• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What i like about Kev so far is value, if you look at the deals hes sniffing them out and taking advantage - i know a ball hasnt been kicked yet and time will tell wheather they are good deals but they look value - JT on a free, McNeill for £15 up front, when we were quoted north of 40 mill last year, Vinagre - minimum cost and Idrissa for nominal stuff. He is scoping contracts, finding low hanging fruit and brining a full basket home for very little cost for what seems players of a profile of the right fit.

Its interesting looking at the MGW situation as catcher says - he smells a deal - currently we dont have a bite, we may even walk away until the winter or next summer when the tension raises more for Wolves given his contract situation, i like it, we're not being taken for mugs anymore. I suspect it might be similar with Cornet to.

Its going to be very interesting to see how other deals play out. But we've done 4 deals for 15 odd million so far, we've added a bit to the wage bill, but we've lost a fair bit to and we arent destroying our wage structure on madcap deals.

Brands did it a bit, but Thelwell seems even more so, and happy to move to different targets.

Pressure really starts to build as you go through August, and you do need a calm head. I expect there's more to run with that. Unlesssomebody comes in and pays Wolves 30m I expect we will leverage position.

It seems like a lot of ou deals are two fold, 1) try and agree a fee, 2) agree payment schedule. It may well be, that come late August, Wolves may take a 25m deal, buy where it previouslycould have been 20m with 5m in addons and 10m initial fee. We say we will give you 15m in guarenteed payments, 10m in add ons and maybe only commit to 4-5m up front.

Likewise with Chelsea-and I'm not saying we do this- but there is probably going to be very favourable terms for players not in the squad. Someone like Gilmour could become availablefor maybe 10m, with 3m down initial and the rest spread. Barkley might on the basis of us saying we will pay him 60k per weel and you make up the rest. Once you start accepting you are not going after teams premium players you can make the money stretch a lot further. Even that Onana at Lille may be returned too.

I know it doesn't work like that, but crudely I reckon we will get 6 or 7 lads in for the 50m+ down payment we got for Richarlison.

I've seen him have some truly embarrassing performances in the Champions League since leaving, but there was also one knock-out game where he was like Roy Keane vs Juventus, so I'm curious to see how he gets on if he does come back.

As I've said before, I thought he was decent enough here, if comically overrated by some. Can't be any worse than the clowns he'll be replacing anyway.

I must admit that is the biggest reason for me. Not the greatest reason admittingly.

QUOTE="Sheedy's right knee., post: 9836895, member: 25713"]
I’m more positive now than I was a week ago. If we buy Gueye and get a Backup CF I would be satisfied. You don’t build Rome in a Day.
[/QUOTE/]

That is correct but we are also very far from Rome , we are more like Blackpool. Probably couldn't build Blackpool in a day either

I agree with this mate.

Im not expecting anything more or less then what hes always done and im ok with that really - im not expecting him to start spraying 40 yarders out to the flank, im expecting solidity, pressing, closng down, anchoring and balancing the midfield.. He was great for us and a good player, hes not infallible though either and he had a few bad games for us to i remember, i remember one up in Newcastle where he got totally over ran and we lost 3-2 or something after being 2 up - if my memory is right.

We need a player like him and he improves us without question, we've spent about 200 mill on center midfielders since he left and never really replaced him, which is damning really but i think we will get what he always has been and thats a good thing.
Good shout mate.
I remember his stats being up there with Kante before he was signed from Villa

Gareth Barry came in late in his career and was great for a couple of seasons. Gana not technically as good as Barry by any means, but can still be valuable.

And lets not kid ourselves. He walks into our midfield in front of the rest of them

Indubitably;

Though It's in the nature of his efficiency that his stats will always be high - in a relegated Villa team he was 2nd only to The better a team Gana plays in the better...and his stats will show it...he will play.

At the moment, we are not that better team.
He will help  Stem the tide against us and he wont be the worst signing ever - but on his own he will not Turn the tide.
Didnt say on his own mate.

Is he an immediate upgrade on our midfield ....Yes
Does the deal suit the club...Yes
Will he need better players around him...Yes

Its a much needed quality player right in the engine room , that wont need bedding in & wont ruin the budget.
IMO.

I had to laugh at the football tactician thing. I'm the same. Never played the game to any high level but I think I have a grasp on the basics required. What is a total blind spot to me are tactics. I recognize the high wing backs we are attempting to play, long ball tactics and tiki taka or whatever it's called. However, I could watch a team play football all day every day and not recognise a double pivot, single pivot, a false nine or a diamond formation.
Whenever I hear the word “pivot”, I instantly just start thinking about trying to get a sofa up a flight of stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.