Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue we have had for a long time now is that when we do get possession, no-one moves. Under koeman they all occupied the same space on the pitch and even now, when we get the ball we never have an outlet. I'm not talking hoof it to tosun or lewen but like last night Sig had it half way line and just turned around and lost it. That's the difference between us and the good teams, sigg turns and plays it forward to a player and we then are on the attack. Far too much players just lose possession when they have it or we just give the ball away so sloppily.

Compare us to city for example. Yes they are better than us and I don't mean it in the sense we should be winning 5-0 every week. What I mean is when one of them have the ball they know who to pass it to and where they will be. Makes them attack so efficiently because they train on that every week. Barca at their extreme knew it 3 passes in advance! If Rooney or siggurdson or whoever got the ball and had (and knew) where the winger was going, where the player behind him was pushing to, what channel to play the striker in etc then we would be much more effective. Instead we don't have that and the players you expect to push up are actually holding their position behind the ball expecting it to come back at them again.

I know im banging on about the left back position but IMO the above issues stem from Cuco's inability in this position.

The goalkeeper and defence do not have a quick out ball to the left hand side because they simply don't trust him, there were times on Friday, Cuco was free down the left side when we had the ball centrally, and every time we looked for balls through the middle or looked to switch to the right.

Our left sided midfielder is obviously under instruction not not leave to bigger gap between himself and Cuco, therefore when we do look to attack, there is no left sided player breaking forward. This, straight away limits our options going forward.

Our team looks unbalanced because players are looking to cover Cuco, our central defence is being pulled left, our DM's therefore drop deeper to cover them.

When we are attacked down our right these issues don't arise because only the right sided midfielder need to cover, leaving our central defenders to defend centrally.

If you play players in their correct positions you stand a greater chance of winning football matches.

If you don't have the correct player for a position, you go and find one, or you sacrifice the whole balance of a team.

Simples.

That really is the crux of our current mess. In signing Martina does that point to Koeman having poor judgement, look at Klassen and Sandro for example, even Keane.
I think Keane is a good player, he's just suffered this season even more than the other players, Koeman consistently played he when we were getting hammered, that has probably knocked his confidence really bad. If he gets back to doing the basics I'm sure he will come good. Martina might not be very good but due to some injury problems, he has come in and done a job of sorts, the other 2 must be truely dreadfull even in training and they hardly ever make the bench let alone the first team.

Selling our players takes no time at all but buying them takes an age
It's because we are desperate to get rid, of the money grabbers. The 2 just gone don't play and steal wage. We did though make it particularly easy for united in the summer, selling arguably our best player and didn't even try to push them to the limit with fees, he was worth more, they wanted him bad we didn't want to sell, also he had 2 year contract still to run with us.

Not always. Marc Albrighton, Danny Simpson, Robert Huth from bottom half team as well as Jamie Vardy, Kasper Schmiechel, Wes Morgan and Leonardo Ulloa from lower divisions and a few from more obscure/low ranked European teams.

I take your point though. Lightning rarely strikes twice in the same spot

The Leicester situation can't really be used as a template can it... it was a lottery win never to happen again. Using that strategy will almost always end in disaster

to be honest i'd rather jib the Europa off, esp if we have to start our season in june. it completely knackers up our preparation and makes it harder to do transfer business..

id be happy with 7th and no Europa this year. work on the squad in pre season and go for a much better start to the 2018/19 season

If we did qualify and had to start in june id utilise the squad and youth team. We would have a decent 11 from the u23s before we start loaning any of them out. Once we get over the injuries the likes of kenny, holgate, davies, DCl and lookman might not be starters so it would be ideal to give them competetive games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back