2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I think deep down they know he cant and wont fit into the way this manager wants to play.

It's a situation that can only be resolbved by a move for James.

We cant afford a player like him casting a shadow over our season. I think we need to get to 40 odd points ASAP and hope that next summer's transfer is much more well thought out than this one just closed. We cant be mithering with some player who may or may not decide to play form one week to the next.
No, we're saying a manager needs to have more than one way of playing.

We're also anticipating that will take time so while a player of James' quality is here you don't actively look to move him on when the club can't replace him.

So he should stay, be part of the squad until January, and then we can reassess in that window.

This is about Everton not weakening themselves.

But I think deep down they know he cant and wont fit into the way this manager wants to play.

It's a situation that can only be resolbved by a move for James.

We cant afford a player like him casting a shadow over our season. I think we need to get to 40 odd points ASAP and hope that next summer's transfer is much more well thought out than this one just closed. We cant be mithering with some player who may or may not decide to play form one week to the next.
We're not going down lol

I kind of agreed that we should move James before the window shut. Now that we can't and haven't brought anyone in I'd rather we didn't. But the justification being we desperately need 40 points ruins the whole argument.

No, we're saying a manager needs to have more than one way of playing.

We're also anticipating that will take time so while a player of James' quality is here you don't actively look to move him on when the club can't replace him.

So he should stay, be part of the squad until January, and then we can reassess in that window.

This is about Everton not weakening themselves.
Your assumption is that we only have one way to play, but can we really say that? I mean it's too early, and I have not analyzed the matches in detail, have you? What exactly are you thinking about?

Another one missing the point

Not one person on here disputes how good James is..... Not one person. He is undoubted quality.

Those who aren't bothered if he leaves have genuine concerns over his commitment to the club - not his ability. He has more talent than all the names you mention and in any normal circumstances would be first name on the team sheets.

The fact is there are credible doubts to how he fits our club at this time.

We have absolutely no capacity to carry anyone who isn't onboard fully. Other clubs do to a certain extent but we need 11 players working together on a shape that Rafael is implementing..... He doesn't think James will do that and neither do I. Once you have one player not getting in position or doing his work off the ball then the shape has gone.
I think it's actually you missing the point.

I don't think there's a single person in here who believes for one moment that James will be here after this season runs out. We do have a 1 year option on him but it's absolutely inconceivable at this time that the club will exercise it.

I don't think there's a single person in here who thinks we will build a team around him this year or even thinks he will be a regular starter. I think the majority of us believe that he won't fit like a glove into the managers tactics and that, at best, he will be playing a bit part this season.

And from what I've seen from the majority of posts in here, although many of us think the world of James even so far as he's one of the most talented footballers ever to wear our shirt, for the reasons outlined above we nearly all believed it was for the best for the club and the player if he moved on during the window, provided that he was replaced in the squad as a creative player.

The thing is, that didn't happen. The transfer window was a mixed bag and we ended it with a squad low in numbers (and arguably quality) in certain areas and the forward area is one of them. As I said, without James we have 6 covering 4 positions, one of them has never played for us before and is coming from 2 seasons in a farmers league, two were bought in conceivably as squad cover, and a fourth would have been gladly punted from the squad by 99.9% of our fans before the season started. Just 2 injuries and we're then into the youth players.

The issue we're discussing is, if we sell James now, we are not in a position to replace him and the above scenario will exist. Even if he does go, it's inconceivable that we receive any fee or we'll be covering less than 50% of his wages, most probably significantly more. It's utter lunacy. But people like you actually want this to happen because of some belief that him staying would make the whole squad perform poorly. I've no idea where you get that notion from but it's never happened at any other squad he's been a member of. Plus, if James want's a career after this season, either top level domestic or International, he has to perform for us.

Your assumption is that we only have one way to play, but can we really say that? I mean it's too early, and I have not analyzed the matches in detail, have you? What exactly are you thinking about?
We've only played one way thus far but that is also largely because it has worked.

There will almost certainly be a point where it doesn't work and James is a great player to change that in a pinch. The problem is when you talk about starting James because imo that goes from tweaking how you play to trying to do an entirely different thing. Past that the thing you have to do to incorporate him is become a passing team and we have about one player capable of handling that. So for me there is question of should we even bother?

Burnley coming up is a good example. We're going to be encouraged to have the ball and so maybe trying to play with it and build slower would be a good option. That would mean playing James. But I wouldn't do that. Because I don't think the likely starters such as Doucoure, Richarlison and whoever is at RB will do well in that. Burnley will be able to pressure the right people and we'll have a lot of the ball to go nowhere. I'd still play a similar team and I'd still try to play quickly back to front. Maybe that won't work either but I'd take my chances and have James off the bench to try and swing it late instead.

Well I watched each match and when the onus is on us to control the ball for more than about 30 seconds we very much struggle.

It would be nice for us to have more attacking options that can pick those incisive passes into the likes of Gray, Rich and DCL

We have absolutely no capacity to carry anyone who isn't onboard fully. Other clubs do to a certain extent but we need 11 players working together on a shape that Rafael is implementing..... He doesn't think James will do that and neither do I. Once you have one player not getting in position or doing his work off the ball then the shape has gone.
Just on this point in particular, when 11 players working together in a certain shape isn't working in a particular game, do you expect him to carry on with the same shape and system, but just introduce different players, or do you want him to try something different.? And if he continues using the tried shape and system and the results start going against us because teams learn how to play against it, how long before you turn against him.?

Well I watched each match and when the onus is on us to control the ball for more than about 30 seconds we very much struggle.

It would be nice for us to have more attacking options that can pick those incisive passes into the likes of Gray, Rich and DCL
I don't think James fixes this part on his own. Which is why I'm not too keen on making a point of bringing him into the XI.

But we aint the manager mate! If James or anyone else isn't arsed whilst on the pitch its the manager who ultimately loses his job if results go bad not the players.

I hope he is used off the bench but if the manager doesn't trust him its his job security he ultimately has to think about not James or his fans.
Do you think the club would be right to sell him before the January window, given that we can't replace him.? If the answer is yes, can I ask why you believe that?

To be honest, given our squad strength is so poor in the forward areas I'm finding it hard to comprehend this.

It underlines how far we've sunk when a washed up player like him commands this level of interest.

The only interest in him from me is that The Defeated (as I now call the bed-sheet warriors) are seeing him as a flag of convenience under which they're staging a guerilla attack on the manager.
Hey James, anything to say to the super blues whose head you now reside in..

giphy.gif

For me, I'm all about - Making Everton Great Again. Those of us that know understand that to do this we need Rondon, Iwobi, Townsend, and Gordon to be starting or maybe it could be argued as our attacking option from the bench. The most important thing is that we take this great club back to its traditional position at the top.

It's like in golf. A lot of people - I don't want this to sound trivial but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive. It's weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can't sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist
Were you around when Everton were last great mate?

I miss that all conquering bunch of lazy mavericks under Howard Kendall.... The team that beat Bayern Munich with nothing but fancy footwork..... Then there's the last team to win a trophy, the dogs of war. They were called the dogs of war because they were pedigrees, showdogs, straight from the poodle parlour.

The likes of Gylfi, Delph, Schneiderlein, Gomes, James just wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes on the pitch. ...... Too aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back