Howard Kendall Or Harry Catterick

Who Is Our Greatest Manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Catterick and Kendall but i'd add Joe Royle to the list as well.

He didn't have the same levels of success that the other two enjoyed, but still though Joe is our only manager outside of Harry and Howard to win us a trophy post the second world war.

I would also add Gordon Lee as well.

We played some great football under Gordon and were involved in two Title challenges, finishing top four two seasons running and qualifying for Europe.

I would also add Gordon Lee as well.

We played some great football under Gordon and were involved in two Title challenges, finishing top four two seasons running and qualifying for Europe.
So unlucky against Villa in that league cup final second replay. He was cheated out of taking us to an FA Cup final by Clive Thomas as well.

Circumstances just conspired against poor Gordon Lee. You had the neighbours, that great Forest team under Brian Clough and Ipswich under Bobby Robson were decent enough as well.

An uncomfortable truth: the 1969/70 side was a butterfly: a one-season wonder.

We all have our preferences and biases, but the harsh truth for that great side is it achieved far too little to be compared to the mid-80s side which won two leagues, an FA Cup, European trophy, four Charity Shields, and played in a League Cup final and two more FA Cup finals - and all within four years.

It's not even a contest. What a season, though.

People can legitimately argue that the 1969/70 side was better - but they can't argue it was greater. Its achievements are summed up by the fact we refer to it as a side from a single season - "the 1969/70 team" - rather than the more expansive "1980s side".

Harry Catterick's greatness compares with Howard Kendall's. They match up well in terms of trophies and achievements. But the 1969/70 side does not match up with the 1980s side on those criteria. Yet, for a season, they were glorious.

I think that's harsh. I see it more as 69/70 was the culmination of a young team who had come close in previous seasons, going one better and winning the league in style. You've got to remember that this was the second great team Catterick produced, replacing the likes of Vernon and Young from the early-mid 60s with lots of home grown talent. We should have won the cup in 68 and by all accounts the football from 67-70 was as good as anything we've ever played.

It's certainly disappointing how it panned out after 1970, however 2 different results in March 1971 against the RS and panathanikos and things could have panned out so differently. Small margins.

The league was more competitive under Kendal.

It really wasn't.

I mean of course there was the great Liverpool side that HK overcame, but the league in the late 60s was far more competitive, with some truly great teams...Leeds, Man Utd (who won the European cup in 68), Liverpool, Man City all had really good teams.

I think that's harsh. I see it more as 69/70 was the culmination of a young team who had come close in previous seasons, going one better and winning the league in style. You've got to remember that this was the second great team Catterick produced, replacing the likes of Vernon and Young from the early-mid 60s with lots of home grown talent. We should have won the cup in 68 and by all accounts the football from 67-70 was as good as anything we've ever played.

It's certainly disappointing how it panned out after 1970, however 2 different results in March 1971 against the RS and panathanikos and things could have panned out so differently. Small margins.

It really wasn't.

I mean of course there was the great Liverpool side that HK overcame, but the league in the late 60s was far more competitive, with some truly great teams...Leeds, Man Utd (who won the European cup in 68), Liverpool, Man City all had really good teams.
That team was no one season wonders. They should've won the cup in 1968 as you said, and the consensus seems to be that they reached their peak in 1968/1969.

Sadly they won nothing that season. A few of that team played in the 1966 FA Cup final as well. If it wasn't for Revie and his shower of thugs and snides that Everton team could've won more imo.

Catterick due to health issues was not the same manager after 1970. So circumstances in many ways conspired against them.

In reality the sixties was the era when all pigs really were equal to a point. The four big North West clubs traded blows with Dirty Leeds, Spurs and others like WBA and WHU had their fair share of glory. I would argue that Catterick managed the most consistent team of the sixties and if WBA hadn't somehow took the 68 FA Cup Final our decade would have looked really well balanced.

I lived and breathed as a fan what Howard did and what a ride it was. However 11 against 11 the second Champions that Catterick built for me edge out the Howard boys. Interesting debate but the press did a job on Harry whose health brought his reign to a sad end. All started by a sad week in 1971, it was really down hill from there.

In reality the sixties was the era when all pigs really were equal to a point. The four big North West clubs traded blows with Dirty Leeds, Spurs and others like WBA and WHU had their fair share of glory. I would argue that Catterick managed the most consistent team of the sixties and if WBA hadn't somehow took the 68 FA Cup Final our decade would have looked really well balanced.

I lived and breathed as a fan what Howard did and what a ride it was. However 11 against 11 the second Champions that Catterick built for me edge out the Howard boys. Interesting debate but the press did a job on Harry whose health brought his reign to a sad end. All started by a sad week in 1971, it was really down hill from there.
I think Harry has more accumulated points won as a manager in the 60's, than the likes of Busby, Shankly and Revie etc.

So yes the stats do prove that Everton were the most consistent team of the 60's.

If we only we could've won just one, out of the Panathinaikos game and cup semi final against the rs. Two devastating setbacks that crushed the spirit of that fine team.

Both great, but Kendal for me. I was a young man with a young family & fortunate enough to be at the 84 cup final. Happiest times for me, both personally and seeing that great Everton side rise to fame, nostalgia I guess.

Someone stated, "If the league had started Xmas 83/84 we would have been champions in 84". Never checked the stats, but it was certainly an amazing turn around in fortunes

Back then we waited 14 years for that team and all that success, so sad where we are today

I'm convinced if Heysel had never of happened then there would be no real comparison between Howard and Harry. That mid-80s team were a young side with a young manager and many successful years ahead of them. Everyone was of the opinion that they would dominate English and European football for at least the next 5 years and counting. No team lost more on the back of Heysel than Everton. It was a catastrophic blow, made even worse in that it was them across the park that caused it. This was our dynasty moment and it was cruelly taken away. Lineker went to Barca, Howard followed him to Spain and the team broke up. Not long after a certain Bill Kenwright showed up and the rest is history. For me, the move to Bramley-Moore is much more than just upgrading our home, but a chance to really cut ties with the last 30+ years of feeling utterly cursed.

Catterick built two title winning teams in an era when there was a number of top teams vying for the title. City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Derby. My dad said the 70 title winning side played better football than the 85 team (that is some compliment). However Catterick’s reign is tarnished by the selling of Alan Ball, which culminated in the break up of that great side.
On the other hand, we weren’t known as the Mersey millionaires when Kendall took over. He built a title winning team on a relative pittance and won our only European trophy. For that, I’d give it to Kendall. Even though for me, his reputation was also tarnished by going to Bilbao (hardly a heavyweight of Spanish football) when we were the best team in England. I’m sure he had doubts at the end of his managerial career over that decision.

Catterick built two title winning teams in an era when there was a number of top teams vying for the title. City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Derby.
true
My dad said the 70 title winning side played better football than the 85 team (that is some compliment).
short version; also true
(long version on application)
However Catterick’s reign is tarnished by the selling of Alan Ball,
True-ish...up to a point.
But Harry had form for selling anybody who spoke back to him, aka, had a mind of their own and a tongue in their heads.
While they were doing The Biz on field they were safe
But if Harry thought their best days were behind them AND they argued with him, especially if they were approaching or past 30.
If he could get a decent price - they were gone...just good business he said, (nothing personal - yeah right)
Collins. Vernon, Gabriel, Young...up to a point & Ball

How
Culminating in the break up of a great side
That side wasn't broken up.
It fell apart.
due to poor form, injuries, bad luck and Harry's failing health/decision making or lack of it, plus poor dealings in the transfer market
There's a very good case for the theory that - Tommy Jackson apart - Cattericks last decent signing was Kendall in 1967
On the other hand, we weren’t known as the Mersey millionaires when Kendall took over. He built a title winning team on a relative pittance and won our only European trophy. For that, I’d give it to Kendall. Even though for me, his reputation was also tarnished by going to Bilbao (hardly a heavyweight of Spanish football) when we were the best team in England. I’m sure he had doubts at the end of his managerial career over that decision.
Also true.

Anyway I saw them both and both were/are Legends

Catterick built two title winning teams in an era when there was a number of top teams vying for the title. City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Derby. My dad said the 70 title winning side played better football than the 85 team (that is some compliment). However Catterick’s reign is tarnished by the selling of Alan Ball, which culminated in the break up of that great side.
HK to Bilbao is baffling to this day - hard to believe there isn't some story behind this, but afaik he always described it in humdrum terms. New challenges, European ban, Bilbao a grand old club etc.

What is not hard to understand is that EFC off the pitch have been bad for decades, and HK built that side out of thin air and totally against expectation. So it is quite believable that he had a fk this am oot moment.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.