Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A double swoop for Tierney and Dembele at Celtic would be very welcome.
Not sure about Dembele (at some of the prices quoted in the press). Maybe at £15m to £20m (not sure about the £30m mentioned though).
Tierney looks a prospect. Baines on the way out now (been great for us in my view). So, he can fill that void. Trouble is, other clubs will be in the hunt too.

Not sure about Dembele (at some of the prices quoted in the press). Maybe at £15m to £20m (not sure about the £30m mentioned though).
Tierney looks a prospect. Baines on the way out now (been great for us in my view). So, he can fill that void. Trouble is, other clubs will be in the hunt too.
We are going to have to pay through the nose for a striker in January and it may as well be someone who has years ahead of them. Of course the big question is if he can do it in England.

One advantage we have if we go for either player is using James McCarthy as a makeweight in the deal. I would say all concerned would be happy with that.

Wonder if a player like Llorente is looking for regular football.
Seemed to work well with Sigurdsson last season.
Think he might be past it. I know he's not getting regular football, but he has looked pedestrian when he's played. We really need a true starter.

I think we'd both agree that the acquisition of Sigurdsson was an example of exactly the wrong type of player. Buying the best players from Premier league teams who are in their mid to late 20's will only lead to difficulties.

The issue I have with Sessegnon is his value has probably increased 5/6 times in 18 months. I think sometimes you have to look at a lad and say we missed the boat a bit and look at the next target. We have done well with Holgate, DCL, Vlasic, the lad from Fulham we got in getting in early enough. I'll be honest I'd be very happy with the lad from Bristol City if the price was right.

I love Sigurdsson as much as anyone, but yeah, we shouldn't be making a habit of buying 27/28 year olds in general, unless maybe they are CBs. There are exceptions - I would take N'Zonzi over Morgan tomorrow for example as an upgrade is an upgrade.

I also GUESS I understand going for an older, more established CF knowing that DCL is right there behind him. But LB go younger. Could use a younger CB with upside, too. Wingers, go young.

Wha? Have you seen him play?

We are a complete mess on free kicks and corners, so he'd help there, but he covers about twice as much ground as Morgan and can actually go forward. He'd be a massive upgrade.

You’re assuming he’ll be allowed run around the place and not be told to hold the Centre backs hand.

People forget that pro footballers are like chess peices and do exactly what is asked of them by the manager. Obviously there’s a couples of exceptions but in the main they do what they’re told

Swerve the Llorente and Walcott shouts ffs...if they're crap for Spurs and Arsenal then they're not good enough for us, simple. What makes you think signing a team of all the cast-offs and rejects from top 6 clubs will make us challenge them? Mental thinking.

Walcott scored 19 goals last season. It’s not about challenging the top 6, it’s about us improving as a team. Do those two improve us? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back