Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're kind of right, but every team need a nuisance in front of defence at the moment and he's been the best in the league a long with Kante at the moment in doing this.

The game will change again in a season or two and may require someone more technical - which Schniederlen and Davies may offer.

Hell, how many centre-mid defensive backs do we have? Morgan, Tom, Barry, Besic, Macca, Gibbo, Cleverley.. are we just the PL repository for unwanted Greater Manchester defensive midfielders (5 of the 7)?

Gueye needs to learn to shoot, like. He gets into so many great positions, then completely wastes every chance that comes his way.

Don't get me wrong I think he's brilliant in midfield and has been out standout player this season, but having him waste so many chances does my head in!

Gana was our saviour for the first half of the year.

Now we win a few games and he's not guaranteed in the starting XI?

Good god, let's look at the big picture here. Gana/Schneids in midfield when he comes back is going to be boss. Tom Davies as a sub or in games where we want to pack the midfield tactically.

Christ

Good god, let's look at the big picture here. Gana/Schneids in midfield when he comes back is going to be boss. Tom Davies as a sub or in games where we want to pack the midfield tactically.

Christ

0f5f722df0fc19c53a6ed50b84694269.jpg

What mate? This better be important like, I was having a nice bit of humus and playing Minesweeper there before you distracted me

Christ

Absolutely this. Gana is literally one of our best players and he walks in our starting XI. Turn in the criticism for criticism's sake lids.

Christ

Dropping players in form is not good for the football, but okay.

If someones form drops then they lose their place, that's football.

Gana is the first man in my midfield when he's available. He's an absolute dynamo defensively. We just need to pair him with someone who can take the ball from him and key our attack.

I would put Davies in there currently based on form. He still has work to do with regards to tackling and defense but his all around game and aggressive dribbling and passing has really helped.

Schneiderlin doesn't look quite in match form yet. He's been riding the bench for a long time. There's nothing wrong with easing him back into the game.

Barry would be a spot start or tactical change for me.

I'm not sure why we still have McCarthy and Gibson. Besic will probably be surplus when he gets back. We definitely needed to revamp our midfield but there's no doubt that it's getting a bit bloated.

No one is criticising Gana here - nobody with their head screwed on properly would - but dropping arguably our best player right now in Davies would be a silly decision even if Gana has been our best player overall this season - we have a winning team at the moment, let's stick with it until we stop winning.

Dropping players in form is not good for the football, but okay.

If someones form drops then they lose their place, that's football.
Yeah, sort of like how if Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ronaldo, Bale etc came back from injury, suspension or another tournament they have to cool their heels on the bench for a few weeks until someone else loses form.

Gueye has been your best player by the length of the English Channel and back, and then you get to Lukaku.

Given your approach, I assume that if Lukaku was at AFCON and came back after Kone popped in a couple of goals in Everton victories whilst Lukaku was away, he'd have to cool his heels on the bench for a few weeks until Kone lost form?

Why would Gana come in for Davies? Surely he'd come in for Barry who has been starting, or if not, Schneiderlin?Schneiderlin has to prove he is worthy of a starting place which I am sure he will soon enough and there will be games where Koeman will favour both Gana and Schneiderlin which may see Davies rested, given his age. It also wouldn't surrpise me to see Koeman put Barkley on the bench on occasions when we're playing the better sides with Davies in with those two to pack the midfield and keep possession.

As @bluestevon rightly says, he'll have to be eased back in upon his return, or we just risk injury.

Unless we're desperate, he'll have one or two games from the bench I reckon before starting.

Fully fit, and playing the same system that we are, he probably comes in for Davies, but that's inter-changeable and depends on the game. Still gonna be a few weeks before Morgs is up to full speed as well.

Why's he not going to be fit if he's been playing for Senegal mate?

He'll be back in.

And our midfield options are just proper boss at the moment aren't they.

Schneiderlin, Gueye, Davies, Barkley, McCarthy, Barry, Besic.

I don't want him to be sold, but given that list I can see McCarthy going this window if a big offer comes in. It might be different if we were in the cups, but...

Why's he not going to be fit if he's been playing for Senegal mate?

Didn't say he wasn't going to be fit.

But before he went you could see the signs that even he was flagging a bit - probably from having to carry our midfield for five months mind.

So, if there's no huge rush, I don't think he'll be forced back in. It may just be one game that he gets given a breather for.

He's playing on crap pitches, in humid conditions, and if he comes straight back into the Prem pace from playing at the pace of the AFCON we're asking for an injury.

He'll be back in quickly enough, and rightly so, but given the form of Davies, Barkley, Barry even McCarthy etc, it gives us a bit more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back