Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've answered your own questions mate...

So basically If we played Gana as a box to box player, is this guy similar but can pass and shoot? Or a different type of player...

Gana is a poor box-to-box player - which has been established in the first half of the season when we tried to play Schneiderlin as the sitter and Gana pushed on.

Gana's passing is pretty poor. He gets forward well but doesn't have the end product really.

He's much better as the screener in front of our defence - the role he has played in during our good performances this campaign (there aren't many).

West Ham at home, H'Field at home, and in the second half v Swansea when Schneiderlin went off and we had a midfield three of Gana-Davies-Rooney.

I think that combination works well and I think McCarthy and Davies - once we get back into some games against 'lesser' opposition - will be vying for that role. That system gets the best out of Gana and Rooney, and in truth Davies too.

Doucoure is more of a classic box-to-box player than Gana. He's strong in the tackle and pretty quick, but also better in the final third. Has a worldy of a shot on him and the energy to get up and down.

You've answered your own questions mate...

So basically If we played Gana as a box to box player, is this guy similar but can pass and shoot? Or a different type of player...

Different. We'd play Gana behind him. He can tackle a bit and he can play as a 6, he seems like a responsible player mind you. N'Zonzi is more of a destroyer and is better in the tackle, while Doucoure is better with the ball IMO. Doucoure can get into the other 18 and score, but he's just a terrific guy to win the ball or take the first pass from a ball already won and take off the other way. Fast, terrific passer even at pace, super decision maker - seems to find the open person constantly no matter where they are. Not a killer ball type, though, just in terms of midfield distribution. He'd play in the role McCarthy or Gana was playing recently with Morgan sitting deeper as a 6. Think Gana should be playing there and someone like Doucoure who can run and pass the ball out of our end once we've got it back.

He hasn't been stripped of the 7 shirt, matey. Coutinho is wearing 14 :)

I do think he'll be off, though. And yes, if he's available would like to see us try. Doesn't really solve our lack of pace/ageing players issue, though.

Must have misread it someplace then mate.

He would solve our lack of being able to take a ball past a player and lack of anyone capable of moving issue though ;p

Gana is a poor box-to-box player - which has been established in the first half of the season when we tried to play Schneiderlin as the sitter and Gana pushed on.

Gana's passing is pretty poor. He gets forward well but doesn't have the end product really.

He's much better as the screener in front of our defence - the role he has played in during our good performances this campaign (there aren't many).

West Ham at home, H'Field at home, and in the second half v Swansea when Schneiderlin went off and we had a midfield three of Gana-Davies-Rooney.

I think that combination works well and I think McCarthy and Davies - once we get back into some games against 'lesser' opposition - will be vying for that role. That system gets the best out of Gana and Rooney, and in truth Davies too.

Doucoure is more of a classic box-to-box player than Gana. He's strong in the tackle and pretty quick, but also better in the final third. Has a worldy of a shot on him and the energy to get up and down.

So we could paid the two of them and punt McCarthy and Schneiderlin....and Klaassen...and Besic.

I'm in.

Guess we will see shortly, Italian media linking us with Silva at AC Milan - wasn't that where Walsh spent a couple of days meeting their president etc last summer.

My guess is nothing will come of it and they where actually bemused by a PE Teacher representing a premier league club

Not sure Silva was even at AC Milan when Walsh was out there.

I have could of pretty much wrote all that myself word for word RE: the gana, Davies , Rooney midfield, its been the basis behind our best performances this season

West Ham aren't willing to meet Anderlecht's asking price at the moment. That may change but Anderlecht want to keep him until June.

I don't get the fuss anyway. Looks a half-decent player from the little I saw of him last season, but I can't really comment for sure if he is or not.

Plus, we have too many holding midfielders as it is until we get rid of a few.

Do we really have any holding midfielders? I don't rank Gana or McCarthy in that role, only Morgan and he's been badly gash.

I have could of pretty much wrote all that myself word for word RE: the gana, Davies , Rooney midfield, its been the basis behind our best performances this season

Yep, that midfield has a mix of everything.

Ultimately it can't be played in every game.

I do think though, if McCarthy stays fit and Gana too (we don't know how bad his injury actually is), then Gana-Rooney-McCarthy can be a good midfield to play against the stronger sides or away, and at home against sides we should have more of the ball, Gana-Davies-Rooney.

That midfield has energy in Gana, who can pretty much cover the entirety of the pitch in front of the defence.

A playmaker in Rooney, who is so much better receiving the ball while he is facing goal.

And a box-to-box player to engage a high press and make runs beyond the attack.

However, it does lack height/physical presence.

Agree. Gana is an elite ball winning defensive mid. Keep him there.

My concern is that McCarthy is not a good enough box to box guy, either. He's also more of a DM or a 6. Wants to hold the ball, pass it backwards and sideways. Davies is a bit better, runs with it, but he's almost better playing the creative final ball. McCarthy to me would be Gana's backup or partner if we played two DMs. Doucoure is MUCH better than either. He gets the ball and he's gone. We really don't have that player, although we've asked Gana to play it. Rooney roams around and can play it a bit. But you put Bolaisse wide, Siggy, Rooney, and Tosun who has good movement out there with Doucoure to move the ball quickly and efficiently, you've changed our team.

But again, if your left mid is covering for your left back for 90 minutes, no number 8 is going to have as many options as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back