Howard Kendall Or Harry Catterick

Who Is Our Greatest Manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cork Evertonian

Player Valuation: £50m
So who do we consider to be our greatest ever manager? Catterick never got the credit he deserved as a manager. He always seemed to be in the shadow of that gobby loudmouth across the park!

I would go for Howard Kendall though. That period in the mid 80's was the closest we came to having a real dynasty period of success, until our horrible neighbours ruined it all for us!

Unlike Catterick Howard has the european trophy as well. Both of them were great but Howard is number one for me.

I remember both, and the Cat was a top manager who built two separate title winning sides. Football wise the Cats teams played magical, magical football and if i wanted to be entertained it would be the Catterick teams all day long. But at the end of the day, success is about trophies, and Howards side won more. So if i was forced to choose I would choose Howard

So who do we consider to be our greatest ever manager? Catterick never got the credit he deserved as a manager. He always seemed to be in the shadow of that gobby loudmouth across the park!

I would go for Howard Kendall though. That period in the mid 80's was the closest we came to having a real dynasty period of success, until our horrible neighbours ruined it all for us!

Unlike Catterick Howard has the european trophy as well. Both of them were great but Howard is number one for me.
My uncle who remembered both always said that Kendall was great but he was no catterick.

For myself hard to imagine better than Kendall as the side the built was amazing and winning it in 87 with the various major injuries not many could have done

Both were giants.

I think it's unfair to compare as the eras were so different. Both had huge achievements. Kendall probably built the greater side - his team won two leagues, the cup, and a European trophy - but Catterick built two great sides and matched the trophy haul bar the European cup. Kendall burned brighter for shorter, Catterick smouldered for the best part of a decade.

Two greats.

Catterick is probably the better student/philosopher/academic of the game. But Kendall turned the fortunes of a middling club and made them, briefly, the best in the world.

I was 18 when we won the cup in 1984. The next 3 years were magic. That team was incredible, yet torn apart by we know what. For making my youth so incredible, I choose Howie.

I was ten, and have to remember something as well we where going up against arguably the best ever Liverpool side in their history and one of the best ever sides in Europe and for a three year period until you know what we overtook them in direct competition.

There is no question but that Howard Kendall was the more successful manager, but,the Catt built the most amazing football team in the late 60's. Consider how many of the late 60'S team were developed by the club, 6 of the first choice 11 were Everton youths, Wright. Labone. Hurst Harvey,Husband and Royle. The lads who stepped in due to injury, Rankin, Whittle and Kenyon, once again Everton youths and yet, that was the best side I have seen at Goodison, an absolute pleasure to watch.
Just based on stats, you would have to say Kendall was our most successful manager, but, for the quality of the team and the pure joy of watching them, I would go with the Catt, an unlikeable man, but, a true great football manager, he built two amazing sides in the 60's.

Kendall fore. He didn't have the Mersey millionaire behind him. That midfield or Bracewell, Reid,Sheedy and Steven cost less than £1m. I know times are comparative but players were going going for about £1m at the time. Add to that the rest of team team and there were no superstars except maybe Lineker. He didn't last long. A truly great team unfortunately cut short by the murderers

I was 18 when we won the cup in 1984. The next 3 years were magic. That team was incredible, yet torn apart by we know what. For making my youth so incredible, I choose Howie.
I am your age & will never forget that cup win. It felt like an endless drought was over. And the next few years - wow. It all came crumbling down so quickly 😭. I loved the Kendall era, we were on top of the world. Too young to remember Catterick.

I feel really sorry for the younger generation of Evertonians, no memories of success at all.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.