2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of whether we have Gueye or not, we're finishing between 7th - 10th. If we can get £30-£40m for him now, a 29yr old, id bite their hand off.

We've moaned year after year about holding onto players for too long to see their value diminish. £30m would get you a good Central Midfielder, and being honest, id trust Brands to sign a very good replacement who could potentially offer more than Gueye did.
Not sure why people think 7-10th is nailed on. Have you taken a look at our home fixtures? We'll be lucky to pick up another 10 PTS this season imo with the way we are playing. Without Gana that will be even harder.

Then come summer, if Gomes doesn't sign then we literally don't have a midfield.

So if we are getting a replacement for Gana, he better be very good.

Not sure why people think 7-10th is nailed on. Have you taken a look at our home fixtures? We'll be lucky to pick up another 10 PTS this season imo with the way we are playing. Without Gana that will be even harder.

Then come summer, if Gomes doesn't sign then we literally don't have a midfield.

So if we are getting a replacement for Gana, he better be very good.

100% agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish with less than 40 points. Thankfully I doubt we'll need more than 35 to be safe.

Would be smart business to sell an older player at an inflated value and bring in a younger one with large re-sale value. That could be a 50-60 mill pound decision for Everton. 30-40 mill for a player with a book value of about 3 mill, then we could replace with a player who may do a Richarlison and double in value.

No if we sell him and get no one in now and force to play Davies.

Bottom line, whereas ridding ourselves of Barkley was addition by subtraction, losing Gana would be subtraction by subtraction, unless we have a capable guy to come straight into the team, or buy one.

I'm not sure we have either of those scenarios

losing gana who is number one in the league for tackles I believe , would be a kamikaze move.

people on here are saying the defence is good but it has no cover from the midfield.

lets take the leagues best tackler out of the equation and replace him with tom davies.

no joke, if you thought we might be in any sort of trouble now then it would be ten fold in a few weeks time.

what is going on at this club

Thing is as well, Silva isn't using a 4-3-3. I honestly think the players we have currently could play it. Maybe not exactly brilliantly every game, but Gyfli-Gana-Gomes, to me, could play as a flat three.
I've been arguing this for a while.
It would seem the obvious solution to have Gylfi deeper.
He's got the speed to get up the field and like all good box to boxers, he's got the vision to find and move into the right space and the skills to do the damage. Overall these attributes give the side extra dynamic in their attacking threat.

But its no use if we can't get the ball out of the back and its a justified argument Gylfi is not good enough in tight spaces to receive the ball centrally under pressure.
The obvious alternatives are:
- to go Leceister on it and play more long balls from Pickford and press - you don't need a 3 man midfield for this, you can use a flat four with compressed space between the lines (sacchi's 25yard rule).
- or replace Gylfi with a better player on the ball in tight spaces, with Bernard looking like the best options.

3 basic options that would all work better than what we have now.

Regardless of formation, we can't keep the ball. Our biggest problem is decision making with the ball and general ball retension. Contrary to some opinions, Gana is good at keeping the ball. We are only AVERAGE at winning the ball back, because Gana is literally the best at it in the league and one of the best on the planet. So buying players that make good decisions and can control the ball would be ideal. At the DM position AND frankly, the CM position, we need to have more athleticism and defensive either positioning or ability to win the ball back because without Gana - well, we say the Tottenham and Man City games. We lose Gana we may become the WORST at getting the ball back in the PL. The other teams can do basically whatever they way with the ball. It'd be worse than when Barry played and the other team could just do whatever they wanted in central midfield. Mix that in with a team that already can't take care of the ball and we'd just get smoked every week.

Silva is using his 4-3-3, but he is certainly adapting to his personnel as best he can. He has almost no CM/DM options, so he's pretty limited tactically. He said from day one that his preferred system varies depending on the type of player he has in his #6 role. Now he specifically cited Morgan Schneiderlin as his anchor man type (think Carvalho at Sporting), however I think Silva has realized pretty quickly that he isn't good enough. He has played 5 in the back at one point, but that's about it. It's been Siggy at 10, Gomes at 8, and Gana at 6.

Ideally, with this team's inability to control and keep the ball when attacking with width, Silva would I THINK rather play with 2 DMs/CMs behind a pivot/distributor that maybe sits a bit deeper than a 10, but can get into the box and score. Siggy absolutely can play that position. It doesn't require ball retention, it requires quick distribution to the wide forwards or #9, assuming they can hold the ball (they currently can't). Gomes could probably play that position. But Gana is literally the only DM we have. Beni maybe, McCarthy (maybe / doubtful), and definitely not Morgan (way too unathletic) or Davies (positionally clueless). So to me, Siggy isn't the issue with that formation, the lack of DMs is.

Wilmar Barrios would be the type of 6 in that 4-3-3 (really a 4-2-1-3), but that's a big jump in level. Gana sitting next to him would be a change, but if he goes...I mean, we are hosed. Just hosed. We'd need 2 CMs/DMs and better hope that they can collectively improve our ability to control the ball and not completely leave us with NO ability to win the ball back.

None of them spot danger. We will be thumped regularly by the big teams at home we have coming up.

I agree. We are getting thumped by both big and little teams so I can’t see why we would sell our best defensive midfielder. I don’t believe we need to sell to buy from a financial point of view, but If Gueye is sold then we clearly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.