Howard Kendall Or Harry Catterick

Who Is Our Greatest Manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our age obviously plays a significant part , my memories under Catterick include The Golden Vision, the ‘66 cup final and watching the Holy Trinity leads us to the title in 1970 . Being a teenager for those last two makes them indelible. For me it is the era rather than the individual. The Catterick era and the Kendall era were equally glorious , but for me the Catterick era just edges it.
I've written 3(?) times as this question has popped up over the years...and...eventually...gave the ulitmate nod to 84-85.

But finished stating (gist)...That give one and one trip only in the TARDIS / DeLoreanI would go back to 1969*

* after later reflection, I decided that the one trip might be best served going back to 1892 and Insist that they pay the rent increase...It'll save much angst down the years.

I started supporting in 84 so obviously I voted for Howard. But, the more I read about Harry's tenure, the more I realise how good a manager he was. Built 2 different title-winning teams, at a time when the league was at it's most competitive. I think there were 7 different clubs winning the title in the 60's, and Harry won it twice in that period. Both legends.

I started supporting in 84 so obviously I voted for Howard. But, the more I read about Harry's tenure, the more I realise how good a manager he was. Built 2 different title-winning teams, at a time when the league was at it's most competitive. I think there were 7 different clubs winning the title in the 60's, and Harry won it twice in that period.

Both legends.
This

I was ten, and have to remember something as well we where going up against arguably the best ever Liverpool side in their history and one of the best ever sides in Europe and for a three year period until you know what we overtook them in direct competition.
That is a very valid point mate, although in Cattericks time, his 60’s success came about when ManU had the likes of Best, Law, Charlton, and Matt Busby at the helm. Liverpool had St John, Hunt and Tommy Smith, and Shankly. Both did great against great opponents. For an old fart like me (and I have already voted for Howard) i think back at the great 80’s midfield, and mad though it sounds, they would all have been on the bench in the late 60’s. Not one single player would have gotten in ahead of the holy trinity. Thats how good that Catterick side was!

there wont be many on here who will remember much at all about Catterick

Still a few of us to tell the tale citizen. ;)

You have to remember that in the 1960's , outside 'swinging London', Liverpool was the centre of the world.

Everton played with an elan and swagger that epitomised the promise of a renewed post war optimism.

After the grim 1950's, people had jobs, leisure time for the working class was increased, and a packed Goodison was rocking every second Saturday at 3-00pm. I can still remember the sounds and smells today.

Catterick was a man of contradictions, taciturn, distant, and a strict disciplinarian, and yet his teams played with a freedom and style that belied the mans characteristics.

Whilst Shankley bullied, blustered, and pontificated bull***t 'philosophy' , Catterick quietly, and with a degree of class, moulded the team we all knew and loved.

So privileged and proud to be old enough to have enjoyed the 60's and 80's dynasties.

I suspect Kendall was probably the great manager he was because he learnt so much off Catterick!

My humble opinion is they were both great managers of some of the best Everton teams ever, and it’s almost impossible to say which one is the greatest!

It’s a bit like trying decide who would win a game between the 69/70 team and the 84/85 team, we’ll never know but it would be a great game to watch!

Great memories of times under both.
Catterick probably edges it for me but I realise that earliest memories leave the strongest impressions.
Worryingly if you were to start a poll for 'worst Everton manager' the list would be enormous.
My god with regards to the worst Everton manager poll, i think i'll leave that job to someone else!:lol: It's 50/50 between Mike Walker and Rafael Benitez there.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.