Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distin was solid throughout his career at Everton and didn't sign until his early 30's. He still had pace and was largely injury free. You can't always make blanket assessments
Definitely shouldn’t rely on blanket assessments but nor should we be rationalising signings that appear bang average at best, because of that one cool thing that happened for us 13 years ago.

First two yards aren't in his head if he's sitting on the bench with a muscle strain mate. Part of it is players get bad as they age, part is they just don't play anymore because they start getting hurt more.

It's just a round number that shows a player who is used semi-regularly. You can pick a different number if you wish. I just use it because it is easy and round.

young players can get injured as well you know. How often is Van Dyke injured ? I mean before or after Pickford murdered him ? He has a good record injury to my knowledge, unlike the younger Yerry Mina. Oh and the first two yards are in his head, it's called experience. Please don't answer as I know like everyone else on this forum that you are always right...

young players can get injured as well you know. How often is Van Dyke injured ? I mean before or after Pickford murdered him ? He has a good record injury to my knowledge, unlike the younger Yerry Mina. Oh and the first two yards are in his head, it's called experience. Please don't answer as I know like everyone else on this forum that you are always right...
It's about what is most likely to happen.

Is it more likely a 22 year old lasts 38 PL matches or a 32 year old?

Were people excited by the signing of distin at the time?
Personally I remember being alright with it. We wanted a left-footer to replace Lescott and Distin was that, as well as being big, powerful and athletic. The only downside was his age but that was reflected in the low fee.

I don’t get as excited by Tarkowski’s physical attributes. He does win a lot of aerial duels and make a lot of clearances so there’s definitely the argument he could help us at set pieces, but he’s also slow and crap with the ball so we’re stuck defending deep with no reliable means of getting the ball forward quickly.

Signing Michael Keane’s replacement 6 years later on 100k a week? You have to be a sick individual to support this club. Anyway, time to get behind the guy and he surely can’t be worse than what we’ve got :confused:

Its not linear.

Which one has the most experience is though.
I'm just going to stop beating around the bush.

Experience is a rubbish argument and doesn't matter at all. That same as momentum doesn't matter.

The reason you can't win anything with a bunch of 22 year olds is some of the 22 year olds you think are good actually won't be not because they don't have any experience.

A team of the best u23s in the world would give City and the RS a run for their money but it is impossible to assemble that team. The problem is getting it right with who is and isn't actually good at that age, not experience.

Put it in the bin right next to momentum.

Signing Michael Keane’s replacement 6 years later on 100k a week? You have to be a sick individual to support this club. Anyway, time to get behind the guy and he surely can’t be worse than what we’ve got :confused:
He won't be if we keep playing deep.

But if we want to step up and try to play a bit higher we're literally playing the lottery here. He's never done that at this level. It could literally be anything.

It's about what is most likely to happen.

Is it more likely a 22 year old lasts 38 PL matches or a 32 year old?

Depends whether they play for Everton or not, I mean James Milner.... He's a damn sight older than 32.. Anyone can get injuries and I've given you a younger centre half, who plays for our club, with a much, much worse injury record than Tarkowski. Who you have now convinced yourself and forecast will have a muscle strain. Any numbers for the lottery this week Iggy ? You are now the forums in house clairvoyant, thanks in advance.

Distin was solid throughout his career at Everton and didn't sign until his early 30's. He still had pace and was largely injury free. You can't always make blanket assessments
Distin was injury free for years

Until he arrived here.

But was a great example of how a centre half at 30 isn't at the end of their career by a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.