Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

How stupid are Manu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the scoffing by some people in regards to Van Gaal mentioning Di Maria's assists

Assists are important

If you 12 assists, that means you've be integral to your side getting 12 goals

That is deserving of praise and should be mentioned

I don't get why some are getting bent out of shape when it's being used as a positive to discuss Di Maria's season

It's an important stat and should be considered

I don't get the scoffing by some people in regards to Van Gaal mentioning Di Maria's assists

Assists are important

I don't get why some are getting bent out of shape when it's being used as a positive to discuss Di Maria's season

Ozil got 40 assists for real madrid in one season.

i think they considered him a key member of the team, and only money talked in selling him. but the fans protested him going if i recall, and all for a midfielder who didnt score that many goals.....

Ozil got 40 assists for real madrid in one season.

i think they considered him a key member of the team, and only money talked in selling him. but the fans protested him going if i recall, and all for a midfielder who didnt score that many goals.....
40 in one season ?

Did he ?

Assists are important

Assists are important for sure, but I feel like football stats are generally very poor currently. They don't explain how useful a player actually is. I haven't seen much of United this season, so I'm not fit to judge Di Maria (although, for the price tag you'd expect him to be integral to their side, and he doesn't seem to be).

Pienaar is the classic example. He never had huge assist numbers, but often set up the pass that led to an assist, which can be a far more difficult skill. That doesn't show up in his stats.

Take, for example, a player that sits in the box and doesn't do much, but players lump it up to him a lot and he knocks it down for others to score. He's useful, for sure, he leads to goals, but it doesn't mean he's a great footballer, nor does it mean he's good for the overall health of the team - he spends all his time in one area of the pitch doing one thing well.

Football stats have a long way to go to being able to actually explain the skill of a player. Basketball is the perfect example of a free-flowing sport that has had a recent statistical revolution that allows us to tell far more about the quality of an individual that we could 10 years ago. I suspect football will go down that route and assists will become a somewhat outdated statistical measurement. The goal column will also likely be lessened in value if measurements can begin to show things like touch, build up play, link up play, movement, and heatmap goal data - i.e. how likely is this player to score given a specific set of circumstances. Currently the only way to differentiate Lukaku and Jelavic is to watch them, when they are clearly different players and bring different things to a team.

Hah.

I go off about stats and then this shows up:
http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-...dvanced-stat-kind-of-sucks-1685563075/+kylenw

This is precisely why counting stats tend to be fairly useless.

It's very difficult to gauge a player on assists alone, DiMaria, Ozil and Sanchez have been the best as assisters in Europe over the last number of seasons. Since their moves their assist stats though while good have dropped dramatically. With a fair analyse being passing to Messi and Ronaldo 40 yards from goal is still an assist.

So whether the assisted is actually a good player or the talent of the scoring forward actually makes the baseline stats of the assister better then their baseline quality is wide open for debate.

Bolaise has 9 assists this season with largely aiming at Chamakh, Di Maria has 12 aiming at Rooney, Falque and RVP. Which is more impressive.

Last edited:

Whether you cite James or Reep as the grandfather of the industry, it's still in its infancy (or at best in the toddler stage.)

Lots of meaning is found where it isn't, and that's not new to any field. Data is good, but it requires lucid interpretation.

All stories need a storyteller.
Yeah. My point is more that counting stats don't tell much (although in football, goals kind of tells a lot..though obviously not enough). Advanced metrics in football are way behind where they are in other sports...at least metrics made available to the public. This will change, and when it does, things like assists and goals will rightly be considered less important in judging the ability of a player. Factors such as their teammates, league they play in, playing surface, style of play, and much more will all be more quantifiable.

Football requires more data, and a much better way to assess and interpret the data. Scoring 10 goals with Lionel Messi setting you up is significantly easier than with Steven Naismith behind. While that's an obvious statement, it's not currently easily quantified where the true skill lies, it only exists when observed.

Observation is still the gold standard in any sport, but sometimes math can prove things wrong that seem obvious on the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back