January 2015 transfer window ( No GIFs allowed )(Nor fish puns ffs)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be going very cheap won't he with him stalling over a contract?

I thought Ayew was one of the standout young players in the 2010 World Cup. Milner would be a great team player for us with the effort he puts in, technically very good but slower than the proverbial glacier and probably not one to excite our collective juices.

10363695_859233484107436_6938797926479596720_n.jpg

Should just do what I do on footy manager and sign as many of them as possible and then sell them off at a later date. Make an absolute fortune.

Would be a good alternative for squad rotation. I would welcome Montoya. Nothing against Hibbert but he's getting no younger and the alternatives are space.

Would be a good alternative for squad rotation. I would welcome Montoya. Nothing against Hibbert but he's getting no younger and the alternatives are space.

....couple of potential youngsters on the horizon, I appreciate that potential might not be realised but RM might think the likes of Jonjo Kenny could be ready for 1st team squad in 18monhs for a transition from Hibbert.

Many fans from other clubs are probably thinking the very same thing. However, the truth is that it isn't as simple or clear cut as that.

Bony for example cost £12m and came from the Dutch league, which is notorious for masking a players potential. Players can shine over there and come here and be atrocious; equally others can shine there and be very good. That's the problem: taking players who succeed in the Netherlands is a risk. Martinez had just signed for the club and we didn't have a significant transfer budget, thus went for players he knew or believed could rely on without a huge risk. A gamble could have paid off, but that's with hindsight. With regards to this summer? Well, we've spent a lot on a player who has relatively proven himself in league (for both us and WBA) and was wanted by a significant percentage of the fan base. Was it the right option? Could the money have been better spent? The jury is still out. However, I doubt we could have afforded both and simply saying we should have bought Bony doesn't take into consideration all of the above.

Tadic is much of the same for Bony. Well thought of in the Eredivisie, but that doesn't always mean much and was he a priority for us?

In hindsight he could have been a fantastic buy, yet hindsight is hindsight. It's easy to say afterwards we should have done this and that etc.

Song probably boiled down to his relatively well known poor attitude, possible wage demands and the fact that isn't a weak position for us.

It is easy to look at a successful transfer and remarks, "We should have gone for those! Our scouts are poor etc...".

The hard part is getting the right transfer in the first place and making it succeed. I'm not saying you're wrong by the way, or our scouts are perfect. I think our transfer dealings could be better, but it isn't as simple as some may wish it to be.

Maybe more importantly, who was the last player purchased that was not a known commodity? Mirallas? The club simply doesn't have money to spend speculatively. Lukaku and McCarthy were (relatively) big signings, but known commodities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back