2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he have the highest pass completion percentage of anyone on our team? Seems to me he's quite good at passing to our players.

Finding goalkeepers and centre halves with back passes certainly isn't that tricky.

He tried one tricky diagonal on Saturday. Actually it was pretty straightforward to Digne. 15 yards of margin. But it sailed out for a goal kick.

Stats are good. But eyes will always beat stats. The only stats worth mentioning are those that effect the outcome of matches.

Finding goalkeepers and centre halves with back passes certainly isn't that tricky.

He tried one tricky diagonal on Saturday. Actually it was pretty straightforward to Digne. 15 yards of margin. But it sailed out for a goal kick.

Stats are good. But eyes will always beat stats. The only stats worth mentioning are those that effect the outcome of matches.
Now you are making a different argument. I've got eyes, too, and the stats magically agree with me. He is not an expansive passer, but he does keep the ball fairly well. He doesn't give it away - that's pure myth. And he's amazing at winning it back.

He's a very good defensive mid playing in a team that can't keep the ball. Not impossible to replace, but we don't have anyone in house, that's for certain, and in this team, he's critical.

Funny, but didn't someone with an opta license indicate he had a lot of forward passes?

Guess it depends on how good your eyes are.

You have to put yourselves in the lads shoes.

If I was Gueye and I was being offered a mind bogglingly attractive way out of this s&^% show and we blocked it for the sake of securing mid table mediocrity, I would be utterly furious. And for that reason, keeping him would be counter-productive. Can we give Baningime a run?

Now you are making a different argument. I've got eyes, too, and the stats magically agree with me. He is not an expansive passer, but he does keep the ball fairly well. He doesn't give it away - that's pure myth. And he's amazing at winning it back.

He's a very good defensive mid playing in a team that can't keep the ball. Not impossible to replace, but we don't have anyone in house, that's for certain, and in this team, he's critical.

Funny, but didn't someone with an opta license indicate he had a lot of forward passes?

Guess it depends on how good your eyes are.
It's not a myth. He gives it away or plays negative nothing passes which put others under pressure. He doesn't pass the ball positively. Because he can't.

You can keep saying it's a myth all you like but it changes nothing. We won't play decent football until we overhaul our entire midfield, and that includes Gueye.

Also, my eyes are fine. They also allow me to recognise half arsed performances like over the last month. And instances where he was 10 yards away from the danger when he should be defending a last minute free kick like his life depends on it.

Does he have the highest pass completion percentage of anyone on our team? Seems to me he's quite good at passing to our players.

I like the fella, but passing deffo isn`t his strong point.

If he played in a decent team of ball players and all he had to to was break up play and put the opposition midfield under pressure, he`d be a great addition to that team.

" Kante light ".

Maybe he`ll thrive at PSG, as he won`t be required to do anything other than break up play ?

It's not a myth. He gives it away or plays negative nothing passes which put others under pressure. He doesn't pass the ball positively. Because he can't.

You can keep saying it's a myth all you like but it changes nothing. We won't play decent football until we overhaul our entire midfield, and that includes Gueye.

Also, my eyes are fine. They also allow me to recognise half arsed performances like over the last month. And instances where he was 10 yards away from the danger when he should be defending a last minute free kick like his life depends on it.

Nah he is right, it is absolutely a myth.

An article about him from my favourite football blog; some statisticians who sell their services to various football clubs.

To give them some credibility;

The person who owns it was employed by Brentford for 5 years who oversaw a lot of signings that they sold on for profit.
Also use stats to win the Danish Superliga with an unfancied club whose name I can't spell... FC Midysnadsland or something like that. (5years ago)
They wrote an article before Salah moved to Liverpool on how he would be the signing of the season
Wrote an article about an 18 Mbappe how £90million would be value for money before he moved to PSG
Wrote an article on Naby Keita 5 years ago when he was Red Bull Salzburg on how Arsenal should buy him as he is exactly what they need.

A lot of good back catalogue articles there for people to go over if they want to learn more about football.

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/idrissa-gueye-powers-evertons-surprising-defense/

Hence the 6-2 defeat to Tottenham I guess.

As I mentioned in other threads, they also say that any club who spends £20million+ on Andre Gomes is getting ripped off.

Why is a Millwall fan telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing?

I like the fella, but passing deffo isn`t his strong point.

If he played in a decent team of ball players and all he had to to was break up play and put the opposition midfield under pressure, he`d be a great addition to that team.

" Kante light ".

Maybe he`ll thrive at PSG, as he won`t be required to do anything other than break up play ?

are you saying neymar and mbappe are better than siggurddsson and DCL?????!!?

Probably feeling guilty. I notice he started his opening sentence with 'made up with the win'. Clearly a piss take.

he keeps hanging around telling us how we waste money, as if we don't know ffs,I mean Millwall of all supporters, nobody likes them and they don't care muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back