How knowledgeable is the Goodison crowd?

What's your take on match going bloos?

• Savvy - Know the game inside out and see the nuance that others don't

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Blinkered - The most sensible choices will be booed if player X is involved

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Clueless - They willingly pay loads to watch Everton so clearly have poor judgement

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Bedwetters - Every little bump in the road is a disaster and things have never been so bad

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Poseurs - They just want to say I was there for Goodison's last game / BMD first game

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Sociable - It's not actually about the game is it? It's the social occasion

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • HappyClappers - Here's my dough Farhad, keep serving up the dross

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
There might be a sensible conversation to be had here, but you've completely ballsed up your opener if that was your intention.

If you don't recognise that you get a better idea of the game when you're there, where you can look at everything the camera isn't showing you, then I'm not sure you've grasped the terms of the debate, either.
But at the same time I've been to a game and had different takes on it than others who were also there. For instance Dyche is undoubtedly at every game and likely pays more attention to it than a crowd member who's got half a mind on watching their kid, chatting with their mate or whether to get off early for a pint at HT or get to the bog sharpish.

Both are at the game and seeing everything on the pitch but can have very different takes.

The Young substitution for instance was it really about having less people up front - or was it pushing McNeil forward into a more attacking role with Ndiaye moving into the now vacant centre? The rights and wrongs of whether it would or could work are obviously there to be questioned but it was it the definitive defensive negative change that some at the game defined it as.

The question is are some fans always going to view anything as wrong because manager X or player X are making that decision or involved in it?

There might be a sensible conversation to be had here, but you've completely ballsed up your opener if that was your intention.

If you don't recognise that you get a better idea of the game when you're there, where you can look at everything the camera isn't showing you, then I'm not sure you've grasped the terms of the debate, either.
I think the Goodison Park fans have a mixture of fans and the way they behave just like most clubs, two wins from now everything will seem different, two losses and it will be the end of the world, results dictate how fans behave always have always will, some fans will look for reasons why the team is playing badly, injuries have played a big part in Everton’s season up to now, some will look at the first 85 minutes of the Bournemouth game and take solace from that, others will look at the collapse at the end of the game solely and blame the players or the manager or both, it goes on and on, me ? I’m great on a good day, on a bad day I’ll look at how we played and if we’ve had a good go I’ll accept it, the only thing I’ll never accept is if we just give up and look like the players are not interested. We are all different and act in different ways depending on the circumstances.

But at the same time I've been to a game and had different takes on it than others who were also there. For instance Dyche is undoubtedly at every game and likely pays more attention to it than a crowd member who's got half a mind on watching their kid, chatting with their mate or whether to get off early for a pint at HT or get to the bog sharpish.

Both are at the game and seeing everything on the pitch but can have very different takes.

The Young substitution for instance was it really about having less people up front - or was it pushing McNeil forward into a more attacking role with Ndiaye moving into the now vacant centre? The rights and wrongs of whether it would or could work are obviously there to be questioned but it was it the definitive defensive negative change that some at the game defined it as.

The question is are some fans always going to view anything as wrong because manager X or player X are making that decision or involved in it?
Like I say, if you wanted a serious conversation you should have thought about the mad, dismissive tone towards all match-going fans in your opening post.

I'm not especially interested in seriously engaging after that, to be honest.

And I barely make it to the match anymore, so don't feel personally insulted by it. It was just unnecessary.

I think the Goodison Park fans have a mixture of fans and the way they behave just like most clubs, two wins from now everything will seem different, two losses and it will be the end of the world, results dictate how fans behave always have always will, some fans will look for reasons why the team is playing badly, injuries have played a big part in Everton’s season up to now, some will look at the first 85 minutes of the Bournemouth game and take solace from that, others will look at the collapse at the end of the game solely and blame the players or the manager or both, it goes on and on, me ? I’m great on a good day, on a bad day I’ll look at how we played and if we’ve had a good go I’ll accept it, the only thing I’ll never accept is if we just give up and look like the players are not interested. We are all different and act in different ways depending on the circumstances.
100%. We are all different. But every match going fan was put in the same steaming bucket of slop by the opening post.

I’m seeing a troubling divide between match goers and non match goers. We need to explore this further to understand who is right and who is wrong.
How can any matchgoing Everton fan be objective when dealing with the obstructed views, the smell of weed from the Gwladys street and the smell of floppy da farts from the park end?

From my comfortable chair, I have the best views, instant replays and Jamie carragher's deep tactical expertise to guide my thoughts.

How can any matchgoing Everton fan be objective when dealing with the obstructed views, the smell of weed from the Gwladys street and the smell of floppy da farts from the park end?

From my comfortable chair, I have the best views, instant replays and Jamie carragher's deep tactical expertise to guide my thoughts.
I just think you get a better feel for the game when you’re at it, but then you get caught up in it and influenced by others so is Goodison a massive echo chamber of fierce NSNOism?

It's changes every week, it’s been massively frustrated and angry, but against Southampton it was nothing, people are just fed up witg everything.
Spot on.

You can’t really take incidents in isolation. Dyche is not just judged on one result or substitution but on his time at Everton . Also unfortunately for him not just that he’s the latest to feel the result of 30 years of failure and frustration.

We should introduce ways of further isolating demographics to understand the crowd and their knowledge.

Eg, Anyone over a size 34 waist should have to sit in particular section, same for those with a low follicle percentage on their head. Those who have ever liked a peteblue politcical post should probably be in a cage near the far right corner of the park end.

Footy is not like most other "entertainment". It's not like going the cinema for instance, where you sit back and passively observe your movie of choice, and people rarely leave before the end. Footy is not without jeopardy, a live event and a far more two-way process, with no guarantees of satisfaction. Some people seem to forget that we are a major part of the whole thing and have a part to play (not like performing monkeys) as supporters. For some, it's like their whole life hinges on the outcome, and they feel the need to voice their displeasure at every misplaced pass, nevermind missed chances. That negativity can then transfer to the performance just as much as any roar can give energy to an attacking move. Managers and coaches often talk about those fine margins that can make a difference. We, as fans, can only influence that one aspect of the whole thing, and a poor team needs that even more, yet some can't boo quick enough. Btw, I'm not a happy clapper by any measure.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back