2017/18 James McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only score when you have the ball, so you either wait for the opposition to balls things up ( which is a decent enough plan against ordinary teams ), or you actively do something to get the ball off them. One of those things is called a tackle, something McCarthy is actually quite good at. He's not the best once he's won the ball, but if someone else in midfield can do the fancy stuff, then you start to have a balanced midfield.

His lack of fitness is a good reason to sell him, but, if he was fit for 80% of our games, he'd be really useful to have around. As he's not likely to be fit, the chances of someone giving us any meaningful amount of cash for him are pretty low.

Not particularly aimed at you, but the whole "Sell" thing at the end of a post for any player someone doesn't like, shows a lack of maturity, and it's disappointing to see that @ToffeeTim's catchphrase is being taken up by other members of his generation.
Honestly though Woolly, how many good games has he had since that first year?

I'm sorry but he isn't better than what we have already around the team, despite his putting in a few good tackles today. He's shown that over the last three years. Even when he has been fit he hasn't gotten into this team on merit and he isn't what this team needs.

I'd happily see him sold and have the funds reinvested in someone who can possibly make a difference for this team when we're in possession rather than the known quantity of McCarthy.

Very happy he did well today. Appreciated his kicking Mata, too. Maybe it can sucker someone into paying money for him so we can sign N'Zonzi or Seri or someone else.

I'm sorry but he isn't better than what we have already around the team, despite his putting in a few good tackles today. He's shown that over the last three years. Even when he has been fit he hasn't gotten into this team on merit and he isn't what this team needs.

I'd happily see him sold and have the funds reinvested in someone who can possibly make a difference for this team when we're in possession rather than the known quantity of McCarthy.

The simple fact is that large elements of our support prioritise effort and running over quality and craft.

Our issues are not effort, passion, commitment or whatever other cliché you want to use. Our issue in midfield is a complete lack of quality. To play effective attacking football you must have a pivot, ie someone who plays the ball forwards be it to feet or into the channel. We had Barry who was OK but lacked mobility, but in truth we are still suffering from having never replaced Arteta. That's how long we've not sorted the issue. If we play a 2 man midfield we need a high presser who tries to win ball and get in the box late and then a pivot who sits deep and plays effective forward passes. None of Schneiderlin gueye Mccarthy Davies offer the craft or distribution required to be effective at this level. Mccarthy is a regular sicknote but still a reasonably valuable asset so it would be sensible to sell him and reinvest in a player with good distribution skills.

when fully fit he is a superior midfielder to gueye, never fully fit like so I wouldn't be against selling him

Shut up he was an integral part in the best Everton team in a generation

Just hasn't been fit since

Oh I remember it well. He was great. Wish we had a player like Gana instead.

They still finished 5th. Like they did several times with Moyes. Moyes had us 4th, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back