Confirmed Signing Iliman Ndiaye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agh, got ya. Makes more sense 👍
And I’ve just looked, our transfers over £20m are pretty appalling generally.

(Ignore James as he didn’t cost £22m).

But I’d argue 5 maybe 6 at most could be deemed successful and not disappointing (and some would argue with me about a few of them).

IMG_3398.webp

But I’d argue 5 maybe 6 at most could be deemed successful and not disappointing (and some would argue with me about a few of them).

View attachment 262959
This is what i've been trying to push a fair bit the last 18 months.
Over the whole Premier League, it is littered with £20m-£30m 'meh' footballers
You risk so much less in terms of investing in an £6m - £12m footballer than you do in the other bracket and the quality gap doesn't warrant almost double the fee.

Unless your prepared to pay for guaranteed quality which is usually the £60m-£100m mark,, those £20-£30m transfers are pretty pointelss.
I'd probably say that tier has raised to the £30-£40m mark with the likes of those Anderson/Gray/multitude of Chelsea signings

Example Tommy Doyle will be joining Wolves for £4.3m
In the last couple of days 2 young midfielders have gone for £35m & £40m....who is getting better value?

I don’t think they meant £20m or lower.

I think they meant fees around £20m -£30m where the expectation is they should be good as they are costing that much but have usually ended up being disappointing.

Players like Gomes, Keane, Bolasie and Mina and Godfrey etc.

All trivial to me, this. Especially when Son cost £22m, Suarez cost £22m, van Persie cost £22m, Pickford cost £25m, etc. There's gems out there amongst the tat within those price ranges. Being borderline superstitious over a certain price range doesn't seem rational to me.

View attachment 262959
It’s just not a viable strategy to spend big on well known players. We have to go young and develop, preferably on smaller fees a majority of the time.

All trivial to me, this. Especially when Son cost £22m, Suarez cost £22m, van Persie cost £22m, Pickford cost £25m, etc. There's gems out there amongst the tat within those price ranges. Being borderline superstitious over a certain price range doesn't seem rational to me.
I agree, we have made some fantastic signings within that range as well.

However our revenue is poor compared to those teams that signed the players you have mentioned. And at the time of that list (Jan 23) we have made more signings over that price then the likes or Arsenal and spurs and only 2 less than Liverpool. (With only United, city and Chelsea on more).

We have used it incredibly poorly.

Depends how far back you want to go my son.
You could get Maradona for £3m, Ruud Gullit for £6m or Johan Cruyff for a bargain £900,000.

God bless.

This is what i've been trying to push a fair bit the last 18 months.
Over the whole Premier League, it is littered with £20m-£30m 'meh' footballers
You risk so much less in terms of investing in an £6m - £12m footballer than you do in the other bracket and the quality gap doesn't warrant almost double the fee.

Unless your prepared to pay for guaranteed quality which is usually the £60m-£100m mark,, those £20-£30m transfers are pretty pointelss.
I'd probably say that tier has raised to the £30-£40m mark with the likes of those Anderson/Gray/multitude of Chelsea signings

Example Tommy Doyle will be joining Wolves for £4.3m
In the last couple of days 2 young midfielders have gone for £35m & £40m....who is getting better value?
But when the top bracket of players cost 100 mil then its relative isn't it because that means you sort of expect 'meh' for 20 mil. Like Ndiaye for example I don't expect him to be one of the best attacking players in the league because thats not what you get for that sort of price but if he's an improvement on what we've got now and offers us something different then he's still a good signing even if he's a bit 'meh' when compared to the very best players in the world.

you wouldn’t get a player as good as them for that price now

But when the top bracket of players cost 100 mil then its relative isn't it because that means you sort of expect 'meh' for 20 mil. Like Ndiaye for example I don't expect him to be one of the best attacking players in the league because thats not what you get for that sort of price but if he's an improvement on what we've got now and offers us something different then he's still a good signing even if he's a bit 'meh' when compared to the very best players in the world.

tim cahill mate - tim cahill ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back