January 2015 transfer window ( No GIFs allowed )(Nor fish puns ffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley's absence from day one wrecked our season before it got started. We have no real substitute for him despite all the midfield players we have at the club. If Martinez goes into the transfer market he needs to be looking at that. The Cleverley rumours suggest he already is.

ACM and an experienced CB have to be the areas looked at very seriously in the near future. I'd have said RB a few weeks ago too, but Browning looks like he might be able to come through there.

Gerrard will play there till his legs drop off, and how can you not start Jordan Horrenderson? Fabien will fight for his place on the right side of Merseyside. It'd probably mean the end of Gibbo though.
Good call CCF yes I think that Darron moving on is highly likely and Delphine taking up that berth

Barkley's absence from day one wrecked our season before it got started. We have no real substitute for him despite all the midfield players we have at the club. If Martinez goes into the transfer market he needs to be looking at that. The Cleverley rumours suggest he already is.

ACM and an experienced CB have to be the areas looked at very seriously in the near future. I'd have said RB a few weeks ago too, but Browning looks like he might be able to come through there.

This anti- Naismith stuff is boring Dave. I'd play him ten times out of ten ahead of Cleverley.

I think everyone else agrees that Naismith has done well and is a better fit in the 10 role than up front or out wide. He's an excellent pair with Barkely at ACM. A wide player, preferably left-sided, is what the team needs most. If Atsu doesn't prove any good, maybe two.

This anti- Naismith stuff is boring Dave. I'd play him ten times out of ten ahead of Cleverley.
No, I'm just saying that's not what Naismith gives you. A player who can shuttle between deep in his own half to attack all game. Naismith cant do that consistently. He does it now and then, but his heat map would show him peppering around the area between the opposition 18 yard box and the centre circle.

We just dont have a ready replacement for Barkley.

I think everyone else agrees that Naismith has done well and is a better fit in the 10 role than up front or out wide. He's an excellent pair with Barkely at ACM. A wide player, preferably left-sided, is what the team needs most. If Atsu doesn't prove any good, maybe two.

They cant play together though, and they're chalk and cheese in what they each offer.

A younger and less injury prone Gibson might have offered us an option to Barkley. Not in the same class, obviously.

They cant play together though, and they're chalk and cheese in what they each offer.

A younger and less injury prone Gibson might have offered us an option to Barkley. Not in the same class, obviously.

Agreed, but where does Cleverly play? Even if you assume Barry declines, given the length of his contract you've got 6 at three positions: Barkley, Barry, Besic, Gibson, McCarthy, Naismith

Plus the kids that Martinez may want to move into those positions. Not that a player like Cleverly can't be added to the squad, I just don't see what that does unless one or more is certain to leave.

Agreed, but where does Cleverly play? Even if you assume Barry declines, given the length of his contract you've got 6 at three positions: Barkley, Barry, Besic, Gibson, McCarthy, Naismith

Plus the kids that Martinez may want to move into those positions. Not that a player like Cleverly can't be added to the squad, I just don't see what that does unless one or more is certain to leave.
When Barkley is out injured, Cleverly can come into the squad in his place against the teams that Naisy may not be right for. Barks and Nais are two different types of ACM. Cleverly is just a more wank version of the Barkley type.

I think Naismith is brilliant for us, but he doesn't offer us the ability to run with the ball like Barkley does. Cleverly could be coverage for that role when we need it.

When Barkley is out injured, Cleverly can come into the squad in his place against the teams that Naisy may not be right for. Barks and Nais are two different types of ACM. Cleverly is just a more wank version of the Barkley type.

I think Naismith is brilliant for us, but he doesn't offer us the ability to run with the ball like Barkley does. Cleverly could be coverage for that role when we need it.

Fair points, but I don't think that's the greatest need

Fair points, but I don't think that's the greatest need
Lord no...I actually think we need a creative ACM more. Ross can play on the counter, unnamed ACM plays against the bus, Naismith as rotation for graft and goals. I do think we often struggle to find the right pass when the opposition box is filled up.

We need an attacking fullback to back up Coleman (although maybe we held off because of youth dev?). We need wide players...we're woefully short there when Kev is out. Whether we need a CB is dependent on the progress of Galloway and Browning.

GK is probably required. Unless a miracle occurs and Joel learns to catch...Howard is getting older and has always been prone to an odd mistake...I think we need his successor in soon, even if it's just for competition and to learn our defenders.

Cleverley though has experience in holding midfield roles with Carrick (so can do the pressing side of the game) and, as the more attacking one of that orthodox CM pairing, has the energy levels to get further up the pitch and combine with his attackers.

It's hard to tell what Besic gives, admittedly, because he's still developing, but I doubt he's the archetypal 'box to box' player. The others you mention dont offer this either.

By the way, I'm not a massive fan of Cleverley's. He looks ok. I'm just highlighting that Martinez turning his thoughts to him suggests he too realises we have no cover for Barkley and could do with it.

Gerrard will play there till his legs drop off, and how can you not start Jordan Horrenderson? Fabien will fight for his place on the right side of Merseyside. It'd probably mean the end of Gibbo though.

he aint starting ahead of mccarthy or barry though. besic hasn't put a foot wrong after his first touch and barkley will be a future CM i honestly believe. thre's 3 there than can be our midfield for over a decade to come.

i don't mind delph, if it was between him and gibson, i'd prefer him for sure.

but he's just got into the england squad, he wouldn't see many starts here.

gerrard doesn't deserve to be starting, rodgers could be gone at the end of the season, if i was taking over from him i wouldn't be the one to say i'd give gerrard a new contract - he obviously will. but look at the competition apart from that, lucas, allen and emre can't.

delph is ahead of all those already, i wouldn't say there's too much difference between him and horrenderson atm.

No, I'm just saying that's not what Naismith gives you. A player who can shuttle between deep in his own half to attack all game. Naismith cant do that consistently. He does it now and then, but his heat map would show him peppering around the area between the opposition 18 yard box and the centre circle.

We just dont have a ready replacement for Barkley.

can't argue with that. with osman getting a new contract though, i don't see martinez looking at this position. i would quite like to see lukaku there behind eto'o in some games. reckon it would work brilliantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.