2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't happy about the other day. Thought the least that could have happened was for him to be on the bench even in the Mbappe-type situation that he was never gonna play but it's for the fans.

But this 'bin him off' stuff is stupid, ffs. He's by far our best player. But he can't stay fit. We know that, he knows that. He played 8 times in 16 months for Madrid last season, and has managed 26 games - 24 of them starts - this season for us. With the onus being on him entirely to be our creative fulcrum and that is where our issue stems from. There is no way we should have brought him in to be so reliant on a player who can't stay fit.

It is frustrating, but we need him here next season because if not we'll be crying out for that quality when we've got a right-back who can run and stay fit, a winger who can actually do what a winger is meant to do, hopefully a midfielder who can run with the ball etc.

We've got the cherry but a cake which is half crumbled.

This is the full quote

James unfortunately is not available for the game. He didn’t recover from the problem on his calf. Unfortunately he didn’t finish well this season. Now he will be focused on the Copa America with the national team, I hope to have him fit next season. Also Coleman had a problem against Wolves, he will not be available for the game but he will support the team as a captain.

He was then asked if the Copa America was on James' mind in the last few weeks, but he said...

I think the Copa America is in his mind. James unfortunately in the last period, he was not fit, he had a little problem that did not give him the possibility to play regularly. Now of course he has to be focused for the Copa America because he wants to play for his country. All of the players will be focused on the national team, is normal. James was really disappointed for the fact that he was not able to help the team in this period, really sad. What can he do? He has to be ready for when the season starts and try to avoid the same problem.

I still don't like it.

The tiredness thing makes no sense. If the injury is such a persistent problem that he can't even be available for 20 mins as a sub, then we have to make a decision on him. I don't know the medical issues, but they are an obvious problem.

Can we afford to carry a player with these sort of issues? Only if we can improve the rest of the squad and help mitigate the problem would be my opinion.

Why not stick him on the bench instead of a second keeper. Not play him. Takes the heat off.resores blood to angry penises.

I still don't like it.

The tiredness thing makes no sense. If the injury is such a persistent problem that he can't even be available for 20 mins as a sub, then we have to make a decision on him. I don't know the medical issues, but they are an obvious problem.

Can we afford to carry a player with these sort of issues? Only if we can improve the rest of the squad and help mitigate the problem would be my opinion.

I've gone and missed out something too, hang on.

"He has it in his mind, but only when the season finished. Now of course he has to be focused for the Copa America. But to say that James was focused on the Copa America before? No. He was really disappointed..."

Not saying it's not frustrating, not one bit. Just want people to have the full quote.

Yes, the point is we do need players to improve the quality of the squad, and give us a way of playing that isn't entirely dependent on one player - who has a long-standing issue - to stay fit.

Everyone saying they expect 20-25 games a season out of James and are content with that baffles me. If we get Europe you add a minimum of 6 extra games a season. We need to buy someone else, this guy is past it professionally. Colombia - Calves - Everton . In that order.

Everyone saying they expect 20-25 games a season out of James and are content with that baffles me. If we get Europe you add a minimum of 6 extra games a season. We need to buy someone else, this guy is past it professionally. Colombia - Calves - Everton . In that order.

FFS.

We clearly need better players. But that doesn't mean we replace our best player. We need to ADD to it.

Adding to it in turn means we are not so reliant on a player that can only play 25 games a season (he's actually played 26 this year).

Only 13 players in the league have created more big chances than James this year, and he's played 23 league games.

For reference, here's the amount of league games he's played over the last few seasons

2020-21, Everton - 23
2019-20, Madrid - 8
2018-19, Bayern - 20
2017-18, Bayern - 23
2016-17, Madrid - 22
2015-16, Madrid - 26
2014-15, Madrid - 29

Status
Not open for further replies.