How knowledgeable is the Goodison crowd?

What's your take on match going bloos?

• Savvy - Know the game inside out and see the nuance that others don't

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Blinkered - The most sensible choices will be booed if player X is involved

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Clueless - They willingly pay loads to watch Everton so clearly have poor judgement

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Bedwetters - Every little bump in the road is a disaster and things have never been so bad

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Poseurs - They just want to say I was there for Goodison's last game / BMD first game

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Sociable - It's not actually about the game is it? It's the social occasion

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • HappyClappers - Here's my dough Farhad, keep serving up the dross

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
Dyche's substitution against Southampton certainly riled the crowd and he's not the first manager who's triggered that reaction. Ancelotti was not shielded entirely from criticism despite a CV that identifies him as GOAT material. Even the great Howard Kendall was questioned by the (stayaway) Goodison faithful.

Why is it that paid professionals with a lifetimes experience in the game seemingly make decisions that are quickly identified as obviously incorrect by people who haven't spent so much as a day on the books of even a semi-pro side?

Do match going blues have an intrinsic knowledge of the game garnered by a lifetime in the Park End? Or could we question the wisdom and even self-worth of people who habitually pay an extortionate sum to sit in hard plastic seats, in freezing weather, drinking overpriced hot brown water masquerading as coffee while watching and groaning at millionaires such as Michael Keane and his ilk repeatedly failing to perform to even a below middling standard?

I'd be interested as 'going the game' is often perceived by some as giving elevated status to themselves in terms of opinion and knowledge. On the other hand that willingness to be borderline extorted for such poor returns could indicate a lack of critical thinking skills thus ironically rendering their opinions and knowledge questionable at best.

The cry of 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' and calls for protest could be viewed as incompatible with directly funding those who repeatedly fail couldn't it? Or are those match going blues the ones who are making their voices heard unlike us keyboard warriors?

What's your take on the match going Super Bloos GOT?

Dyche's substitution against Southampton certainly riled the crowd and he's not the first manager who's triggered that reaction. Ancelotti was not shielded entirely from criticism despite a CV that identifies him as GOAT material. Even the great Howard Kendall was questioned by the (stayaway) Goodison faithful.

Why is it that paid professionals with a lifetimes experience in the game seemingly make decisions that are quickly identified as obviously incorrect by people who haven't spent so much as a day on the books of even a semi-pro side?

Do match going blues have an intrinsic knowledge of the game garnered by a lifetime in the Park End? Or could we question the wisdom and even self-worth of people who habitually pay an extortionate sum to sit in hard plastic seats, in freezing weather, drinking overpriced hot brown water masquerading as coffee while watching and groaning at millionaires such as Michael Keane and his ilk repeatedly failing to perform to even a below middling standard?

I'd be interested as 'going the game' is often perceived by some as giving elevated status to themselves in terms of opinion and knowledge. On the other hand that willingness to be borderline extorted for such poor returns could indicate a lack of critical thinking skills thus ironically rendering their opinions and knowledge questionable at best.

The cry of 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' and calls for protest could be viewed as incompatible with directly funding those who repeatedly fail couldn't it? Or are those match going blues the ones who are making their voices heard unlike us keyboard warriors?

Lots to answer there , firstly i think that people who pay to go the game are obviously better evertonians than people who watch it on the telly how ever if these telly clappers spent the price of a match ticket on Everton merchandise every week that would elevate them to true blue status

A lot of the people booing subbing our striker for Ashley Young whilst chasing a win have spent tens of hours of their own time (travel/pre match etc.) and hundreds of pounds on entertainment in the last few weeks to see us get stuffed twice, beat Doncaster and then give up three leads in a row and turn them into losses.

This is not entertainment, they have every right to vent their frustration as long as it’s not overly aggressive/racist/etc. and I’d argue anyone who isn’t massively frustrated with the start of our season has stopped caring which is probably more sad.

The worst ones for me are those who scream "You're part of the problem, it's people like you who're accepting mediocrity which is why we've fallen as a football club", simply because I outlined that I didn't expect us to get anything at Villa and therefore our priority lies in making sure we pick up points against Leicester & Palace. "We should be going to places like Villa Park and winning", based on what, you absolute moron?

The people who fail to recognise that just about everything at the football club right now is rubbish also drive me insane. Our goal this season, once again, is to stay up and move into the new stadium as a Premier League football club. It's embarrassing how that has become our only aim for the season given our rich history and enormous fanbase, but that's just the way it is. The Moshiri era has well and truly caught up with us and we're now paying the price for the countless mistakes we've made over the last 8 years. Again, end of story.

The same idiots who think we should just automatically be up there challenging for Europe, are the same fools who think the likes of Brighton, Brentford and Bournemouth shouldn't be in the first division because they're not *big* clubs.

I'm not by any means suggesting we should go the match and be happy with being rubbish each week, but there definitely has to be an acceptance of just how bad we are, nothing's gonna change for a while it looks like.

Rant over. Time for a coffee :coffee:

I just dont understand why there seems to be a group of so called blues on here who want to sneer at people who do go the match. Even this opening post is laced with it.
Not at all. I'm merely pointing out a possible contrary position to the "You even go the game lad?" rhetoric sometimes posted on here.

More Devil's advocate than sneering. It's all about the conversation - some of my best friends are ST holders.

Not at all. I'm merely pointing out a possible contrary position to the "You even go the game lad?" rhetoric sometimes posted on here.

More Devil's advocate than sneering. It's all about the conversation - some of my best friends are ST holders.
Yeah mate whatever you say. We both know what the threads is design to do.

I will also say people are also probably sick of going to the match to watch us have 25-30% possession of the ball and when we do have it, we bumble around with it or miss an easy chance. This will be multiplied by it being our last year at Goodison which should be a form of celebration and not a pit of misery like it currently is.

There's zero excitement in this team besides Ndiaye and he gets bypassed by Dyches tactics a lot of the time, sometimes having to force himself into a game in his own half.

Everton fans know more about the club, the squad, and the players than most of our recent managers.

Very few outside the club understand the issues here. I genuinely believe that - almost all my mates are Reds or United and their perception is really different to what is actually going on, and what has happened in the last decade at Everton.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back