January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..like in the summer I reckon he’s been given a specific amount of money to spend in this window, plus any monies he’s able to bring in via sales. It’s just my assumption. If it is the case, it’s a much better position than we were in under the previous regime.

Hasn’t it always been sell to buy previously? Apart from when bill would stash a few notes that is

Only figure quoted i saw anywhere was saying 70m, if that's half way right and is not inclusive of player sales then no excuse to not seriously sort out the squads deficiencies

To be honest mate, he's got his striker, we need a left back but other than that I'm not sure I want Sam spending anymore money. I'd definitely take Turan and/or Gaitan of the price was right (which it will be) and Nzonzi if it's not too hefty and we can recoup reasonable money from Schneiderlin.
I can't say I want us to go mental on lads like Walcott and end up having to sell younger players to finance it.

On the outs Barkley will go and I think we will still get reasonable money to go most of the way to the Tosun fee. A left field shout may be Leicester if they get a fortune for Mahrez.
Also Besic, Lennon, Niasse, Mirallas, Martina should all be moved on if we get the right figure.

If we play our cards right that should see us about where we started, maybe a 20-30 million spend. Any good young players Walsh sees can and should be added alongside that, Vlasic/Lookman type deals.

I'm very nervous we are going to go and whack serious money on lads who will do a job for 18 month.

As I've said, get a left back, then if a deal looks great value do it but I wouldn't be looking at much out proactively.

While a winger such as Walcott and a CM such as Seri would be fantastic, the reality is we have one priority left, and that is LB. That should be where we put most of our effort now, into the likes of Phillip Max, or in the case we cant get him, Luke Shaw types.

While we could use a CM, and a winger, the reality is Gueye plays DM well, either Schneiderlin, McCarthy, or Rooney can slide in next to him, and Siggurdson, Klaassen, and Vlasic can play better as an attacking mid now that we hopefully have an actual striker. With Bolasie on one wing, that allows us to play either Lookman or DCL on the other. Neither is a priority like LB.

Only figure quoted i saw anywhere was saying 70m, if that's half way right and is not inclusive of player sales then no excuse to not seriously sort out the squads deficiencies

..yep, I think that was the figure from Daily Mail that I included in the morning summary. I don’t know where they got that from or how accurate it is. I also don’t know if that includes additional salary but I think there will be a specific spend envelope plus any monies raised from outgoings.

..yep, I think that was the figure from Daily Mail that I included in the morning summary. I don’t know where they got that from or how accurate it is. I also don’t know if that includes additional salary but I think there will be a specific spend envelope plus any monies raised from outgoings.

If £70m is correct then we better end the window with a new LB, CM and even CB for £43m.

While a winger such as Walcott and a CM such as Seri would be fantastic, the reality is we have one priority left, and that is LB. That should be where we put most of our effort now, into the likes of Phillip Max, or in the case we cant get him, Luke Shaw types.

While we could use a CM, and a winger, the reality is Gueye plays DM well, either Schneiderlin, McCarthy, or Rooney can slide in next to him, and Siggurdson, Klaassen, and Vlasic can play better as an attacking mid now that we hopefully have an actual striker. With Bolasie on one wing, that allows us to play either Lookman or DCL on the other. Neither is a priority like LB.

...another point Allardyce made today was that the team/squad lacks pace. I prefer to describe it as lacking athleticism (pace, size, strength, running power and mobility). Players who make the pitch look small, players who ‘get us up the pitch’. I’m sure it’s why he’s rushed Bolasie back and might be an indication of the type he’s keen to get in.

...another point Allardyce made today was that the team/squad lacks pace. I prefer to describe it as lacking athleticism (pace, size, strength, running power and mobility). Players who make the pitch look small, players who ‘get us up the pitch’. I’m sure it’s why he’s rushed Bolasie back and might be an indication of the type he’s keen to get in.
they need olympic sprinting skills to reach and first touch down one of pickfords hoofs

If we had 70m then take the remaining 43m to Germany and come back with Phillip Max and Thorgan Hazard. while there find someone to buy Mirallas, Schneiderlin and Besic.

Bring in Nzonzi on loan.

Use money from outgoings to fund De Vrij with some left over.

Get on it Walshy.

*yes, i realize it is silly for January (or probably ever really) and would never happen - though, with a shortened window and WC this summer I am betting that will be a mess too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back