of people walking out to something and as we got close woz like - "no way, its a bloody shipwreck!!"

Remind me, is it near to Brean Down? (That massive headland, well it seemed massive when I was a lad!)

You don't find this in the history books. lol

EbM7qHvXYAAEbk1

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back