Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally ive seen no sign of that, we have signed many players of ALL ages, nothing wrong with snapping up young talent for the future, clearly mistakes have been made with regards the lack of some signings, but without going all Zat, the only way we get really good players is to sometimes get them early on in their careers.

But basically, as I said, we have signed players from the Wayne Rooneys, Ashley Williams, Ganas, Morgans, Lewis Gibsons and Vlasics.

The only way we can compete at the very top is by signing and playing young players.

We haven’t got many players in their prime in our squad. We should be prioritising signing players in the 24-28 bracket who can improve the first team imo.

Then these would be average premier league players...pointless.

Have you seen him play because if you had you wouldn't be comparing him any of Vlasic/Lookman/Bolaisse/Henry/Sandro. One hasn't kicked a ball in over a year, one can barely kick a ball and the rest are unproven kids.

Inaki Williams is a top player now. Only 23 and most importantly has a release clause so if the player is keen (big wages should do) we can actually get him.

Well worth 50m and still a bargain compared to some of our summer signings.

The target guy is William Jose - he's a bit like Giroud. He's perfect for what we need and a good age. If you can think of any better then fair enough but of the players mentioned he would be my pick.

I would prioritise a CB too and two fullbacks but if we have money then there's no reason we can't also get those two.

Inaki is not worth 50mil...cant hit a barn door.

Jose is a 2nd rate player...

Why would we have to sign average players?

But right now average would be an improvement.

If they helped us win games it wouldn’t be pointless would it?!

The very top players go to Real Madrid/PSG/UTD/Chelsea
The ones below go to Arsenal, Spurs etc
The ones below go to Liverpool etc
Then we can go for the ones who failed at those clubs (Schneiderlin)...or those too big for those below (Sigurdsson)...

I don't see how we would consistently break into the top 6 with these types of players...

Better to aim for potential stars, play them and allow the team/squad to develop over a few seasons...

The very top players go to Real Madrid/PSG/UTD/Chelsea
The ones below go to Arsenal, Spurs etc
The ones below go to Liverpool etc
Then we can go for the ones who failed at those clubs (Schneiderlin)...or those too big for those below (Sigurdsson)...

I don't see how we would consistently break into the top 6 with these types of players...

Better to aim for potential stars, play them and allow the team/squad to develop over a few seasons...
And what if we get relegated because the kids aren’t ready?

I’m all for giving young players opportunities but right now we can’t afford to wait a few years for them to improve. Our team needs to improve more quickly than that.

The only way we can compete at the very top is by signing and playing young players.

Then these would be average premier league players...pointless.

Inaki is not worth 50mil...cant hit a barn door.

Jose is a 2nd rate player...

But its a major, major risk, young players are ALWAYS a gamble.

And what if we get relegated because the kids aren’t ready?

I’m all for giving young players opportunities but right now we can’t afford to wait a few years for them to improve. Our team needs to improve more quickly than that.

Well, as an example...lets say we have 2 players for each position in the squad+3up front...so 23 squad players;

Pickford/???
Coleman/Kenny
Keane/Holgate
???/???
???/Baines
Gana/Baningime
Davies
/???
Sigurdsson/Dowell
Lookman
/Onyekuru
Vlasic
/???
???/DCL/Niasse

As of next summer we'd potentially have 9 u21 players in the squad. Of those 9 who would you want to replace/upgrade in the squad if were aiming for top 6?

Keeper - we need to get a decent backup...robles would be ideal if he extends.
LCB - I'd go for Jose Gimenez whose contract expires in the summer...right sided but he can adapt and would get games
LCB - Not sure who I would go for as rotation off the top of my head
LB - Sessegnon from Fulham. Would have a clear path to the first team due to Baines age
CM - Again, off the top of my head not sure who id go for
Wing - Richarlison. Watford signed him for 12mil and for 25mil he would complete our wingers
Centre forward - Id go for Dembele at Celtic.

Gimenez / Sessegnon / Richarlison / Dembele

Would still need GK (Robles to extend?) / LCB /CM players on rotation

Sell
Stekelenburg
Cuco
Williams
Jagielka
Pennington
Browning
Galloway
Besic
Klaassen
Mirallas
Bolasie
Lennon
etc etc etc

Pickford/???
Coleman/Kenny
Keane/Holgate
???/???
???/Baines
Gana/Baningime
Davies
/???
Sigurdsson/Dowell
Lookman
/Onyekuru
Vlasic
/???
???/DCL/Niasse

As of next summer we'd potentially have 9 u21 players in the squad. Of those 9 who would you want to replace/upgrade in the squad if were aiming for top 6?

All of them.

Teams at the bottom;

Sell Schneiderlin to West Brom who we outbid

Sell Mirallas to Moyes at West Ham

Punt Bolasie back to Palace

Blackmail Swansea into taking Sigurdsson and Williams back when they hit 20th place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back