2023/24 James Tarkowski

Tarks, Branthwaite and Stones should be Englands 1st choice centre backs. With Stones being a bit iffy fitness wise, our 2 should be starting. Especially when you consider the relationship they have with Englands No1 keeper. But it will be Stones and Maguire.
there is this push for the national team to be populated by the sly 6 favourite players but Branners and Tarks should be in front of Pickford. We have one of the most frugal defences in the league despite having a crap side and that is down, predominantly, to those three.

So, when you think of it we are the 5th best defence in the league

The other 4 are:
Arsenal: Saliba and Gabriel. French and Brazilian
Man City: Stones and Dias. English and Brazilian
Liverpool: vvd and konate. Dutch and French
Everton: Tarkowski and Branthwaite. English and English

So, among the 4 best defences in the league 3 are able to obviously play for England and 2 of them are from Everton. So, obviously Stones will start, but I think Tarki or Branthwaite should be the one starting next to him. Maguire has been good this year but come on if tarki played for man utd, and maguire played for us Tarkowski would start.

So, when you think of it we are the 5th best defence in the league

The other 4 are:
Arsenal: Saliba and Gabriel. French and Brazilian
Man City: Stones and Dias. English and Brazilian
Liverpool: vvd and konate. Dutch and French
Everton: Tarkowski and Branthwaite. English and English

So, among the 4 best defences in the league 3 are able to obviously play for England and 2 of them are from Everton. So, obviously Stones will start, but I think Tarki or Branthwaite should be the one starting next to him. Maguire has been good this year but come on if tarki played for man utd, and maguire played for us Tarkowski would start.
4th best...

Goals conceded: Arsenal (28), Man City (32), Liverpool (36), Everton (48)...Man United are next with 51 conceded.

Outstanding achievement and largely down to Pickford, Tarkowski & Branthwaite. If Southgate was a top manager he'd recognise this and have Tarkowski in the squad at least.

4th best...

Goals conceded: Arsenal (28), Man City (32), Liverpool (36), Everton (48)...Man United are next with 51 conceded.

Outstanding achievement and largely down to Pickford, Tarkowski & Branthwaite. If Southgate was a top manager he'd recognise this and have Tarkowski in the squad at least.
Ah ye 4th sorry my bad. I doubt he will even select branthwaite since he didn’t play in the friendlies.

I personally love these rather old-school no-nonsense defender. These are quite rare to see nowadays. Strong in the air in both boxes, fearless in blocking the ball, never compromises at tackling and ball recoveries, rather clears the ball than unneccessarily risk to force short passes or go into 1vs1 as last defender.

Also decent at long ball passing, short passing and pace are maybe the only flaws.

I personally love these rather old-school no-nonsense defender. These are quite rare to see nowadays. Strong in the air in both boxes, fearless in blocking the ball, never compromises at tackling and ball recoveries, rather clears the ball than unneccessarily risk to force short passes or go into 1vs1 as last defender.

Also decent at long ball passing, short passing and pace are maybe the only flaws.
Yup, nothing wrong with the old-school approach. You know things have gotten out of hand when even the goalkeepers are being picked because of their "feet" these days. That Raya at Arsenal is a bomb scare - good with his feet, apparently.

Yup, nothing wrong with the old-school approach. You know things have gotten out of hand when even the goalkeepers are being picked because of their "feet" these days. That Raya at Arsenal is a bomb scare - good with his feet, apparently.
I know that footballing abilities are very important for GK and defenders in the modern game.

You see that an Man United, De Gea one of the best GK in the world on the line, but by far not as good on the ball as Onana. Well Onana is doing well after a difficult start.

Pickford isn't Neuer on the ball, Tarkowski isn't Stones.

But both are among the best in the league when it comes to their main jobs, defending and shot stopping.

Rock solid defender, proper Everton CB and the best thing is he is never injured. he obviously takes good care of himself off the pitch, it's a fantastic attribute to have really, we need more robust players like Tarkowski. If Branthwaite can learn that sort of stuff it will stand him in good stead.

Massive upgrade on Keane and Holgate at CB this season and it has proven fruitful. Now to start scoring more and we'll be sound.

I know that footballing abilities are very important for GK and defenders in the modern game.

You see that an Man United, De Gea one of the best GK in the world on the line, but by far not as good on the ball as Onana. Well Onana is doing well after a difficult start.

Pickford isn't Neuer on the ball, Tarkowski isn't Stones.

But both are among the best in the league when it comes to their main jobs, defending and shot stopping.
Yes, but in the end the first priority is can a defender defend and can a goalkeeper shot stop and command. If he can't do the basics - and these are the basics - then being good with your feet is the emperor's new clothes or an ideological affectation. Style over substance.

I recently saw that wonder goal Son scored for Spurs vs Burnley about 5 years ago where he ran from the edge of his own box and spotted that he ran past both Tarkowski (and McNeil) lol

But that is a freak goal that very few players in the World can score. I assume part of the fear in selecting Tarkowski for England is him getting exposed like that against a top Nation, but it's not like a Harry Maguire would fare any better in that scenario.

Also, if the England side is as amazing as it's made out to be then the likes of Declan Rice should be protecting the centre backs from the World's best getting in that position, leaving the likes of Tarkowski to defend how he has for Everton all season. With Branthwaite along side him, there would be pace in the centre of defence anyway to make up for Tarkowski's lack of it, and he is so good with all the other attributes you mentioned.

I recently saw that wonder goal Son scored for Spurs vs Burnley about 5 years ago where he ran from the edge of his own box and spotted that he ran past both Tarkowski (and McNeil) lol

But that is a freak goal that very few players in the World can score. I assume part of the fear in selecting Tarkowski for England is him getting exposed like that against a top Nation, but it's not like a Harry Maguire would fare any better in that scenario.

Also, if the England side is as amazing as it's made out to be then the likes of Declan Rice should be protecting the centre backs from the World's best getting in that position, leaving the likes of Tarkowski to defend how he has for Everton all season. With Branthwaite along side him, there would be pace in the centre of defence anyway to make up for Tarkowski's lack of it, and he is so good with all the other attributes you mentioned.
Son is high class. probably underrated because he plays for Tottenham.

That's true, but Southgate doesn't really play a high defensive line and risky playstyle.

Maguire this season has been pretty solid, mostly was in the national team too, even in his worst prem seasons.

You have many options you could use without a big stomach ache, Brantwhaite, Guehi, Stones, Tomori, him, Konsa just to name a few.