2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in my top 20 of Everton midfielders of the prem era. Astounded at the hype. We truly do so overrate our players in these times. That's why they keep on getting games. Fact is, he'd not get a game for any other prem side,but we love nostalgia and pay big wages to journeymen.
His reputation among Evertonians has always baffled me.

Begging for him to return every transfer window since he left.

It's like visiting a Tottenham forum and seeing them all still banging on about Wilson Palacios.

Who'd have thought with the entire side struggling an no one to hit upfield with the long ball would see us hemmed into our own half looking for miracle passes to who knows where. Until a wide forward and a forward step up and start performing we will continue to have no options in attack so every mistake and cul de sac we find ourselves in will lead to more pressure, more fan frustration and ever worsening results.
We cant even keep the ball in their half of the center circle. We should have played Arsenal already, its Wolves and Man City next? We're right stuck in trouble here, and a signing or two aint going to fix it just like that. Real trouble.

It's wierd that he always seems to be on the ball, this happend but to lesser extent in his first spell.

Iwobi and Onana are pushed up so high, while Gana drops deep becomes the only option for the back 4 to pass to other than hoofing it to Maupay.

It's like he's being asked to play the Pirlo role, when he doesnt have the skill set to do he actually needs a midfielder who will sit behind him so he can go and press for the ball

It's wierd that he always seems to be on the ball, this happend but to lesser extent in his first spell.

Iwobi and Onana are pushed up so high, while Gana drops deep becomes the only option for the back 4 to pass to other than hoofing it to Maupay.

It's like he's being asked to play the Pirlo role, when he doesnt have the skill set to do he actually needs a midfielder who will sit behind him so he can go and press for the ball
Agree. Onana or Garner should sit with Gana ratting around next to them and Iwobi or another creative player ahead, personally I would bring in another creative /goal scoring midfielder and put Iwobi in a wide area where he can cut in that would help. Gana has never been a six in the sense of sitting there for me he's always hunted the ball.

I think he has an important role to play but maybe not starting every game and certainly not our main play maker.
I think him coming onto the team to help close down midfield for the last 30 mins.
I don't know where the idea of him playmaker has come from.

If he's playing in an advanced role, as he is doing for Senegal tonight, then he can't be expected to then drop right off back into a position just in front of the back four whenever we're not on the ball. He has the benefit of having both Kouyate & Mendy picking up that slack in CM, something he doesn't have the luxury of here.

Thing is, whilst Iwobi is fit he will always be the most advanced of our central midfielders, so for me that means Gueye should be utilised pretty much exclusively as a number 6 for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.