2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand the logic that him having a more defined role at PSG will mean fewer gaps. If he’s straight into the first team there he would pair Veratti in midfield, with Neymar, Di Maria, Mbappe and Cavani in front of him. As soon as an opponent gets through the forward four, there will be as many gaps as there are at Everton and he’ll have just as much work to do alongside the playmaking but stroppy Veratti.

Silva does not play some inherently more complicated system than PSG, he just has worse players. We both play very attacking full backs. We both play 4-2-3-1 with an emphasis on counter attacks. Gomes is even a Veratti like deep sitting playmaker. I do not buy the idea that as PSG his role will be dramtically different. The criticism of him chasing the ball and leaving a gap will be exactly the same at PSG, especially when they have even fewer players tracking back of positioned defensively when they’re out of possession.

If you put a prime Barry back in our midfield, with Gomes alongside, you would lack both recovery pace and have two players performing a similar role. We could still easily be overrun if the opponent put three in the middle. Would you want Kante in the team? Or is he also impossible to work for us but good enough for title winning teams?
But I don't think if we sell Gana we would play the same formation. I think as soon as Silva get his 6 he will revert to his favoured 4-3-3 with box to box midfielders either side of the anchor man, 2 wide forwards who will cut inside and then the overlapping full backs. This formation is the most successful in football at this period in time. The 4-2-3-1 just doesn't work but we are forced to play it because Gana isn't a 6 and Sigurdsson isn't an 8.

Also despite what the tackling stats say, Kante is a vastly better player than Gana and has showed this by playing as a box to box this year.

I have nothing against Gana, he just doesn't suit the managers system.

No he didn't...lookman made the pass to DCL. I'll give you the ball to lookman was from Gana, but to be honest it was a simple pass forward. It was lookman tenacity to win the ball back and make the run down the wing that made that goal even possible!
Gueye shows for the ball but that's also his job, his forward passing is poor....he gives it away so much. Then again pretty much all over them are guilty of that of late!
I like Gana a lot, but no one is irreplaceable. This is one of the biggest problems we have as a club we show way too much loyalty to too many aging players, keep them way past their sell by date and then get stuck with them on big wages and don't replace them. The current example is Coleman.

No it was a good pass over the top. Setting someone up doesn't mean they just get the final pass in. This is why stats are useless. His good ball to Lookman sprung them away so we could score. He is our player why downplay it? We seem obsessed with doing things like that.

He gives it away as much as expected for someone in his role who says so much of the ball. His passing is fine, not great, but its fine.

Not saying he is irreplaceable but I want want at least 50% on top of the fee being rumoured. Why? Because he is one of (the most in my opinion) important players we have with very little cover in that area and no guarantee that if we did sign someone that they would be better.

Coleman is playing poorly. Is he finished? Who knows. Everyone is playing poorly though generally.

No one will be interested come the summer, especially for the money getting mentioned now. And it’s not about on the pitch now, well imho. Apparently Brands told Moshiri if you want me to fix it in 12 months, I’m not the man fir the job, we can’t spend 80mil on a player and pay him 300k a week.

After the mess that has been left, it’s always going to be a long term thing. And young players are going to be targeted and some will be unproven, but this is why Brands has been brought in, because this is his specialty. Time will tell.

Turning down big money fir gana is short term thinking.

It's not big money though. People need to get with the times with their valuations.

Also he is 29, looks in good nick, could probably go for another 4-5 years. Its not like he is mid 30's.

No one will be interested come the summer, especially for the money getting mentioned now. And it’s not about on the pitch now, well imho. Apparently Brands told Moshiri if you want me to fix it in 12 months, I’m not the man fir the job, we can’t spend 80mil on a player and pay him 300k a week.

After the mess that has been left, it’s always going to be a long term thing. And young players are going to be targeted and some will be unproven, but this is why Brands has been brought in, because this is his specialty. Time will tell.

Turning down big money fir gana is short term thinking.

We don't need anyone interested in our better players at anytime really. I wasn't aware or told about any conversations between Brands and Moshiri unfortunately so can't comment on that.

Yep I'm 100% behind the clearance of the previous regimes mess but like I said Gueye isn't the mess. It's hardly big money considering PSG have very limited funds to spend.

Selling your best players at every opportunity is extremely short term thinking and as a fan I would much rather they were on the pitch in front of me playing for Everton.

If he was to go, what sort of replacement would everyone like to see come in?

Frenkie De Jong?
Tiago Maia?
Marcos Llorente?
Hendrix at PSV?

Agree, providing we have got a younger more well rounded replacement lined up (hopefully in the mould of Olivier Dacourt) than im more than happy to see him go for that price

I would hold for the summer myself, throw an axe in the middle of the changing room and let Schnederlin, McCarthy and Davies fight it out.

The way i look at this is an out is vital, we are 30 mill in the red and need money to break even this year, of all our sellable assets, Richarlison, Pickford, Dinge that realistically people would want id prefer to loose Gueye.

No it was a good pass over the top. Setting someone up doesn't mean they just get the final pass in. This is why stats are useless. His good ball to Lookman sprung them away so we could score. He is our player why downplay it? We seem obsessed with doing things like that.

He gives it away as much as expected for someone in his role who says so much of the ball. His passing is fine, not great, but its fine.

Not saying he is irreplaceable but I want want at least 50% on top of the fee being rumoured. Why? Because he is one of (the most in my opinion) important players we have with very little cover in that area and no guarantee that if we did sign someone that they would be better.

Coleman is playing poorly. Is he finished? Who knows. Everyone is playing poorly though generally.
I think you might want to watch the goal again the ball was played on the deck, down the side of the full back and it was a simple 8 yard pass at best. Just saying!!!
You'll never get 45 million for Gana in a million years that's pie in the sky thinking. The lads wants out is the rumour and from his body language on Saturday against the Saints and the small dust up he had (never really seen him do that) I honestly think he wants out as well...unfortunately!
Sad to say but Coleman looks done for me, his pace was always his greatest asset... and he can't even take average defenders on anymore in that respect. :(

I think you might want to watch the goal again the ball was played on the deck, down the side of the full back and it was a simple 8 yard pass at best. Just saying!!!
You'll never get 45 million for Gana in a million years that's pie in the sky thinking. The lads wants out is the rumour and from his body language on Saturday against the Saints and the small dust up he had (never really seen him do that) I honestly think he wants out as well...unfortunately!
Sad to say but Coleman looks done for me, his pace was always his greatest asset... and he can't even take average defenders on anymore in that respect. :(

It was a nice pass that lead to a goal. They way people talk you would think he never passed to one of our players ever. He is fine in the role he does passing wise.

I know we wont get 45M for him, I want him to stay! 30M gets your a Tom Cleverley standard player these days. Its not much at all.

Not seeing the body language thing at all, but we seem to have become experts on things like that lately (Walcott not caring, Pickford being arrogant etc).

Coleman is still of a decent standard for me, he is just not as good as he was currently.

So would you be happy us now, paying 30/35mil for Gana from villa at 29 turning 30 in the summer.

Honestly I wouldn't care, it's not my money.

Age doesn't bother me either, all that matters to me is if the player is good or not.

I would be happy if we could get someone as good as him for that price yeah. or me the only 2 players who I have no questions about right now are Gueye and Digne. I am not keen on losing one regardless. As I mentioned earlier though it all depends on how important of a role you think Gueye plays. If you don't rate him then debating it is pointless really isn't it because on the surface the deal is acceptable.

It was a nice pass that lead to a goal. They way people talk you would think he never passed to one of our players ever. He is fine in the role he does passing wise.

I know we wont get 45M for him, I want him to stay! 30M gets your a Tom Cleverley standard player these days. Its not much at all.

Not seeing the body language thing at all, but we seem to have become experts on things like that lately (Walcott not caring, Pickford being arrogant etc).

Coleman is still of a decent standard for me, he is just not as good as he was currently.
Comfortably the most annoying things I read on this forum.

I would hold for the summer myself, throw an axe in the middle of the changing room and let Schnederlin, McCarthy and Davies fight it out.

McCarthy would win the fight but then get injured when leaving the changing room. Davies it is then as Schneiderlin was cowering in the bogs when the fight occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.