2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality player, such a shame he's 29 wish he was younger and we had a good few seasons of him as we build this team as we'll struggle to find a good replacement who does the things he does.

Was superb even after taking an early yellow, and one he took for the team at that

And more importantly he also seemed to compliment Gomes really well

The thing is I never worried about him being on a yellow. He is able to control his aggression very well.

Whats clear is playing with Schneiderlin does little for him. His game is tackling and intercepting the opposition and ticking the ball over safely. He's very good at this, arguably as good as anyone in the league. Whether it's Davies, Mccarthy and now Gomes who have more movement infront of him he is able to produce his best displays.

The partnership with Gomes looked the most balanced we’ve had in ages. Gueye is great when he does exactly what he did today. Playing him with Schneiderlin is horrific though.

Quality player, such a shame he's 29 wish he was younger and we had a good few seasons of him as we build this team as we'll struggle to find a good replacement who does the things he does.

Tyler Adams is my dream Gana replacement in 2-3 seasons. Most likely headed to Leipzig (currently plays for NY Red Bull’s) in the winter though, so I doubt they’d ever sell him to us.

The people who think we need to replace him right now are absolutely mad. He was fantastic today and he remains the single player we can't afford to lose.

So much better as the deepest midfielder breaking things up and moving it on quickly.
Using his strengths better and allowing more talented players to have the ball furthar up the field

The thing is I never worried about him being on a yellow. He is able to control his aggression very well.

Whats clear is playing with Schneiderlin does little for him. His game is tackling and intercepting the opposition and ticking the ball over safely. He's very good at this, arguably as good as anyone in the league. Whether it's Davies, Mccarthy and now Gomes who have more movement infront of him he is able to produce his best displays.

It's not just Schneiderlin, it is having any type of player next to him that is as similarly limited as he is in carrying the ball forward and playing attacking passes with intent regularly. Davies and McCarthy are in the same bracket as Schneiderlin for that in my opinion as both can be effective in what they do but don't have the ability to play 25-30 yard balls or to carry it forward and play incisive passes. With Gomes yesterday we had that. Gareth Barry was that type of player too.

Gana is 2nd to Kante in the whole league in that position for me, and hopefully Gomes will be the player who can allow him to get on with doing what he does best, without unrealistic expectations placed on him and we see more of the Gana from his first few months here. Been great in the last 2 home games.

Looked great having someone who’ll pass the ball forward next to him instead of that crab Schneiderlin. His passing isn’t the best, so being able to drop it off and have Gomes bring it forward could be perfect. His off the ball stuff yesterday was second to none, as it often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back