Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's frustrating me too mate. I've no entitled thought process to think Everton should be better than anyone but when you see the squad Liverpool have built under FSG for an average of roughly 24m a season net spend it makes my blood boil because Everton can and couldve done the same. Even VVD we couldve afforded, not that he'd have came but we couldve afforded it and still had 70m to spend going by what we've spent in the summer. Just a joke mate and it just shows the issues stem from the top down and Moshiri really needs to sort it out and Walsh needs to start earning his keep.

Edit: to add to that we must be the only team in history to spend nearly 150m and end up in an early relegation battle. That starts at the top of the club for me
It makes me laugh at kopites moaning about the net spend under FSG. Who cares what your net spend is, if you’ve improved your team. Would the kopites prefer the expenditure of united, which seems similar to us in many aspects. A number of players brought in for big money, but no real semblance of a strategy of how to implement these players, within a cohesive system.

True, just my opinion on what's available and what we might be able to get.
"what we might be able to get" is the part that hurts me the most... It has been a very depressing season so far and we are only halfway through it. At least I can comfort myself with my FIFA save where I have somehow managed to sign Werner, Dolberg, Hummels and Tah. As well as making Niasse a goal scoring machine.

"what we might be able to get" is the part that hurts me the most... It has been a very depressing season so far and we are only halfway through it. At least I can comfort myself with my FIFA save where I have somehow managed to sign Werner, Dolberg, Hummels and Tah. As well as making Niasse a goal scoring machine.
Unfortunately, I live in Liverpool and work with Kopites, so I cannot comfort myself in anything apart from that the season is at least halfway through.

Unfortunately, I live in Liverpool and work with Kopites, so I cannot comfort myself in anything apart from that the season is at least halfway through.
I'm sorry for the pain you have to go through. My close friend who I watch a lot of matches with is an Arsenal fan so we are both going through a lot at the moment

That's all fine and dandy but if we keep drawing and losing games who the hell are we going to convince to come here??
When the best we can attract is from clubs below us then that suggests the issue has been there despite our recent league result also.

For what it's worth, I said it last year and it's even more true now. This is a perfect time to rip the squad up and start again. Bring in a young ambitious coach in the summer and start a mass exodus of the senior squad. Replace them all with younger players and build upon that. I'm not talking 18 year old year, early 20s, talent that hasn't shone where they are. Look to develop a scouting network that actually scouts players from around the world and develop from there. Yes we aren't going to compete at the top but 150 million less and we haven't exactly improved one bit anyway.

It's the perfect time to do it as well even more so than last year. We have 6-7 young players already at the club we can build a future around and if say at least 5 or so senior players as well. Start from the beginning and develop a strong squad from nothing and then 4-5 years time we can have a team to be proud of and hopefully a manager still who takes us somewhere.

Along the way we will have to sell some of these players sure but for big profit and that is where the development can come into it. Same as them lot, make a massive profit on a player and strengthen with the cash.

But the point is we have a squad of players who mainly are old enough to have experience to be able to play in the team and not old enough that we can plan at least 5 years around the lot of them. Create competition and hopefully we can progress without resorting to throwing 100s of millions away to act like we are big time and then produce seasons like this one

When the best we can attract is from clubs below us then that suggests the issue has been there despite our recent league result also.

For what it's worth, I said it last year and it's even more true now. This is a perfect time to rip the squad up and start again. Bring in a young ambitious coach in the summer and start a mass exodus of the senior squad. Replace them all with younger players and build upon that. I'm not talking 18 year old year, early 20s, talent that hasn't shone where they are. Look to develop a scouting network that actually scouts players from around the world and develop from there. Yes we aren't going to compete at the top but 150 million less and we haven't exactly improved one bit anyway.

It's the perfect time to do it as well even more so than last year. We have 6-7 young players already at the club we can build a future around and if say at least 5 or so senior players as well. Start from the beginning and develop a strong squad from nothing and then 4-5 years time we can have a team to be proud of and hopefully a manager still who takes us somewhere.

Along the way we will have to sell some of these players sure but for big profit and that is where the development can come into it. Same as them lot, make a massive profit on a player and strengthen with the cash.

But the point is we have a squad of players who mainly are old enough to have experience to be able to play in the team and not old enough that we can plan at least 5 years around the lot of them. Create competition and hopefully we can progress without resorting to throwing 100s of millions away to act like we are big time and then produce seasons like this one
If we do something like that I can see us being relegated. I like your idea but I'm not sure if that is the way. Hell I don't even know what the way is anymore

It's frustrating me too mate. I've no entitled thought process to think Everton should be better than anyone but when you see the squad Liverpool have built under FSG for an average of roughly 24m a season net spend it makes my blood boil because Everton can and couldve done the same. Even VVD we couldve afforded, not that he'd have came but we couldve afforded it and still had 70m to spend going by what we've spent in the summer. Just a joke mate and it just shows the issues stem from the top down and Moshiri really needs to sort it out and Walsh needs to start earning his keep.

Edit: to add to that we must be the only team in history to spend nearly 150m and end up in an early relegation battle. That starts at the top of the club for me
It's because we bought players and not a team mate. I believe there were 3 inputs into the transfer activity altogether but essentially we bought Walsh and koeman players without anyone at the club communicating as to where they would play and what system we would use.

I have wrote more on the subject previously but it's embarrassing from our club to do that. Biggest opportunity we have had financial wise and we threw it away to sign Barkley replacement over and over again forgetting that only one of them can effectively play.

Oh and the striker bit, you would expect that from a newly promoted league 2 team, not a premier league club who sold a striker to fund everything but again long discussed topic that one

Agree with this. Whilst it’s amusing tonight to see the RS fanbase weep over losing “wee phil” in the cold light of day tomorrow they’ll have sold a player for £142 million whom they initially paid £8.5 million for. This is exactly what we need to be doing.

To an extent we did it with Stones and Lukaku- we just totally messed up what we did with that money. Nothing wrong with “sell to buy”, most clubs have to do it. You just have to make sure you buy to the same standard you sell.

Unless they were top quality I don’t want to see a signing over the age of 24 this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back