Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the basic things very very well.

Hunts the balls, wins it, gives it to a forward player who can pick a pass.

Just what we need.

Agreed !
Watched him for the first time yesterday and thought that it was a very steady performance - as you said did the basics very well.

Looks quite promising.

Little more than a stop gap and will be in the starting XI for 1-2 years max.

Seriously? He is superb at what he does, breaking down play and keeping possession. His constant movement also creates so much space for others to get on the ball. There isn't many better at his specific role in the EPL, if any, and it's a massively important role in modern football. He is either going to be a long term fixture in our team or will move for a massive profit.

(Mate is a massive villa fan and raved about him so I've watched a fair bit of him, opinion not based on two game)

From the limited amount I've seen of him, he seems more than comfortable with the ball at his feet and doesn't seem frightened to go forward when the opportunity arises - something that McCarthy always seemed reluctant to do

Too early to be shouting Makagueyele but he's done really well so far

Gonna give him more than 180 minutes before calling him a boss signing though if that's okay?

Keeps this up for an entire season and the Kante comparisions people made off stats etc won't seem so far fetched

You can see exactly why he's compared to Kante in the way he plays and protects.

Been my MOTM so far in both games. Just seems to be near the ball at all times waiting to stick his foot in and unsettle the player with the ball.

--

Easy to forget that McCarthtit looked a player in the first season. Now been found out for the lack of footballer he is.

Last edited:

Only 2 competitive games in so its difficult to give a full assessment but on the evidence of his 2 games so far then its a thumbs up. If he is consistent all season then we have a super bargain. He is all over the pitch snapping away and stopping the opposition doing any damage yet with the ball he is skilful and finds the pass.. I like him and has already increased the proficiency of our midfield and protects the back 4/3 very well.

You can see exactly why he's compared to Kante in the way he plays and protects.

Been my MOTM so far in both games. Just seems to be near the ball at all times waiting to stick his foot in and unsettle the player with the ball.

--

Easy to forget that McCarthtit looked a player in the first season. Now been found out for the lack of footballer he is.

Thing besides what you said about Gana, that I like though is he seems to have the natural instinct to try get it forward rather than going safe, at early doors anyway looks to be a bloody brilliant buy.

Thing besides what you said about Gana, that I like though is he seems to have the natural instinct to try get it forward rather than going safe, at early doors anyway looks to be a bloody brilliant buy.

think #going safe' has been McCarthy's issue and potentially that's from 6 years under RM's coaching as well...

McCarthy definitely lost a yard of pace after that string of injuries. Still think there's a chance he'd be sold if a 'big' offer came in, but equally I think Koeman likes him and will keep him - but will just want more from him.

Gana looks class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back