Howard Kendall Or Harry Catterick

Who Is Our Greatest Manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no question but that Howard Kendall was the more successful manager, but,the Catt built the most amazing football team in the late 60's. Consider how many of the late 60'S team were developed by the club, 6 of the first choice 11 were Everton youths, Wright. Labone. Hurst Harvey,Husband and Royle. The lads who stepped in due to injury, Rankin, Whittle and Kenyon, once again Everton youths and yet, that was the best side I have seen at Goodison, an absolute pleasure to watch.
Just based on stats, you would have to say Kendall was our most successful manager, but, for the quality of the team and the pure joy of watching them, I would go with the Catt, an unlikeable man, but, a true great football manager, he built two amazing sides in the 60's.

He broke my heart when he sold Bally - I don't think I ever cried as much since even at the death of loved ones. I was only 6 mind you :-(

…. I’m of a view that the 69/70 team is the greatest in the clubs history and I know Kendall and Colin Harvey shared that opinion. HK brought us our only European trophy and was denied a tilt at the ‘big one’ by circumstances.

Catterick had longevity and built 2 Championship teams, Kendall achieved his titles in a shorter period but that 2nd success included shrewd ‘journeymen’ purchases like Paul Power and Wayne Clarke. We can’t forgive Catterick for ‘selling Ball’ but he brought him to the club in the first instance.

For me, neither is better than the other, I started going to Goodison in early ‘60s and I’m privileged to have enjoyed the work of both great managers.

…. I’m of a view that the 69/70 team is the greatest in the clubs history and I know Kendall and Colin Harvey shared that opinion. HK brought us our only European trophy and was denied a tilt at the ‘big one’ by circumstances.

Catterick had longevity and built 2 Championship teams, Kendall achieved his titles in a shorter period but that 2nd success included shrewd ‘journeymen’ purchases like Paul Power and Wayne Clarke. We can’t forgive Catterick for ‘selling Ball’ but he brought him to the club in the first instance.

For me, neither is better than the other, I started going to Goodison in early ‘60s and I’m privileged to have enjoyed the work of both great managers.

Was just thinking due to this thread so checked back through the history.

Up until Martinez wed only ever had 15 permanent managers in the club's entire history, under moshiri we've had 8....

It is impossible to choose both were brilliant managers both left when they still were young enough to achieve more , Catterick from ill health and Kendall because of Heysel.
Both should be remembered at BMD and I am incredibly lucky to see both eras maybe not so much of 62/63 as I first went October 63.
One thing is for sure they will both be turning in there graves looking at the mess the club is in now and for me this all leads to William Kenwright the super fans door.

The saddest thing is that we've only had two truly decent managers since WWII.
Id add Joe Royle to that. The club was imploding even then, from the shambles he was given, he delivered the fa cup, and charity sheild.

To answer the question, id say HK simply due to him winning more in shorter span.

As a huge fan of his, i actually feel robbed HK left us the first time so early. I realise you cant base answers on what might have been, but cant help but think that had he stayed.

The mid 80s for a young lad such as me were amazing

Last edited:
Our age obviously plays a significant part , my memories under Catterick include The Golden Vision, the ‘66 cup final and watching the Holy Trinity leads us to the title in 1970 . Being a teenager for those last two makes them indelible. For me it is the era rather than the individual. The Catterick era and the Kendall era were equally glorious , but for me the Catterick era just edges it.

I was 18 when we won the cup in 1984. The next 3 years were magic. That team was incredible, yet torn apart by we know what. For making my youth so incredible, I choose Howie.
I’m a couple of years younger than you but you’re right , they were truly magical. I thought those days would never end .

like you I chose Howard , as I’ll be forever grateful for the days he gave me .

An uncomfortable truth: the 1969/70 side was a butterfly: a one-season wonder.

We all have our preferences and biases, but the harsh truth for that great side is it achieved far too little to be compared to the mid-80s side which won two leagues, an FA Cup, European trophy, four Charity Shields, and played in a League Cup final and two more FA Cup finals - and all within four years.

It's not even a contest. What a season, though.

People can legitimately argue that the 1969/70 side was better - but they can't argue it was greater. Its achievements are summed up by the fact we refer to it as a side from a single season - "the 1969/70 team" - rather than the more expansive "1980s side".

Harry Catterick's greatness compares with Howard Kendall's. They match up well in terms of trophies and achievements. But the 1969/70 side does not match up with the 1980s side on those criteria. Yet, for a season, they were glorious.

Last edited:
Having seen Carey, Catterick and Kendall
I voted Kendall on Trophies.
Now if somebody would kindly total up Catterick P, W, L, D. % Vs Kendall Mks I+II & III P, W, L, D. %.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back