Hypothetical: We get a new manager - what is their first move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thread police"

HAHHAHA.

I would personally love Ferguson, but I would settle for Roberto Di Matteo!

Di Matteo, seriously? The man struggled at West Brom, was rejected by Birmingham before falling into the main job at the Bridge, where he was quickly found out. He'd definitely be a wrong move at this time...

As someone else said, Roberto Martinez would be a decent shout.

I'd question whether Di Matteo's connections in the game are enough to see him survive on our budget.
I'd hope any new manager would see the potential in the current squad, try and focus on the few kinks and problems that are still there and finally resolve them.
A big problem is our aging squad, which I think we'd see someone struggling to completely turn around. Meaning a few years of recession, unless a big sale could turn around. Probably Fellaini and someone else would be sacrificed for the new manager to be able to set his own brand on the team.

The question highlights one of the tragedies of 2012, the suicide of Gary Speed. Fully expected Speedo to take over in some future years, and think he could have been an excellent choice.

Di Matteo was badly found out with that FA Cup/Champions League double like.

Terrible manager.

It depends what you think we need as a manager.

Do we need someone who can do Moyes job (i.e a transfer wizard), do we need someone who will never get us relegated as a priority (a solid 6/10 manager like an allardyce), do we need someone whos a coach more than anything else and who's main job is to work on our kids since we're too skint to bring in quality any other way (a rodgers type if you like) or do we want someone who can take an already talented bunch of players and just give them the winning mentality to actually win a cup but who has question marks over his abilty to build a team himself or turn around a bad run (that would be the di matteo choice)?

My own opinion is that we currently have a manger who is guarenteed to both never get us relegated and never to win anything. Whichever of those two we think is most likely to happen should guide your choice for manager to replace him.

(See avram grant as a fine example of a hands off manager who's excellent at a good team but terrible at a bad one. Di matteo strikes me as of that sort.)

Di Matteo was badly found out with that FA Cup/Champions League double like.

Terrible manager.

mourinho2_411.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back